The Miscellany Act
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:16:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Miscellany Act
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: The Miscellany Act  (Read 6938 times)
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 21, 2004, 03:34:07 PM »
« edited: November 21, 2004, 04:00:06 PM by Senator John F. Kennedy, PPT »

Proposed at the request of Attorney General Peter Bell who e-mailed the act to me.

The Miscellany Act

Section 1: The Census

1. The provisions of this Section shall be considered to be carrying out the Constitutionally mandated Census prescribed in the Apportionment of States to Districts Amendment.

2. The Census shall be taken at noon on the first Friday of March, July and November of each year.

Section 2: Contiguity Borders

Since Hawaii and Alaska lack borders with other US States, they are considered to be contiguous for the purposes of redistricting in the following ways:

1. Alaska is contiguous to Hawaii
2. Alaska is contiguous to Washington
3. Hawaii is contiguous to California

Section 3: Party Platform Definition

For a Party to have a Party Platform under the Organised Parties Amendment, its submitted Party Platform shall meet the following criteria:

1. It shall be at least two hundred words in length.
2. It shall address general political issues or issues relevant to the circumstances of Atlasia.

Section 4: Numerical Definition

For the purposes of all statute, executive orders, judicial rulings and other official documents of the Atlasian government, the following shall be the standard definitions throughout Atlasia:

1. One Billion = 1,000,000,000
2. One Trillion = 1,000,000,000,000

Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2004, 03:37:06 PM »

Proposed at the request of Attorney General Peter Bell who e-mailed the act to me.

The Miscellany Act

1. The provisions of this Section shall be considered to be carrying out the Constitutionally mandated Census prescribed in

the Apportionment of States to Districts Amendment.

2. The Census shall be taken at noon on the first Friday of March, July and November of each year.

Since Hawaii and Alaska lack borders with other US States, they are considered to be contiguous for the purposes of

redistricting in the following ways:

For a Party to have a Party Platform under the Organised Parties Amendment, its submitted Party Platform shall meet the

following criteria:

2. It shall address general political issues or issues relevant to the circumstances of Atlasia.

For the purposes of all statute, executive orders, judicial rulings and other official documents of the Atlasian government,

the following shall be the standard definitions throughout Atlasia:

I like this bill and it has my support. It finally resolves the issue of the census and gives needed criteria for party platforms and gives general standards to that Atlasia needs.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2004, 03:40:13 PM »

HAHA
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2004, 03:41:29 PM »

The only thing needing to be altered in this document is the second clause of section 1, it states the census shall be taken at noon, but not by which time zone. The question is, which time zone do we want? EST? GMT?
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2004, 03:42:02 PM »

EST since that is the official forum time.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2004, 03:44:12 PM »
« Edited: November 21, 2004, 04:00:47 PM by Senator John F. Kennedy, PPT »

The Miscellany Act

1. The provisions of this Section shall be considered to be carrying out the Constitutionally mandated Census prescribed in the Apportionment of States to Districts Amendment.

2. The Census shall be taken at noon Eastern Standard Time on the first Friday of March, July and November of each year.

Since Hawaii and Alaska lack borders with other US States, they are considered to be contiguous for the purposes of redistricting in the following ways:

For a Party to have a Party Platform under the Organised Parties Amendment, its submitted Party Platform shall meet the following criteria:

For the purposes of all statute, executive orders, judicial rulings and other official documents of the Atlasian government, the following shall be the standard definitions throughout Atlasia:

Changed to contain Eastern Standard Time so as to prevent a challenge in the courts of someone registering before noon Pacific Standard time but not Eastern.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2004, 03:45:36 PM »

Should have just called it the anti-TexasGurl being a party act.
it would have passed unanimously!
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2004, 03:47:15 PM »

Should have just called it the anti-TexasGurl being a party act.
it would have passed unanimously!

All you'd have to do would be create a real party platform to get around this, besides, this isn't my creation, take it up with Peter if you are angry about it.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2004, 03:49:17 PM »

I'm not angry it's hilarious.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2004, 03:53:36 PM »

Why is it hilarious? I don't see what's so funny.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2004, 03:56:29 PM »

Because the same people who crammed the original act through the senate despite my objections to it are the ones who are yelping the loudest.
StevenNick
StevenNick99

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2004, 04:02:40 PM »

Section 3 of this bill is a massive violation of political free speech.  I officially move for Section 3 to be removed from this bill.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2004, 04:10:50 PM »

Just to explain a few things about this bill:

Section 1:
Friday at noon was chosen simply because it is the first moment from which the new Senate / President are sworn in. It also helps the redistricting as much as the federal government can.

Section 2:
Its Harry's idea, so he can take credit. Certainly a good idea to ensure their contiguity for redistricting.

Section 3:
I want people to have bothered to do something in writing a platform.

Section 4:
The numerical definitions were brought up some months ago to ensure there is no confusion with the "British" defintions of billion and trillion, not that Britain uses those definitions anyway.

I am also generally declaring this to be an open bill - feel free to put amendments on it to define things in the Constitution that you feel should be defined, but aren't (no dictionary definitions please).
StevenNick
StevenNick99

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2004, 04:28:19 PM »

I don't feel that it is the right of the government to interfere with political parties' platform writing commissions.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2004, 04:29:55 PM »

I don't feel that it is the right of the government to interfere with political parties' platform writing commissions.
We wouldn't want anyone having fun creating parties.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2004, 04:42:57 PM »

I don't mean to have a go at Texasgurl (mostly because I think she agrees with me), but having a party platform that says my platform is to get myself re-elected makes an a$$ out of the law - its clear that the original intent was for people to address issues of relevance and for it to be of some length. I think 200 words is on the short side, but I want to account for people who like to keep it sharp and punchy.
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2004, 05:19:13 PM »

I stand in stand in support of this bill
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2004, 05:40:34 PM »

We need the bill just for housekeeping purposes.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2004, 05:42:56 PM »
« Edited: November 21, 2004, 05:47:47 PM by Peter Bell »

I just noticed an error in the bill - Organised should be spelt with a 'z'. Sorry about that.
StevenNick
StevenNick99

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2004, 10:24:32 PM »

I will vote against this bill unless Section 3 is removed.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2004, 10:32:47 PM »

I support this bill as well.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2004, 03:20:40 AM »

As well as who?
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2004, 06:01:26 AM »
« Edited: November 23, 2004, 03:06:07 PM by Peter Bell »

A point that Ernest raised in another thread made me realise that another section would be useful for this Bill:

Section 5: System of Measurement

1. For the purposes of all statute, executive orders, judicial rulings, other official documents of the Atlasian government and for all acts of commerce, the International System of Units, as it stands at the passage of this bill into law, shall be the standard system of measurement throughout Atlasia.

2. Other, non-standard systems of measurement may be used, however, all quantities must be defined in the standard system of measurement alongside the non-standard system of measurement.

3. The sole exception to this Section shall be those distances that exceed 200 meters in length, where the mile may be used as a concurrent standard definition and temperature, which may be measured in Celsius or Fahrenheit as a concurrent standard standard definition. The survey Inch may also be used as a concurrent standard definition for surveying purposes only.

Its pretty straight forward, and most of us in here are at worst in our 20s, so we grew up on the metric system for the most part. The exception is given in Section 3 as I recall from my last visit to the US (ILV might still have been in dippers), all road signs are given in miles, and I don't especially want to replace every road sign in the US due to the cost and the inherent confusion it would cause. I would also like everybody to know the pain that I endured mis-spelling metre for this section.
Siege40

Political Matrix
E: -6.25, S: -4.26

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2004, 10:11:53 AM »

Seems fine to me.

Siege
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2004, 10:15:43 AM »

Section 5 Clause 1 is already US law.  All of the customary units of measure are defined with respect to SI.

Section 5 Clause 2 is close to the existing law.  Most items of commerce now are required to use dual measurement.  Where it would change the law is mainly in the areas of road signage, weather reports, construction, and cooking shows, where the use of SI is essentially non-existent.

Section 5 Clause 3 is said by the proponent to provide an exception for road signs due to the cost and confusion.  But that is hardly the only area that sudden metrification would cause problems.  The gradual metrification that the US has been undergoing in daily life and commerce is slow, and while I would like to see it pick up the pace, going to pure SI overnight is not something I favor.

That said, I wonder if the use of the metric system would increase if the term SI Swimsuit issue had a different connotation. Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies