Did Rutherford Hayes steal the election of 1876?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:23:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Did Rutherford Hayes steal the election of 1876?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Did Rutherford Hayes steal the election of 1876?
Yes

No

I don't know

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 32

Author Topic: Did Rutherford Hayes steal the election of 1876?  (Read 5843 times)
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 20, 2004, 02:58:44 AM »

We now apparently have three General Discussion forums, so I guess I'll post this here.
danwxman

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2004, 03:04:39 AM »

I don't know. Wasn't it sort of like 2000 where some court awarded all the disputed votes to Hayes?
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2004, 03:09:34 AM »

No court awarded any votes to Bush or Gore. Anyone who thinks that election was stolen is just a hyperpartisan Democrat.
danwxman

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2004, 03:15:54 AM »

No court awarded any votes to Bush or Gore. Anyone who thinks that election was stolen is just a hyperpartisan Democrat.

I know. I'm just saying, there was a bunch of disputed votes and it was handled by a court...similar to 2000.

BTW, I don't think the election was "stolen" but I do think Gore should have won if those old fogies voted right.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2004, 04:38:48 AM »

I know. I'm just saying, there was a bunch of disputed votes and it was handled by a court...similar to 2000.

BTW, I don't think the election was "stolen" but I do think Gore should have won if those old fogies voted right.

Agreed, Gore Team where also totally wrong footed by the Bush team during the recounts had it been statwide Gore could have won and it would have looked better... better still had the voting gone smoothly Gore would have won anyway. 
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2004, 05:01:06 AM »

Rutherford Hayes won all 20 disputed votes (Tilden only needed one for victory) for promising to end Reconstruction in the South.

Considering that Reconstruction was an unmitigated disaster, this was probably a good thing all around.

Tilden won by about 3% in the PV, fwiw.

Every election between 1876-1896 was not decided by more than 3% in PV.  Three of them were below 1% in difference.

J-Mann
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2004, 11:10:29 AM »

There was probably some shady business going on, based on what little I've studied of the 1876 election.  I find it very unlikely that any Southern state would have voted Republican at that time (though Grant fared alright in the South), yet Florida, Louisiana, and South Carolina went for Hayes.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2004, 12:27:44 PM »

There was probably some shady business going on, based on what little I've studied of the 1876 election.  I find it very unlikely that any Southern state would have voted Republican at that time (though Grant fared alright in the South), yet Florida, Louisiana, and South Carolina went for Hayes.

that's because the South was still under military occupation, so probably allowed mostly only pro-Unionists and blacks to vote. Although I am confident that Hayes did not win ALL of the disputed votes and Tilden would've gotten the 1, therefore the election was stolen. Note that I would've voted Hayes in 1876, although I might regret it later.
Bugs

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2004, 06:58:10 PM »

I don't think Hayes was particularly gulty, but the Republican party stole it.  But that's only true if Tilden would have really won it without any foul play.  Hayes might have won it without any cheating.  The Democrats weren't innocent of all wrong doing in the election.  If Tilden would have won we'd be asking if he stole it.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2004, 08:52:23 PM »

No, but others stole it for him.
Schmitz in 1972
Liberty
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2004, 08:48:59 PM »

The Republicans did everything they could to steal it, but ultimately the election came down to two incredibly stupid blunders on the Democrats part. The first was allowing Colorado to be admitted to the Union right before the election. Although not a single popular vote was cast in the state, the three electoral votes of the state put Hayes over the top. The second blunder was perhaps the single worst mistake ever in presidential elections. The commision had picked David Davis, the open-minded independent justice on the Supreme Court, as the final member of the electoral commission, but Democrats in Illinois appointed him Senator, hoping this would convince him to select Tilden in the commission vote. Instead, Davis resigned from the commission, feeling he could not serve as the impartial 15th member with this new Democratic tag. His refusal left only Republican justices to select from for the 15th member, and predictably the commission voted 8-7 to give Hayes the win.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies