US House Redistricting: Georgia
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:55:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  US House Redistricting: Georgia
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9]
Author Topic: US House Redistricting: Georgia  (Read 39043 times)
lowtech redneck
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: August 25, 2011, 10:42:10 AM »

Dunwoody is pretty pricey, is it not?

The median income for a household in the CDP was $82,838, and the median income for a family was $100,796.

I was thinking more about the areas between Dunwoody and south Dekalb, like Doraville and Tucker-places that have seen substantial hispanic growth but relatively lackluster black growth.  I guess it could just be a social snowballing effect ("hey, this family member/friend of mine, who happens to be my own ethnicity, just moved to this place and says that its great!  Let's move there and say the same thing to other family/friends who are coincidentally the same ethnicity as us!).

Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #201 on: August 27, 2011, 06:06:37 PM »

Finally got around to looking up the amended map. Here's a link for anyone that's curious.

Kingston gets Moody AFB after all, which causes the 1st, 8th, and 12th districts to each rotate a little bit clockwise. The 11th takes in a bit more of Fulton, making the 6th slightly safer. The 3rd gets a bit more of Fayette, at the request of a few state legislators in the area.

The median income for a household in the CDP was $82,838, and the median income for a family was $100,796.

I was thinking more about the areas between Dunwoody and south Dekalb, like Doraville and Tucker-places that have seen substantial hispanic growth but relatively lackluster black growth.  I guess it could just be a social snowballing effect ("hey, this family member/friend of mine, who happens to be my own ethnicity, just moved to this place and says that its great!  Let's move there and say the same thing to other family/friends who are coincidentally the same ethnicity as us!).

That's definitely true for Hispanics, with the language barrier playing a huge role in it.

To give you an overly simplistic answer, blacks aren't moving to Doraville/Tucker/etc. because when someone's moving out into the suburbs it's because of upward social mobility, so they wouldn't be moving into an area that's poorer than the area they left.
lowtech redneck
« Reply #202 on: August 28, 2011, 07:39:14 AM »

Finally got around to looking up the amended map. Here's a link for anyone that's curious.

Kingston gets Moody AFB after all, which causes the 1st, 8th, and 12th districts to each rotate a little bit clockwise. The 11th takes in a bit more of Fulton, making the 6th slightly safer. The 3rd gets a bit more of Fayette, at the request of a few state legislators in the area.

That's definitely true for Hispanics, with the language barrier playing a huge role in it.

To give you an overly simplistic answer, blacks aren't moving to Doraville/Tucker/etc. because when someone's moving out into the suburbs it's because of upward social mobility, so they wouldn't be moving into an area that's poorer than the area they left.

I'm not so sure that applies to Tucker (which is right next door to me), in relation to nearby areas in south Dekalb: http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/bplive/2008/snapshots/PL1377652.html

The job growth percentage might explain it, though (ouch!); now I'm wondering why any hispanics want to move here....
BigSkyBob

« Reply #203 on: August 30, 2011, 11:26:28 PM »

Tomorrow might be final passage. Passed committee today.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/G/GA_GEORGIA_REDISTRICTING_GAOL-?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT
BigSkyBob

« Reply #204 on: September 01, 2011, 12:03:21 AM »

http://www.legis.ga.gov/Joint/reapportionment/Documents/CONGPROP2.html

Passes State Senate, and awaits Governor's signature.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #205 on: October 08, 2011, 05:54:23 AM »

I somehow completely missed this. Not that the end result is surprising in any way.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #206 on: December 26, 2011, 06:14:48 PM »
« Edited: December 26, 2011, 06:18:01 PM by krazen1211 »

http://buckhead.patch.com/articles/lindsey-praises-u-s-approval-of-georgia-redistricting-maps

Precleared.

I believe that wraps up the South?

SC, NC, MS, AL, LA area all finished.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #207 on: December 26, 2011, 07:41:11 PM »

Ah c'mon.  They put me with Barrow and Walton?  Really?  Really?

Angry
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #208 on: December 26, 2011, 09:40:57 PM »

Jesus H. Christ, does Obama care a bit about a Democratic majority in the House.  What was done in GA-12 clearly turned a black influence district in to one where they have no chance at all. 
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #209 on: December 26, 2011, 10:14:34 PM »

Angry

Hey now, don't hate on Barrow! Tongue I think a bigger complaint is that they put both of us in a district that stretches from the Northeast Atlanta suburbs all the way to Vidalia onion country. And the biggest problem is that Paul Broun is now our Congressman Sad
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #210 on: December 27, 2011, 12:20:21 AM »

I would have thought the DOJ would object to GA-12.  Rather surprising they didn't.  Maybe they feel that GA-02 now provides sufficient opportunity in south GA?
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #211 on: December 27, 2011, 10:15:58 AM »

I would have thought the DOJ would object to GA-12.  Rather surprising they didn't.  Maybe they feel that GA-02 now provides sufficient opportunity in south GA?

Georgia also had a secondary lawsuit in place to overturn S5.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #212 on: December 27, 2011, 04:28:23 PM »

Angry

Hey now, don't hate on Barrow! Tongue I think a bigger complaint is that they put both of us in a district that stretches from the Northeast Atlanta suburbs all the way to Vidalia onion country. And the biggest problem is that Paul Broun is now our Congressman Sad
*Grinds teeth together*

What will happen to Woodall?
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #213 on: December 27, 2011, 05:19:03 PM »

Is that the real reason DOJ has been so accommodating to the southern state review? By accepting the plans it negates any section 5 challenge. Many observers think that the court could be ripe to overturn section 5 and this way DOJ maintains its authority without challenge.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #214 on: December 27, 2011, 07:27:08 PM »

Is that the real reason DOJ has been so accommodating to the southern state review? By accepting the plans it negates any section 5 challenge. Many observers think that the court could be ripe to overturn section 5 and this way DOJ maintains its authority without challenge.

After making a massive stink over the Georgia voter verification laws for over a year, they ended up preclearing the plan in August 2010 in about 24 hours. Georgia then dismissed the lawsuit in that case. Slightly complicating the issue was that Georgia AG Thurbert Baker (who is black, btw) refused to do his job and fight the DOJ, so he was bypassed by Sonny Perdue.

http://www.lawyerscommittee.org/projects/voting_rights/page?id=0062

So yeah, they have rolled the DOJ before. Basically the 3 main points of conflict this cycle are South Carolina voter ID, Texas voter ID (which will certainly be withdrawn soon and head to the DC circuit), and Texas redistricting of course.

Attorney General Olens is 'bundling' in generic S5 complaint in all his filings now and dismissing the suits after he gets what he wants.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #215 on: December 28, 2011, 11:46:57 AM »

Not much of an authority though, is it, in that case?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies