End of Honeymoon for Christie?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 06, 2024, 03:08:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  End of Honeymoon for Christie?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: End of Honeymoon for Christie?  (Read 2394 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2010, 06:18:12 PM »

The guy asked a legitimate question in a respectful manner. Where did you see that he wanted to "screw" Christie?

Maybe this guy in particular wasn't but he chose to engage the Governor.

Isn't that the duty of every active citizen? Should he cower in fear instead?
Since when challenging our elected officials is something that needs to be met with disdain and bullying?
Unless of course discouraging questioning from voters is Christie's point and that poor guy didn't get the message from his previous antics.

By the way, I love how Thatcher now isn't a bully. Compare her to a guard at a Nazi concentration camp? Sure. But a bully? Oh, no, no, no.  Roll Eyes

Um, what?
Did I miss something?
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2010, 06:23:09 PM »

Well this has certainly been a productive conversation...
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2010, 06:23:19 PM »

HAHAHA Joe Pesci in a fat suit!
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2010, 06:24:46 PM »

Christie is a polarizing figure, what do you expect?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2010, 06:27:51 PM »

Also: lol @ the idea of Christie being president. This might sound shallow but do really think that Americans would vote for a fat man to be the face of America around the world? I mean it might not be a campaign issue out in the open for the media to discuss but it would be everywhere on the interwebs.

New Jersey is one of the thinnest states in the country, if I recall correctly. Let them attack him for his weight. Not sure that would be the best idea considering how many people are overweight in this country.

Since when challenging our elected officials is something that needs to be met with disdain and bullying?
Unless of course discouraging questioning from voters is Christie's point and that poor guy didn't get the message from his previous antics.

There was a back and forth, px, so please stop making this guy out to be some poor victim. He wanted to keep it going, knowing how Christie would respond.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You aren't aware of that pretty well known insult? She was compared to a Nazi concentration camp guard.

It was never going to be productive. Px just loves to attack the guy every chance he gets, blowing minor incidents out of proportion, hoping it's the downfall of Christie.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2010, 06:29:41 PM »

I really think people are just looking for reasons not to like him.  New Jersey still likes him and desperately needs him.  We have a more effective government than we have in decades.  Not perfect by any means, but better beyond compare.  People aren't going to agree with a lot of what he does, but everybody respects the fact that he's doing what he said he was going to do.  He's good and people are afraid of that.  And this is coming from a New Jerseyan who didn't even vote for him.

I thought I remembered you saying you did vote for him?

Regardless though, I agree with what you said. Christie is definitely a massive improvement.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2010, 06:34:04 PM »

I really think people are just looking for reasons not to like him.  New Jersey still likes him and desperately needs him.  We have a more effective government than we have in decades.  Not perfect by any means, but better beyond compare.  People aren't going to agree with a lot of what he does, but everybody respects the fact that he's doing what he said he was going to do.  He's good and people are afraid of that.  And this is coming from a New Jerseyan who didn't even vote for him.

Regardless though, I agree with what you said. Christie is definitely a massive improvement.

He probably voted for him in the General (though I could see him voting for Daggett). He voted for his State Assemblyman, Rick Merkt, in the primary.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2010, 06:34:47 PM »

Also: lol @ the idea of Christie being president. This might sound shallow but do really think that Americans would vote for a fat man to be the face of America around the world? I mean it might not be a campaign issue out in the open for the media to discuss but it would be everywhere on the interwebs.

New Jersey is one of the thinnest states in the country, if I recall correctly. Let them attack him for his weight. Not sure that would be the best idea considering how many people are overweight in this country.

No real campaign is going to attack him over his weight but countless jokes are going to be made about it if he runs. Face it: no one wants morbidly obese man as President. If you haven't noticed, Americans aren't exactly rational about their political opinions. If people can make judgment calls based on Obama having a strange name and a darker tone of skin, people will certainly be making them about Christie's weight.

The attacks on Christie's weight were stupid but he was facing Corzine. Plenty of people would vote for a fat man over a corrupt man.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2010, 06:36:53 PM »

There was a back and forth, px, so please stop making this guy out to be some poor victim. He wanted to keep it going, knowing how Christie would respond.

There was a back and forth? The horrors!!!

Like EMD said, if the guy didn't insult Christie or his family I don't see why a citizen who wants (and insists for) some answer from an elected official needs to be put down and taken off stage by state troopers like some bum.
To use V's immortal words, "people should not be afraid of their government, governments should be afraid of their people".
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2010, 07:25:14 PM »

No real campaign is going to attack him over his weight but countless jokes are going to be made about it if he runs. Face it: no one wants morbidly obese man as President. If you haven't noticed, Americans aren't exactly rational about their political opinions. If people can make judgment calls based on Obama having a strange name and a darker tone of skin, people will certainly be making them about Christie's weight.

The attacks on Christie's weight were stupid but he was facing Corzine. Plenty of people would vote for a fat man over a corrupt man.

As you said, Corzine's attacks on Christie's weight didn't work - and it likely wouldn't work in a run for President.  Besides, we've had a morbidly obese man run for President before.  He had to put up with fat jokes - and won despite his girth.  I can't imagine that the highly partisan press at the turn of the last century didn't make an issue out of Taft's size.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2010, 08:43:05 PM »

As you said, Corzine's attacks on Christie's weight didn't work - and it likely wouldn't work in a run for President.  Besides, we've had a morbidly obese man run for President before.  He had to put up with fat jokes - and won despite his girth.  I can't imagine that the highly partisan press at the turn of the last century didn't make an issue out of Taft's size.

Sigh - I never said that Obama or any PAC publicly attacking Christie on his weight would do much damage but the public's perception of his weight in the face of jokes made by comedians around the world would be very damaging. The 2009 New Jersey electorate is not necessarily indicative of the public as a whole and we have no evidence that the fat attacks did no damage, as I expect they didn't.

Remember that weight was viewed much differently at that time period. It was associated with decadence and wealth. Now it's associated with poverty, idiocy and b!tchy fat women. Honestly, Christie's temperament is one that is stereotyped with those that are overweight. That link you posted only proves my point:"He was fat, but he had the frame that carries weight with an effect of majesty, of the sort that primitive men, and even modern men in the average, like to see in their kings and leaders."

Fat is not the same as it was. Now obesity is seen as unhealthy, disgusting and shows a lack of self-control.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2010, 09:20:21 PM »

No real campaign is going to attack him over his weight but countless jokes are going to be made about it
if he runs.

Like it didn't happen when he was running for Governor. Sure, now there would be a national audience but it could just as easily backfire.

Yeah, last time I checked, Obama won. Great comparison!

And they wouldn't vote for a fat man over an unpopular President (assuming he remains unpopular)? Your arguments here are painfully awful. Seriously.

You're the one acting like Christie smacked the guy's children or something, not me.

Same goes for special interests and Christie is taking them (teachers' unions, for example) on. Of course, by doing so, he's a "bully." Oh well.
Shilly
United States

« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2010, 09:51:44 PM »

Ha ha, "massive". Tongue
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2010, 11:02:58 PM »

No real campaign is going to attack him over his weight but countless jokes are going to be made about it
if he runs.

Like it didn't happen when he was running for Governor. Sure, now there would be a national audience but it could just as easily backfire.

Yeah, last time I checked, Obama won. Great comparison!

And they wouldn't vote for a fat man over an unpopular President (assuming he remains unpopular)? Your arguments here are painfully awful. Seriously.

Why do you act like such of a dick when you argue with others? Honestly, you barely refuted my points. There's no need to treat politicians like idols. This is just analysis. This isn't me personally insulting Christie, even though I do think he is a goon.

You really think that a Gubernatorial race is comparable to a Presidential race? People will vote much less on personality and much more based on political winds and discontent for state office. The electorate in that election was much more educated and contained much more of the "political class" that votes more based on policy issues.

The point: it has gone over your head. My Obama example was just an example to show that the populace will hold idiotic views based on a physical attribute. It had nothing to do with the fact that he face difficulties based off of his skin color and ethnicity: they were actually beneficial to his campaign imo. Christie's weight gives him no benefits. There's no obese cultural group that will rush to his defense. There's no cultural identity to being fat.

It's difficult to see people acting so irrationality and voting against someone because they're
tubby but we're political geeks. We don't see politicians like the voters do. Anything that adds to the perception that a candidate has a certain kind of character can be important if the race is close. If Christie was a pretty kind, stoic individual (he wouldn't be a powerful candidate if this was the case but whatevski), I wouldn't have my opinion this. But his weight combined with his aggressive personality creates a viewed persona that is way too polarizing and way too stereotypical.

wtf how is Obama unpopular? His approval ratings averaged out are at 45%/50%. Those aren't awful. They're not even close to awful. What makes you think that Christie is going to be any more popular as a candidate? This is all speculation, which makes it a pretty pointless argument but can you at least see that Christie's weight could be a liability to a potential candidacy? I'm not even arguing that it would be for sure, I'm arguing that it could potentially be but that there would definitely be large amounts of ridicule, especially from foreigners.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2010, 11:15:44 PM »

Why do you act like such of a dick when you argue with others? Honestly, you barely refuted my points. There's no need to treat politicians like idols. This is just analysis. This isn't me personally insulting Christie, even though I do think he is a goon.

I refuted all of your points. You're the one bringing up irrelevant points "There's no need to treat politicians like idols." Ok?

And there's more to personality than weight.

By the way, if the economy still sucks in 2012, good luck trying to get anyone to buy your "analysis" here. They'll vote for someone that weighs literally a ton over Obama.

Wow. You are clueless. Yeah, I bet the majority of Americans that are overweight wouldn't be pissed off or anything and maybe end up voting for the guy!

Actually, I do look outside of the political bubble. I believe Christie's weight would be an issue but it wouldn't be as important as you think.

Uh, plenty of people like that about him. He's popular as a conservative Republican in New Jersey. Maybe that fighter personality works for some people.

I didn't say they were awful. If things stay the same, he'll certainly be much more unpopular but I'm not saying that that's a guarantee. I'm a big believer in "anything can happen."

Ok and what the hell does that matter? Kid, honestly, do you even know what you're saying while you're typing?
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2010, 11:59:31 PM »

Okay, if he runs we'll see what happens. Speculating about this anymore is a waste of time, especially during the week when I have loads of homework. Anyways I already said in other threads that Christie is one of the strongest potential candidates against Obama. I still think Obama would be favored though.

lol this was pointless. If you're interested here's poll info on the weight "issue": http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/surveys/2009_Archives/PPP_Release_NJ_1013930.pdf

Not important in the slightest. lol though 3% said it made them more likely to vote for him. Maybe there is a fatty voting bloc. Tongue
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2010, 01:33:18 AM »

You're the one acting like Christie smacked the guy's children or something, not me.

LOL!
I act in "horror" because I don't like it when politicians harass and bully ordinary people who happen to disagree with them.
You act in horror because the poor guy had the nerve to question your favorite Governor's infallibility. 
I think the difference is pretty stark.

Same goes for special interests and Christie is taking them (teachers' unions, for example) on. Of course, by doing so, he's a "bully." Oh well.

To hear you someone would think that the New Jersey teachers union is something between KGB, Goldman-Sachs and the Illuminati. 
Call me naive but I don't think that they are THAT powerful.

BTW, according to a recent poll 59% of New Jerseyans disagree with Christie and want more money spent on education. 
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2010, 01:50:12 AM »

LOL!
I act in "horror" because I don't like it when politicians harass and bully ordinary people who happen to disagree with them.
You act in horror because the poor guy had the nerve to question your favorite Governor's infallibility. 

Still not admitting that people go there to screw with the Governor/bully him themselves. Typical.

I'm not horrified at all by people questioning him. I love it. So do most people especially his fans. It's a reason why we like him so much.

Then stop commenting on New Jersey politics. Seriously. If you don't think teachers' unions are powerful in New Jersey, then you really are naive.

Calm down with the rhetoric, too.

And yet he has a 51% approval rating after predictions that he would plummet mid way through the year. 51% in New Jersey is like mid 60% everywhere else. This is the state where a 35% approval rating gets you re-elected.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2010, 02:03:27 AM »

LOL!

Still not admitting that people go there to screw with the Governor/bully him themselves. Typical.

I'm not horrified at all by people questioning him. I love it. So do most people especially his fans. It's a reason why we like him so much.

Then stop commenting on New Jersey politics. Seriously. If you don't think teachers' unions are powerful in New Jersey, then you really are naive.

Calm down with the rhetoric, too.

And yet he has a 51% approval rating after predictions that he would plummet mid way through the year. 51% in New Jersey is like mid 60% everywhere else. This is the state where a 35% approval rating gets you re-elected.

1)LOL at the notion that an ordinary citizen can bully a sitting Governor, much more someone like Christie.
And you admitted that this particular guy didn't want to "screw" Christie, so why he received the same treatment as all the other "Bad Guys"? Because too much time passed and the Fearless Governor needed another addition at his YouTube library?

2)I know they are powerful, I just don't think they are the rulers of the world and the root of all evil as Christie wants to present them.

3)Like with W. people appreciate it when a politician argues forcefully about his position even when they disagree with said position. Just because Christie is popular that doesn't mean that New Jersey's electorate agrees with all his positions.   

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2010, 02:07:39 AM »

1)LOL at the notion that an ordinary citizen can bully a sitting Governor, much more someone like Christie.

Ah, so the government shouldn't fear the citizens, eh? Thanks for the silly V quote though.

He was dismissed because there was a back and forth. He had his say. The town hall must go on, px.

Again, the exaggerations. I guess I should appreciate it because it's a clear sign that you're in the wrong.

I never said they agreed with all of his positions. You decided to bring it up because you had to move the goal posts. He's popular even as people disagree with him. That must really piss you off.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2010, 02:21:02 AM »

Ah, so the government shouldn't fear the citizens, eh? Thanks for the silly V quote though.

Man, that's too easy. You've lost your form. Wake me up when you come up with a decent response.

He was dismissed because there was a back and forth. He had his say. The town hall must go on, px.

Is that why he was escorted off stage by state troopers like he was a criminal? Because he ate up the Governor's valuable time?

Again, the exaggerations. I guess I should appreciate it because it's a clear sign that you're in the wrong.

If someone is exaggerating that's Christie. He is the one that started the crusade against them and has consumed so much of his energy on fighting them.

I never said they agreed with all of his positions. You decided to bring it up because you had to move the goal posts. He's popular even as people disagree with him. That must really piss you off.

Why am I not pissed off then by other popular Republican governors like Mitch Daniels, Bob McDonnell or Bob Riley?
Maybe because they aren't attention-whores/bullies like Christie?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2010, 02:26:21 AM »
« Edited: December 08, 2010, 03:55:53 AM by Keystone Phil »

Man, that's too easy. You've lost your form. Wake me up when you come up with a decent response.

So you didn't mean what you said. Got it. Shouldn't have made it so easy for me.

That's what security does at any event with a high ranking elected official, my friend.

Right and judging by election results in school board races last year and his approval ratings, people don't have much of a problem with it.

Because Christie is a real player, that's why. He has a stronger following than the others. He's a threat and you and many others know it. Every time he's mentioned, you jump. You have to bash him.

This is politics, my friend. There are plenty of attention whores and there are plenty of bullies. I think you fear Christie but there must be something else, too, to explain this obsessive hatred. Not quite sure what it is but I hope to find out.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2010, 02:36:46 AM »

1)I meant what I said. It's you that missed the point.

2)Joe Miller said the same thing you know.

3)I don't know about that but the poll I mentioned shows otherwise.

4)How is Christie more of a player than Daniels or McDonnell? They are mentioned all the time as presidential candidates you know.

And there is no mystery: I hate bullies. If you don't believe me then that's your prerogative.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2010, 02:43:13 AM »

1)I meant what I said. It's you that missed the point.

Your point was that ordinary citizens can't threaten politicians...yet you said the politicians ought to fear them. You can't have it both ways.

Joe Miller didn't engage in a discussion of any kind with the journalist. Christie did converse with the individual and simply had him escorted off stage. Standard procedure. You lose (again) and have to resort to a terrible comparison.

Ok, well I do and those results speak louder than your poll that said people want to spend more on education. That's a horrifically vague question. I'm sure the same poll showed 66% favored free hugs.

They don't get nearly the same amount of attention.

The only time I remember McDonnell being mentioned as a Presidential candidate was by me awhile ago. I've never seen it anywhere else.

Bold statement. Now feel free to comment on the tons of other bullies in politics and stop obsessing over one of them. Thanks.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2010, 02:52:03 AM »

Your point was that ordinary citizens can't threaten politicians...yet you said the politicians ought to fear them. You can't have it both ways.

Really, I should put a Piccard photo now.

Politicians being afraid of the people doesn't mean they should be threatened with physical violence. There are other ways for the voters to show their disapproval and displeasure you know other than beating up or killing the elected officials with which they disagree.

Uh, it was Christie's staff the put up the headline "Governor Rips Rude Guy".

Maybe you're right on that.

Yeah, because they are trying to actually, you know, govern instead of putting up shows for Red State posters and Club for growth donors.

When Pete Stark starts doing the same antics I'll notify you.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies