The Abolition Movement: The Quest to End Regional Inactivity and Indifference
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 10:37:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Abolition Movement: The Quest to End Regional Inactivity and Indifference
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The Abolition Movement: The Quest to End Regional Inactivity and Indifference  (Read 2762 times)
The Artist Formerly Known As and Now Again Known As Ogis
agooji

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 30, 2010, 03:32:26 PM »

What do the regions provide Atlasia as a whole? Originally, the regions were created to provide fair and accurate representation of its district. This is now a moot point. Atlasians no longer register in their home regions, and instead join whichever area that suits their political preferences. Any attempt to accurately represent the region is overthrown by party struggle upon party struggle.

The regional elections are patently predictable. Campaigning is diminished in light of premeditation and number-crunching before-the-fact. In the end, the elections are boring and anticlimactic.

Three of the five regional governments have fairly inactive legislatures, but it is a legitimate concern that people in regional offices may "lose their jobs" and be unable to partake in Atlasian politics. Thus, the abolition of the regions should be complemented by an increase in the size of the Senate. I advocate abolishing the regions and making a second branch of Congress, like a Lower House, House of Representatives, or another type of system if the Atlasian public so desires.

We need to get the ball rolling on Abolition, as it is clear that the original meaning of the regions has been lost, and a new system needs to replace it for the good of the game.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 03:36:32 PM »

Respectfully, man, I have to disagree.

States are the labratories of democracy in real life; the regions equally so in Atlasia.

How do you define the regional legislatures as "inactive"? That varies widely between regions and, from what I've seen, most maintain admirable activity levels.

It also provides an interesting balance to all politics being national. Issues of federalism and "states" rights pop up from time to time as a result.

Regions iz gooder.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 03:40:20 PM »

That is an interesting proposal.  I would say no immediately if you had not included a lower federal house in your proposal.  After all, one of the main functions of the regions is to provide entry level offices to Atlasia.  However, eliminating the regions will also eliminate the Governors and Lt. Governors offices, making President the only executive office in our little forum country.

Honestly, I am split.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 03:48:03 PM »

While I'm sympathetic to its goals, outright abolition is probably unfeasible. The first priority should be to remove regions from the federal government, both in the Senate and in the amendment process.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 05:34:26 PM »

While I'm sympathetic to its goals, outright abolition is probably unfeasible. The first priority should be to remove regions from the federal government, both in the Senate and in the amendment process.

I disagree with the first sentence, but 100% agree with the second one.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 10:53:44 PM »

The Atasian senate as whole isn't much better. How can you attribute the problems widespread in Atlasia to a certain aspect of it. The problem is as I said before. Its the people.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2010, 01:22:14 AM »

I'm not a big fan of regions generally, but what Yankee said is right. The Senate's problems go deeper than just how we elect people, it has to do with the people. While changing some of the way we elect people might shake something loose somewhere, it's not really a direct solution. Though the way regions influence national politics leaves much to be desired, abolishing them accomplishes absolutely nothing and is a net-negative.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2010, 07:09:47 AM »

The only thing we have to change, is change itself!  seems apt here.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2010, 07:45:57 AM »

Abolishing the regions because of these problems seems like cutting your arm off because you have a sprained wrist. It's problematic that the regions are becoming more of one-party states and that competitive regional elections are an anormality, but just abolishing them would do no good for the climate of Atlasia. Rather try to solve the problems rather than eliminate or ignore them.

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2010, 07:49:25 AM »

Abolishing regions wouldn't help in anything. It would cripple the fun.

Let's see main argument against regions: "one party can dominate region". But if we abolish regions and if we'd do everything at-large, biggest party/parties would dominate everything, so this argument is worthless demagogy.
Mr. Taft Republican
Taft4Prez
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2010, 02:10:19 PM »

Abolishing regions wouldn't help in anything. It would cripple the fun.

Let's see main argument against regions: "one party can dominate region". But if we abolish regions and if we'd do everything at-large, biggest party/parties would dominate everything, so this argument is worthless demagogy.
Ditto, it'd be democracy at its worst.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2010, 06:25:06 PM »

how about some ballot initiatives in the various regions? those can make for excitement.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2010, 06:51:49 PM »

how about some ballot initiatives in the various regions? those can make for excitement.

The South used to do those alot, but they usually resulted in hilarious incompetence or stupid things being passed that were almost always reversed or gutted. The problem with ballot initiatives is that people just don't pay attention.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2010, 06:54:08 PM »

The South used to do those alot, but they usually resulted in hilarious incompetence or stupid things being passed that were almost always reversed or gutted. The problem with ballot initiatives is that people just don't pay attention.

I think people would pay more attention to ballot initiatives than to what assemblies and the Senate are up to.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2010, 06:56:28 PM »

This conversation again? Leave the regions alone. They work, they've always worked. For as long as I've been here, there have been tons of people who register in a region other than there own. Things will pick up again, and be back to normal.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2010, 07:01:28 PM »

This conversation again? Leave the regions alone. They work, they've always worked. For as long as I've been here, there have been tons of people who register in a region other than there own. Things will pick up again, and be back to normal.

They mostly work. There are undeniable problems that we shouldn't be adverse to addressing because of any reactionary responses.

I think people would pay more attention to ballot initiatives than to what assemblies and the Senate are up to.

Sure, after the fact. It's not a hypothetical, these things have actually been done before. One of the first things I remember doing in office in Atlasia was actually suing the Southeast for one of their unconstitutional ballot initiatives. They then decided to repeal it. People just vote aye on everything until someone points out they did something idiotic, and then they just repeal it.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2010, 07:03:02 PM »

Although I guess it is true that ballot initiatives would be better than an elected regional legislature. The ideal method would be a universal assembly, like the Pacific (sort of still) has.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2010, 07:21:58 PM »

I oppose this movement.  Not that it matters, it will never get passed anyways.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2010, 07:34:06 PM »

Although I guess it is true that ballot initiatives would be better than an elected regional legislature. The ideal method would be a universal assembly, like the Pacific (sort of still) has.

Elected regional legislatures usually work fine, as they allow most active member to have some input on regional policies and let the zombies (more or less) outside of them. Though the bicameral system the Pacific will have might be an interesting solution.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2010, 07:46:01 PM »

They mostly work. There are undeniable problems that we shouldn't be adverse to addressing because of any reactionary responses.

Not going to lie, that sentance was so smart that I'm confused and my brain is hurting.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2010, 07:47:58 PM »

Not going to lie, that sentance was so smart that I'm confused and my brain is hurting.

I try to speak carefully when it comes to regions Tongue
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2010, 09:03:14 PM »

I try to speak carefully when it comes to regions Tongue

Dude come on, Dont be like that. You know me... you gotta talk slowly and use small words when speaking to me, or else I get lost easily.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2010, 10:29:57 PM »

In regards to attacking Regional Legislatures, I have to disagree.  They have served a valuable purpose - they help get new members/members who have been away for a while an opportunity to get involved.  After my year long exile into the wilderness, I was able to begin rehabilitating myself by serving in the Mideast Legislature.  Valuable members like A-Bob and Purple State started in the Assembly.  Without Legislatures I don't think it would be as easy for newbies to get involved, and I see that as one of the big advantages to having elected bodies other than the National ones.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2011, 03:03:54 AM »

In regards to attacking Regional Legislatures, I have to disagree.  They have served a valuable purpose - they help get new members/members who have been away for a while an opportunity to get involved.  After my year long exile into the wilderness, I was able to begin rehabilitating myself by serving in the Mideast Legislature.  Valuable members like A-Bob and Purple State started in the Assembly.  Without Legislatures I don't think it would be as easy for newbies to get involved, and I see that as one of the big advantages to having elected bodies other than the National ones.

Ben is quite correct here. Regional legislatures are a great source of experience for new Atlasians. Granted there are also Governorships & Lt. Governorships, but without legislatures those tend to be worthless sinecures. Granted some exceptional individuals have managed to put those offices to good use under those circumstances (Vepres, for example), but that aside they tend to make for a poor first experience in Atlasia.
The Artist Formerly Known As and Now Again Known As Ogis
agooji

« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2011, 03:57:59 AM »

Ben is quite correct here. Regional legislatures are a great source of experience for new Atlasians. Granted there are also Governorships & Lt. Governorships, but without legislatures those tend to be worthless sinecures. Granted some exceptional individuals have managed to put those offices to good use under those circumstances (Vepres, for example), but that aside they tend to make for a poor first experience in Atlasia.

Well, entry-level positions in are created by the "Lower House" in my aforementioned plan.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies