Young Brits want to emigrate.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:57:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Young Brits want to emigrate.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Young Brits want to emigrate.  (Read 3181 times)
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2010, 03:03:24 PM »

Might have something to do with young people not having £27,000 for a degree.

Does that explain the other countries?

No but it makes him feel better Smiley

I'm sure it makes you feel better seeing those dirty peasants denied an education Roll Eyes

Oh wheesht

My mum got on her hands and knees to clean a bank after it closed to earn a little extra money. I grew up in a house with no central heating and single windows that frosted inside during the winter. I've been without Christmasses to keep the household ticking over. Don't you dare project on to me whatever stupid class war you're playing in your head.

Then it doesn't make any sense for you to be a Conservative.

k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2010, 03:06:57 PM »

Nice to see the usual fascinating intellectual debate that takes place on this forum Roll Eyes
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2010, 03:24:48 PM »

Nice to see the usual fascinating intellectual debate that takes place on this forum Roll Eyes

You're of the opinion that your above contributions qualify as 'intellectual debate'?
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2010, 03:25:53 PM »

You're of the opinion that your above contributions qualify as 'intellectual debate'?

You posting a picture using a verb as a noun is not intellectual in any way, shape or form.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2010, 03:29:52 PM »

You posting a picture using a verb as a noun is not intellectual in any way, shape or form.

Notwithstanding that it seems you're now habitually refusing to answer the actual questions I ask, I'll do you the favour of answering your question: I didn't feel it appropriate to respond to your abuse of another poster with anything more taxing.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2010, 03:34:26 PM »

Notwithstanding that it seems you're now habitually refusing to answer the actual questions I ask, I'll do you the favour of answering your question: I didn't feel it appropriate to respond to your abuse of another poster with anything more taxing.

I don't abuse anyone personally - I abuse their views if I find them detestable.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2010, 03:40:30 PM »

I don't abuse anyone personally - I abuse their views if I find them detestable.

You don't think imputing this sort of nonsense:
I'm sure it makes you feel better seeing those dirty peasants denied an education Roll Eyes

constitutes personal abuse?

Your debating style is increasingly Libertas-ian, decrying others for failing to respond with high-minded debate (which you've never managed to exhibit yourself) with glib, abusive nonsense. 
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2010, 03:41:45 PM »

People have all sorts of reasons for ending up with the views that they do; biography is almost always a factor, but not always in a direct way. A lot of the time different parts can pull people in different directions because our lives (and often class positions) are rarely as simple as models of political affiliation might suggest (Andrew, for example, has a strong working class heritage but was privately educated). It's usually better to avoid judging people over that kind of thing; it can often cause serious offence even if it isn't intended.

Putting this a slightly different way... in this country you can probably work out how about 90% of people (probably a higher percentage than that, actually) vote (or, in the now dead age of anti-Tory tactical voting, who they support) from asking a couple of questions about their background, occupation and where they live. But there will always be that small - but significant - percentage to which that doesn't apply. And they'll have their reasons.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2010, 03:45:35 PM »

Your lack of appreciation for linguistic evolution shows a sad ignorance of basic linguistics Wink

People have all sorts of reasons for ending up with the views that they do; biography is almost always a factor, but not always in a direct way. A lot of the time different parts can pull people in different directions because our lives (and often class positions) are rarely as simple as models of political affiliation might suggest (Andrew, for example, has a strong working class heritage but was privately educated). It's usually better to avoid judging people over that kind of thing; it can often cause serious offence even if it isn't intended.

Putting this a slightly different way... in this country you can probably work out how about 90% of people (probably a higher percentage than that, actually) vote (or, in the now dead age of anti-Tory tactical voting, who they support) from asking a couple of questions about their background, occupation and where they live. But there will always be that small - but significant - percentage to which that doesn't apply. And they'll have their reasons.

I'd open my mouth here, but I don't think we want to have That Debate (tm) again.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2010, 03:47:24 PM »

I'd open my mouth here, but I don't think we want to have That Debate (tm) again.

Probably for the best, yes. You people are even worse than poststructuralists.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2010, 03:48:19 PM »

Your debating style is increasingly Libertas-ian, decrying others for failing to respond with high-minded debate (which you've never managed to exhibit yourself) with glib, abusive nonsense. 

No, I don't think it constitutes personal abuse actually. I simply don't think there is any justification for tuition fees going up, and afleitch has constantly dodged my posts where I have challenged him on why they should go up.

And if so, the only reason my debating style is declining is because I can't be bothered writing posts no-one will reply to/seriously discuss.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2010, 03:59:54 PM »

No, I don't think it constitutes personal abuse actually. I simply don't think there is any justification for tuition fees going up, and afleitch has constantly dodged my posts where I have challenged him on why they should go up.

And if so, the only reason my debating style is declining is because I can't be bothered writing posts no-one will reply to/seriously discuss.

You've basically been a self-righteous idiot on this thread and now that you've been called out on it the most dignified thing would be to apologize. Second most dignified would be to crawl away in silence. To keep insulting people left and right is a bit down the scale, to be honest.

(Hint: thinking that you're in a position to judge what others should or should not think given their backgrounds or, worse, ascribe views to them that they have not articulated is neither intellectual nor very pleasant)
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2010, 04:08:38 PM »

Winston I have already explained in great length why I consider the settlement on fees to be the best option where the only option is to increase the amount of money that students have to pay (which Labour also agree; with some supporting a graduate tax) I'm more in favour of levys than taxation; it's not news. I think the current deal is the best deal under the circumstances for not only students from poor backgrounds (with increased access to grants) but those who graduate and earn low incomes including the countless numbers who give back to the country in the civil service and the public sector. These concessions the NUS were prepared to sacrifice to pad the nests of well to do students.

What you did is make assumptions on my background based on the political party that I support which (on a night where I was not at my best) hit a very raw nerve. If anything part of the reason I was angry at the protests was exactly because a huge swathe of those demonstrating either come from families or will become earners where fees will not make a financial impact.

You do realise that a side-effect of a disproportionate number of students being from middle/higher class families is that the interests of the poorest students are often under-represented in the NUS other student interest groups.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2010, 04:15:55 PM »

I think that the figures of people actually wanting to leave within the next 12 months are too high. An emigration rate of 2% or 3% doesn't generally happen during peacetime.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2010, 05:12:59 PM »

You've basically been a self-righteous idiot on this thread and now that you've been called out on it the most dignified thing would be to apologize. Second most dignified would be to crawl away in silence. To keep insulting people left and right is a bit down the scale, to be honest.

(Hint: thinking that you're in a position to judge what others should or should not think given their backgrounds or, worse, ascribe views to them that they have not articulated is neither intellectual nor very pleasant)

I remembered why you're on my ignore list.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2010, 06:28:49 PM »

I think that the figures of people actually wanting to leave within the next 12 months are too high. An emigration rate of 2% or 3% doesn't generally happen during peacetime.

Did anyone actually read the post where I explained the table? Tongue
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2010, 06:29:29 PM »

I remembered why you're on my ignore list.

The brave radical intellectual strikes again.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2010, 07:40:03 PM »

Might have something to do with young people not having £27,000 for a degree.

Does that explain the other countries?

No but it makes him feel better Smiley

Oh wheesht

My mum got on her hands and knees to clean a bank after it closed to earn a little extra money. I grew up in a house with no central heating and single windows that frosted inside during the winter. I've been without Christmasses to keep the household ticking over. Don't you dare project on to me whatever stupid class war you're playing in your head.

Then it doesn't make any sense for you to be a Conservative.

Of course it's a Cardinals fan.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies