Department of Defence DADT Survey
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:15:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Department of Defence DADT Survey
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Department of Defence DADT Survey  (Read 2408 times)
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 22, 2010, 06:44:16 PM »

so, looks like few members of congress cared to take the advice of our combat troops and went ahead and passed the repeal of DADT anyway:

while 70 percent of service members (regardless if they work a desk job) surveyed said repealing the policy would have a positive, mixed or no effect, nearly 50 percent and 60 percent of Army and Marine combat troops, respectively, think serving with an openly gay or lesbian service member will have a negative or very negative effect on their unit's war-fighting capability.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 06:49:45 PM »

Has there been any negative impact anywhere in the world where gays are allowed to serve openly alongside straights? I ask this question sincerely, since I haven't seen anything to that effect during this entire discussion. I see arguments about hurting a soldier's apparently delicate sensibilities, but I see nothing whatsoever on any evidence of harm. (Especially considering that, you know, plenty of gays are already in the military anyway, and if it was going to be doing any harm, it already would be.)
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 06:52:46 PM »

I've always wondered why this debate never focused on the fact that no other country has any problems with gay soldiers.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 06:53:42 PM »

I've always wondered why this debate never focused on the fact that no other country has any problems with gay soldiers.

'Cuz this is 'Murrica, and our troops are better at... being... prejudiced... than theirs?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 06:57:22 PM »

And so often overlooks the fact that our soldiers have already been serving alongside those openly gay soldiers for years.

The U.S. is so often way behind the curve, and it's embarrassing.
Einzige Mk. II
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: 5.32, S: -9.91

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 06:57:57 PM »

One needs to look at what social classes most Marines are drawn from to understand the real issue at stake. I suspect that sixty plus percent of the lower classes anywhere would poll against gay rights.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 06:58:30 PM »

I personally think politicians and army top brass must think so little of frontline troops that they think they will have a problem with gays.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 07:00:45 PM »

One needs to look at what social classes most Marines are drawn from to understand the real issue at stake. I suspect that sixty plus percent of the lower classes anywhere would poll against gay rights.

Excellent point.
Frink
Lafayette53
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -6.17

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 07:03:59 PM »
« Edited: December 22, 2010, 07:11:48 PM by Frink »

I personally think politicians and army top brass must think so little of frontline troops that they think they will have a problem with gays.

This. The entire argument over the issue from the anti-gay side is elitist and derogatory (whether valid or not).
Einzige Mk. II
Rookie

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 07:15:46 PM »
« Edited: December 22, 2010, 07:18:07 PM by Einzige Mk. II »

This. The entire argument over the issue from the anti-gay side is elitist and derogatory (whether valid or not).

Elitism isn't always a bad thing on these subjects. The conservative argument in favor of DADT has been, basically, that the lowly grunt might have an issue with it. Implicit in this argument is the radically populist idea that the military ought to be a democracy.

I reject that argument. As in all things, the soldier serves with those whom he is told to serve with. His personal feelings matter not an iota in the scheme of things.
Frink
Lafayette53
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -6.17

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 07:38:02 PM »
« Edited: December 22, 2010, 07:39:36 PM by Frink »

Elitism isn't always a bad thing on these subjects. The conservative argument in favor of DADT has been, basically, that the lowly grunt might have an issue with it. Implicit in this argument is the radically populist idea that the military ought to be a democracy.

I reject that argument. As in all things, the soldier serves with those whom he is told to serve with. His personal feelings matter not an iota in the scheme of things.

I agree with both of your points to some extent. Yes the radical populist element is a piece of the Conservative argument on the issue and is much more appealing a case to make in public. That doesn't preclude a certain elitism towards "those people" and their ability to adapt to change (ironic given the occupation the people in question perform) or deal with "the homos" from being present or even prevalent among certain pundits, commentators, or the politicos themselves who repeat such arguments.

Its up to others more in tune with the lower levels of the military to decide if such arguments hold water.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2010, 09:41:01 PM »

What's with the gay Brit spelling of the word "defense"?  You aren't going queer on us, are you jmf****t?

no, either it's MS Word spell checker (it's set on Brit spellings since i work for a European company), or it's a typo
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2010, 11:43:23 PM »

so, looks like few members of congress cared to take the advice of our combat troops and went ahead and passed the repeal of DADT anyway:

while 70 percent of service members (regardless if they work a desk job) surveyed said repealing the policy would have a positive, mixed or no effect, nearly 50 percent and 60 percent of Army and Marine combat troops, respectively, think serving with an openly gay or lesbian service member will have a negative or very negative effect on their unit's war-fighting capability.

I can appreciate that some in Congress looked at some of these results and decided against repealing DADT on this basis. I ultimately think the repeal will be a good thing, even if it isn't easy at first. I imagine that many of these troops are thinking about what the effect will be for some other people, not necessarily that it is something they would have a problem with, but that they can imagine it would be a problem for some. So they could well be overestimating the extent to which there will be a problem.  In reality most gay people, especially the sort who would join the military, are not going to come out if they think it will cause problems.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2010, 01:28:42 AM »

Actually, most recruits seem to come from upper-to-middle-class backgrounds.  But, this has no impact on the intelligence of those recruits.  Believe me, I know -- wealthier kids are just as stupid as poor kids.  Maybe even more stupid.

Though, I picked up this information from something on the Heritage Foundation website...
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2010, 05:17:30 AM »

I'm guessing that some were uncomfortable with Executive Order 9981, too. So what?
Einzige Mk. II
Rookie

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2010, 09:17:09 AM »

Actually, most recruits seem to come from upper-to-middle-class backgrounds.  But, this has no impact on the intelligence of those recruits.  Believe me, I know -- wealthier kids are just as stupid as poor kids.  Maybe even more stupid.

Though, I picked up this information from something on the Heritage Foundation website...

For the military as a whole - which I have no problem accepting - or for the Marines?
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2010, 09:31:39 AM »

For the military as a whole - which I have no problem accepting - or for the Marines?

Not sure where you are getting your stereotype.  The Marines would probably tend to be higher on the list  of social class when compared to the Army.  You get more people who join for the tradition and the fact that it does see more combat as a whole.  There are more rear echelons positions available in the Army and many join solely for schooling.  It is also whiter than either the Navy or Army.  IIRC, it does have the highest Hispanic population.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2010, 09:37:27 AM »

I thought you were an individualist?
Einzige Mk. II
Rookie

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2010, 09:38:54 AM »

I am. That doesn't mean that large groups of similar individuals won't act similarly. I'd still like to see the statistics on the socioeconomic background of the average Marine.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2010, 09:44:04 AM »

I am. That doesn't mean that large groups of similar individuals won't act similarly. I'd still like to see the statistics on the socioeconomic background of the average Marine.

http://citizencain.blogspot.com/2005/12/military-service-and-socioeconomic.html
Einzige Mk. II
Rookie

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2010, 09:46:41 AM »

So most military recruits are lower-middle to middle-class. Okay, and that still wouldn't remotely surprise me. But the Marines?
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2010, 09:49:57 AM »
« Edited: December 23, 2010, 09:52:47 AM by Sanders/Gravel 2012! »

Actually, most recruits seem to come from upper-to-middle-class backgrounds.  But, this has no impact on the intelligence of those recruits.  Believe me, I know -- wealthier kids are just as stupid as poor kids.  Maybe even more stupid.

So most military recruits are lower-middle to middle-class. Okay, and that still wouldn't remotely surprise me. But the Marines?

Here we go....

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://oai.dtic.mil/oai/oai?verb=getRecord&metadataPrefix=html&identifier=ADA345037
Einzige Mk. II
Rookie

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2010, 09:54:57 AM »

So in other words Marines do often come from at least lower-middle-class backgrounds. Which perfectly explains their relative hardheadedness on this issue versus branches which recruit from higher socioeconomic classes like, say, the Air Force. That explains it, then. Their conservatism on this issue is a natural extension of the basic conservatism of the low classes.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2010, 10:03:13 AM »

So in other words Marines do often come from at least lower-middle-class backgrounds. Which perfectly explains their relative hardheadedness on this issue versus branches which recruit from higher socioeconomic classes like, say, the Air Force. That explains it, then. Their conservatism on this issue is a natural extension of the basic conservatism of the low classes.

I dont see where it says that.  I think you are reaching somewhat with this class thing.  The Marine Corps is the youngest and by far most male service.  It is also the only service that has separate recruit training for men and women.  It is structured foremost as a combat, infantry branch.  As a young service, with less officers and a well ingrained macho tradition- you will invariably get  some anti-homosexual undercurrents- as you would in most football locker rooms.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2010, 10:04:15 AM »

You seem to be claiming that the richer you are, the more likely you are to be a social liberal. So tell me then, why did 63% of those voters who earned $200,000 or more vote for George W. Bush in 2004?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies