1976: Udall (D) vs. Rockefeller (R) vs. Reagan (I) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:55:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  1976: Udall (D) vs. Rockefeller (R) vs. Reagan (I) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Same as usual.
Udall/Udall

Udall/Rockefeller

Udall/Reagan

Rockefeller/Udall

Rockefeller/Rockefeller

Rockefeller/Reagan

Reagan/Udall

Reagan/Rockefeller

Reagan/Reagan

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 21

Author Topic: 1976: Udall (D) vs. Rockefeller (R) vs. Reagan (I)  (Read 4972 times)
Vazdul (Formerly Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario)
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« on: December 02, 2010, 06:22:34 PM »

Udall outscores Reagan (in the popular vote), and Reagan outscores Rockefeller. However, election is sent to the House where Udall wins because of a Republican split.

I believe they need a majority of the house (although Dems were a very substantial majority in '76).

Even this is a bit of an understatement- the margin was 292 to 143. And they would need a majority of the states' delegations, not a majority of the House as a whole.

Of course, it would be the newly elected house (reflected in the above numbers) that would elect the President. So if the assassination and presidential election had interesting butterfly effects downballot, those numbers could be way off.
Vazdul (Formerly Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario)
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 05:48:57 AM »

Udall outscores Reagan (in the popular vote), and Reagan outscores Rockefeller. However, election is sent to the House where Udall wins because of a Republican split.

I believe they need a majority of the house (although Dems were a very substantial majority in '76).

And they would need a majority of the states' delegations, not a majority of the House as a whole.

True, but isn't that what the House is? Each delegation has one representative. So it basically does boil down to the House determining the outcome.

With the kind of numbers mentioned above, that would certainly hold true. But it is possible for a party to hold a slight majority of House seats, but a minority of states' delegations, if that party's strength is mostly concentrated in larger states. In such a situation, the minority party could elect the president.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies