McCain won't rule out 2008 run
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:12:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  McCain won't rule out 2008 run
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: McCain won't rule out 2008 run  (Read 1900 times)
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 21, 2004, 03:23:39 PM »

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=5&u=/ap/20041121/ap_on_go_co/mccain2008

WASHINGTON - Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., said Sunday he is not ruling out a run for the 2008 presidential nomination, but that he is not a candidate now. A decision to run, if one should come, would not be made for at least two years, said McCain, speaking only a few weeks after the 2004 campaign ended with President Bush winning a second term.

"Look, I'm not running for president," McCain told NBC's "Meet the Press," and added: "I do not foreclose the option."

McCain, a senator since 1986, made a strong run for the Republican nomination in 2000 but lost to Bush in a bitter campaign. Still, McCain added his popularity to Bush's re-election campaign this year after rejecting overtures from Sen. John Kerry to join the Democratic ticket as the vice presidential candidate.

"There will be plenty of time to consider whether to run for president again, but certainly I don't think it's in any way appropriate for me to speculate on that at this time," McCain said on NBC. He was asked when that time might come. "I would think at least not for a couple of years," McCain said. "You know, the president hasn't even been inaugurated yet. Isn't it a little unseemly for any of us to start on that path again?"

At least one prominent Republican, Sen. Chuck Hagel of Nebraska, already has said he is considering a 2008 run for the White House. If McCain were to run, he would turn 72 on Aug. 29, 2008, at the height of the campaign. Only President Reagan was older at his inauguration — 73 at the start of his second term.

Asked whether age might be a factor in his decision whether to run, McCain said: "Yes, I think that would have to be a consideration," he replied. However, he said, "I have a wonderful mother who is 92. Maybe I could use her as an example."

Nothing suprising, he's probably my favorite person who could actually win the nomination.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2004, 03:33:10 PM »

I still highly doubt he'd run. He has skin cancer and his condition will no doubt get worse over the next 4 years. Reagan was in much better health than him, and was 3 years younger when he started his first term, while that may no sound like a lot, it's still almost a full term.
Hitchabrut
republicanjew18

Political Matrix
E: 8.38, S: 7.49

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2004, 08:47:01 PM »

McCain would produce a 1988-esque victory for the Republicans, but I'm guessing the main candidate for the moderate Republicans will be Giuliani. I agree with BRTD on how McCain won't run and how his health would automatically rule him out. Look at Bill Bradley, who had no ties to Clinton and heavy independent support, he would have probably defeated Bush in 2000, but because of a minor heart problem, he got crushed and didn't win a single primary.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2004, 10:25:11 PM »

Chuck Hagel plans to run for president? What, as a Democrat?
ian

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -1.39

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2004, 10:08:16 PM »

Well, at least if McCain ran, I would have backup in case we Democrats run someone awful or don't have anyone good to run at all.  I love McCain, and I would gladly vote for him against almost any Democrat.  (Really, it would have to be Gephardt, Landrieu, Jackson-Lee, or Tubbs-Jones in order for me not to vote for him!)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies