Why has there been such antagonism to the idea of Universal Healthcare here?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 06:22:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why has there been such antagonism to the idea of Universal Healthcare here?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Why has there been such antagonism to the idea of Universal Healthcare here?  (Read 3570 times)
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2011, 05:20:46 AM »
« edited: January 04, 2011, 01:54:04 PM by anvikshiki »

Gweithwr,

I agree that the notion of healthcare "models" is a useful abstraction at best and that one can never just import one model tout court, especially in the States where we so often regularly assume that our habits and acquired expectations = the only correct way to do things.  On the other hand, in the mid-'90's, Taiwan did a major study of different ways nations handle health care coverage and developed a hybrid approach for itself.  Models may be useful fictions, but we can still learn from them in crafting improvements.

Torie,

Every major study I'm aware of confirms with what you are saying about price controls.  As mentioned, I neither believe that the U.S will ever adopt some of the major elements of other health care systems nor that it's a good idea to de-incentivize pharmaceutical R&D in the U.S by imposing price controls on that industry here. I have not studied this aspect very much, but at least at first glance, I do think the fix you have in mind for prices for medicines makes sense. 

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2011, 05:53:50 AM »

Because if you can't afford you should simply and quietly go eat s**t and die. Get it?
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies