Your opinion of Gay Marriage
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 12:21:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Your opinion of Gay Marriage
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Poll
Question: What do you think of gay marriage?
Support
Oppose
Civil Unions/Domestic Partnerships
Homosexuality is a sin
Undecided
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Your opinion of Gay Marriage  (Read 8790 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2010, 04:50:33 PM »

The Federal government has NO LEGAL JURISDICTION regarding marriage. Powers not specifically deligated to the federal government nor prohibited to the states are the rights of the states and the people. Thus it must be left to the states. On the state level, I personally view homosexuality as sin and is not in the best intrest of conduct in a free society. So no marriage or civil unions. Beyond that I do advocate nondiscrimination laws in the work place (except in faith establishments and the military)

What is the problem with gays in military, Einstein?
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2010, 05:29:30 PM »

To preserve the culture of honor in the military. They have strict consequences for enlisted and officer alike if one is caught in adultery regarding hetero relationships. Besides choosing to be gay is a lifestyle choice not an intrinsic or God given difference that warrants constuitional protection. God created men to be with and love women in romantic ways. Gayness perverts the views that God is a father or viewing God as husband. I'd propose that anyone that gets married who has enlisted is to immediately be given a year off upon the wedding be with his wife and bring her joy then resume service. Even in times of war.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2010, 05:37:25 PM »

To preserve the culture of honor in the military.

Show me a single proof that a homosexuality affects abilities to serve in the Army.

Also, please learn about history, which is full of homosexualism in armies... not to mention a lot of competent and skilled gay soldiers.

Wait... why am I even talking to an obvious sock?

Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2010, 05:57:26 PM »

Fully support.

However, civil unions with identical legal rights is a reasonable compromise, with conferral of "marriage" dependent on the institution.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2010, 07:17:01 PM »

Support, strongly.  I'd prefer if government didn't define this, but that's never happening.

Oh come on, BRTD...you know perfectly well what he means. (Even though I very strongly disagree with the notion.)

I think it only makes sense if you take the argument blindly.  Yes, marriage is intended to incentivize the "domestic life" -- kids and all that.  But gays cannot live the domestic life?  I wonder if GMantis has a problem with heterosexuals getting married and adopting.  The government could easily allocate marriage benefits to only those with actual families, but has this ever been proposed seriously anyway?  It doesn't seem like anyone feels particularly strongly that this "contradicts the point of marriage" until gays want in on the institution -- and apparently, in their case, it isn't even worth trying to incentivize domesticity with them.  I can't imagine how this could be convincing to anyone.
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2010, 07:48:12 PM »

To preserve the culture of honor in the military. They have strict consequences for enlisted and officer alike if one is caught in adultery regarding hetero relationships. Besides choosing to be gay is a lifestyle choice not an intrinsic or God given difference that warrants constitutional protection. God created men to be with and love women in romantic ways. Gayness perverts the views that God is a father or viewing God as husband. I'd propose that anyone that gets married who has enlisted is to immediately be given a year off upon the wedding be with his wife and bring her joy then resume service. Even in times of war.

And the 40% of the people on this site that are gay/bi all say in unison: Being gay is not a choice.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2010, 07:56:29 PM »

To preserve the culture of honor in the military. They have strict consequences for enlisted and officer alike if one is caught in adultery regarding hetero relationships. Besides choosing to be gay is a lifestyle choice not an intrinsic or God given difference that warrants constitutional protection. God created men to be with and love women in romantic ways. Gayness perverts the views that God is a father or viewing God as husband. I'd propose that anyone that gets married who has enlisted is to immediately be given a year off upon the wedding be with his wife and bring her joy then resume service. Even in times of war.

And the 40% of the people on this site that are gay/bi all say in unison: Being gay is not a choice.

OK... I have a small giggle when ever anyone says 'gayness'.

...and the Bible is not a biology textbook, humans are not special, homosexuality exists in several species of mammals, and is quite prevalent in our nearest genetic relatives.

..viewing God as a husband?....
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2010, 08:03:04 PM »

MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2010, 09:21:07 PM »

Read up on what is known as the Bridal Paradigm.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2010, 01:55:20 AM »

Read up on what is known as the Bridal Paradigm.

If it's what I think it is, it's regarding Jesus as the bridegroom and 'man' as the bride.

It's based on what I find a particularly reprehensible concept of the 'obedient' wife, it has nothing to do with love or passion, but obedience.

I don't believe in the unequal relationship between men and women in a marriage - so I find the concept offensive and wrong.

Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2010, 01:57:58 AM »

I don't think it's the province of the state to define what is and isn't marriage - that's for people to decide within the context of their own religion and personal morality.  I think that all state-sanctioned "marriage" should be eliminated, and any two consenting adults who wish to file a joint tax return should be allowed to do so, and that any two consenting adults of any gender or relation should be allowed to legally designate each other as next of kin.

But yes, if the state is maintaining its monopoly on the marriage franchise, it might as well be extended to as many people as possible.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2010, 03:02:11 PM »

Support
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2010, 05:48:29 PM »

Oppose
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2010, 07:55:23 PM »

Support, but I'd be fine with civil unions too.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2010, 08:10:42 PM »

Gay couples deserve the same rights and the same respect as any straight couple. 

Support. 
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2010, 03:26:06 PM »

About the same as my opinion of heterosexual marriage.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2010, 03:29:29 PM »

100% in favor.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2010, 05:23:25 PM »

I support them being legal. I have no real opinion as to the marriages themselves.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2010, 05:34:42 PM »

Nuns may wear rings but they do not ask for tax breaks for being married to God.

That was quite a rambling and irrelevant collection of statements you made in that post.  Probably it made sense to you at the time you posted it.  Glad to see that I'm not the only one who does that. 

Anyway, I don't have a problem with same-sex marriage and it should certainly be legal.  I voted "support" but in reality I can't make a blanket statement like that.  I could imagine supporting or opposing it in specific instances, just like I have opinions about specific hetero marriages.  If a friend is getting married to someone and it doesn't seem right, and he asks me about it, really asks me my opinion, I'll give it to him.  This has happened in the past with hetero marriages, and I haven't generally treated the few gay friends I have radically different than the straight people I know, so I can imagine opposing some same-sex marriages as well.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2010, 05:37:23 PM »

Civil Unions/Domestic Partnerships
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2010, 06:31:24 PM »

Nuns may wear rings but they do not ask for tax breaks for being married to God.

That was quite a rambling and irrelevant collection of statements you made in that post.  Probably it made sense to you at the time you posted it.  Glad to see that I'm not the only one who does that. 

Anyway, I don't have a problem with same-sex marriage and it should certainly be legal.  I voted "support" but in reality I can't make a blanket statement like that.  I could imagine supporting or opposing it in specific instances, just like I have opinions about specific hetero marriages.  If a friend is getting married to someone and it doesn't seem right, and he asks me about it, really asks me my opinion, I'll give it to him.  This has happened in the past with hetero marriages, and I haven't generally treated the few gay friends I have radically different than the straight people I know, so I can imagine opposing some same-sex marriages as well.

I was responding to the concept of the 'Bridal Paradigm' ... but thanks Smiley (it still makes sense to me)

There are plenty of people who shouldn't get married period, gay/straight etc etc
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2010, 08:04:10 PM »

Disgusting, really.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2010, 08:10:56 PM »

Support.

Now, leave these people the hell alone and get on with your own life!
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2010, 05:05:24 PM »

Beyond a doubt the most critical civil rights issue in decades.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2010, 11:28:36 PM »

Beyond a doubt the most critical civil rights issue in decades.

Yeah, unfortunately you have no "right" to be married, other then the one you made up in your head.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies