Harry Reid 08?

(1/4) > >>

Lunar:
He's a rising power in the Democratic senate and set to become Minority Leader.  This obviously means that he'll wield a lot of influence and gain many connections that would allow him to make a successful run through the primaries.  Plus, Nevada's becoming a much more influential state every day.

He has a record of working with both parties, is known as a moderate, and pro-life (voted to ban overseas and partial-birth abortions).  He's been in the Senate since 1986.  He actually has a good "log cabin" type story, being born in a small rural mining town and being raised in a primitive sort of cabin.  Father was a miner, Mother never completed high school, that type of story which seems to help politicians (Edwards and Gephardt couldn't shut up about theirs).

As a side note, I was hoping Kerry would choose him as his VP earlier this year, since I thought Reid, unlike Edwards, would actually be able to deliver his home state.  The smaller the state, the larger the "home-state" advantage is, since the candidate seems more local.

Filuwaúrdjan:
Lets see how the next two years go... if he leads the Senate Dems well and they make solid gains in 2006 he could be in a very good position.

J. J.:
It would be far better to go with an ex-governor.  A pro-life nominee is going to have a real problem winning the D nomination.

Nym90:
Quote from: Lunar on November 21, 2004, 01:24:23 AM

He's a rising power in the Democratic senate and set to become Minority Leader.  This obviously means that he'll wield a lot of influence and gain many connections that would allow him to make a successful run through the primaries.  Plus, Nevada's becoming a much more influential state every day.

He has a record of working with both parties, is known as a moderate, and pro-life (voted to ban overseas and partial-birth abortions).  He's been in the Senate since 1986.  He actually has a good "log cabin" type story, being born in a small rural mining town and being raised in a primitive sort of cabin.  Father was a miner, Mother never completed high school, that type of story which seems to help politicians (Edwards and Gephardt couldn't shut up about theirs).

As a side note, I was hoping Kerry would choose him as his VP earlier this year, since I thought Reid, unlike Edwards, would actually be able to deliver his home state.  The smaller the state, the larger the "home-state" advantage is, since the candidate seems more local.

Possibly, though his age is starting to work against him. He'd be a great President though.

Ben.:
Quote from: J. J. on November 21, 2004, 08:31:11 AM

It would be far better to go with an ex-governor.  A pro-life nominee is going to have a real problem winning the D nomination.

Bayh, Rendell and Warner are far more pro-life than either Kerry or Edwards and all three would be very competive in any race for the Democratic nomination.

Abortion is an issue where the Poltical centre has shifted in a more conservative direction and the Democrats will have to deal with this, senators such as Bayh positions on the issue are very reflective of most Americans, being personally opposed to abortion and voting to restrict it but at the same time arguing that it has to remain legal so that firstly in extreme circumstances pregnancies can be aborted and to prevent woman resorting to “back-alley abortions”… it’s the most reasonable position in my books and its one shared by the majority of Americans.     

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page