US House Redistricting: Georgia (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:37:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  US House Redistricting: Georgia (search mode)
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: US House Redistricting: Georgia  (Read 39625 times)
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2011, 03:03:16 PM »

A few observations.
  • The way the 11th District cuts into looks really awkward, and seems pointless because it only marginally shores up Price's district.
  • See how Forsyth gets cut between two districts? The only reason that happened was to prevent one of that county's ambitious Republicans from winning the administration's super special Hall County district.
  • Notice how the Hall County district with no incumbent gets to keep the same number, while the incumbent Tom Graves gets the new 14th district? I know who the mapmakers supported in the Graves vs. Hawkins primaries last year!
  • Interesting to see Westmoreland getting Fort Benning, though it makes sense.
CD-13 is just a really lousy district. They seemed to put a bunch of white precincts in there guessing that blacks will move in.

They probably wanted to keep the black percentage of the district too high to prevent any possible "packing" VRA lawsuits. And anyway, those probably are the precincts black will move into. Tongue

Could Barrow possibly challenge Kingston in the new 1st? Kingston took a considerable PVI downgrade; 55.5% McCain down from 62%.

Possibly. It's basically the same PVI as the new 12th, though, and in that district he won't have to race against an incumbent in unfamiliar territory.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2011, 06:06:37 PM »

Finally got around to looking up the amended map. Here's a link for anyone that's curious.

Kingston gets Moody AFB after all, which causes the 1st, 8th, and 12th districts to each rotate a little bit clockwise. The 11th takes in a bit more of Fulton, making the 6th slightly safer. The 3rd gets a bit more of Fayette, at the request of a few state legislators in the area.

Dunwoody is pretty pricey, is it not?

The median income for a household in the CDP was $82,838, and the median income for a family was $100,796.

I was thinking more about the areas between Dunwoody and south Dekalb, like Doraville and Tucker-places that have seen substantial hispanic growth but relatively lackluster black growth.  I guess it could just be a social snowballing effect ("hey, this family member/friend of mine, who happens to be my own ethnicity, just moved to this place and says that its great!  Let's move there and say the same thing to other family/friends who are coincidentally the same ethnicity as us!).

That's definitely true for Hispanics, with the language barrier playing a huge role in it.

To give you an overly simplistic answer, blacks aren't moving to Doraville/Tucker/etc. because when someone's moving out into the suburbs it's because of upward social mobility, so they wouldn't be moving into an area that's poorer than the area they left.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #52 on: December 26, 2011, 10:14:34 PM »

Ah c'mon.  They put me with Barrow and Walton?  Really?  Really?

Angry

Hey now, don't hate on Barrow! Tongue I think a bigger complaint is that they put both of us in a district that stretches from the Northeast Atlanta suburbs all the way to Vidalia onion country. And the biggest problem is that Paul Broun is now our Congressman Sad
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies