What Senator in 2016 do you most want to see lose?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 12:09:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  What Senator in 2016 do you most want to see lose?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: What Senator in 2016 do you most want to see lose?  (Read 19149 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2010, 01:41:10 PM »

Johnson on the contrary was so vague and non-committal that even conservative newspapers in Wisconsin refused to endorse him saying that he wasn't ready for prime-time.  

Johnson did receive one important endorsement though...

Wink
nkpatel1279
United States

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2010, 01:43:17 PM »

In 2016- Inouye-HI,Grassley-IA,Mikulski-MD,Shelby-AL,and McCain-AZ are likely retirements due to age. Democrats hold onto HI,MD. Republicans hold onto AL.  Democrats have a 50-50 chance of picking up IA and AZ.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2010, 02:11:11 PM »

Vitter, Schumer, Murray
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2010, 02:19:38 PM »

nkpatel makes an excellent point. After their recent actions I think I'd look forward more to Grassley's and McCain's retirements than any particular Republican losing.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2010, 02:24:20 PM »

nkpatel makes an excellent point. After their recent actions I think I'd look forward more to Grassley's and McCain's retirements than any particular Republican losing.

Toomey and Kirk are likely to be one-termers. Paul and Johnson could be too depending on their voting records.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2010, 02:30:40 PM »

Toomey and Kirk are likely to be one-termers. Paul and Johnson could be too depending on their voting records.

What were your predictions for Russ Feingold and Blanche Lincoln this time six years ago?
nkpatel1279
United States

« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2010, 02:36:34 PM »

Lets not forget. Freshman GOP US Senators
Boozman-AR,Coats-IN,Moran-KS,Paul-KY,Hoeven-ND,and Lee-UT represent Ruby Red States. They will benifit from GOP Presidential nominee coattails.
Rubio-FL,Blunt-MO,Portman-OH,Toomey-PA,and Johnson-WI will depend on the national environment in 2016 -who the DEM challenger is and how well the 2016 DEM Presidential nominee does in those states.
Kirk-IL and Ayotte-NH the so called moderate Republican freshmans up for re-election. Kirk-IL loses being from a solid Blue State- lose to either Madigan,Simon,Giannoulias,Hynes,Quigley,or Duncan.  Ayotte-NH is going to get re-elected.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2010, 02:44:40 PM »

Johnson on the contrary was so vague and non-committal that even conservative newspapers in Wisconsin refused to endorse him saying that he wasn't ready for prime-time.  

Wink

Casey has received the same endorsement multiple times, yet you don't seem terribly impressed.

And thank you for ignoring my points.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2010, 02:47:15 PM »

Wink

Casey has received the same endorsement multiple times, yet you don't seem terribly impressed.

And thank you for ignoring my points.

You wanted to talk about endorsements. That doesn't mean someone isn't an empty suit though.
nkpatel1279
United States

« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2010, 02:47:27 PM »

Before the 2010 Election occured
Feingold-WI and Lincoln-AR were expected to face tough re-election campaigns. Both were re-elected in 2004 with 55% of the popular vote against generic GOP challengers. Represent puprle(WI) or Red(AR) states.  National Enviroment did Feingold in. and Lincoln faced a top tier GOP Challenger.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2010, 02:49:03 PM »

Feingold-WI and Lincoln-AR were expected to face tough re-election campaigns.

No, they weren't. Huckabee was asked to challenge Lincoln (who had high ratings) after 2008 and he said he'd rather light his hair on fire or something. Feingold wasn't thought to be in trouble until the early Fall of this year.

Nice try though.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2010, 02:56:15 PM »

You wanted to talk about endorsements. That doesn't mean someone isn't an empty suit though.

No, I didn't talk about endorsements per se. I said that even conservative newspapers refused to endorse Johnson to emphasize my point about how inadequate he is for the office he is about to assume.

Feingold-WI and Lincoln-AR were expected to face tough re-election campaigns.

No, they weren't. Huckabee was asked to challenge Lincoln (who had high ratings) after 2008 and he said he'd rather light his hair on fire or something. Feingold wasn't thought to be in trouble until the early Fall of this year.

Nice try though.

Boozman was a sitting congressman. He certainly was a top-tier challenger.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2010, 03:05:11 PM »

Boxer, Reid.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2010, 03:12:30 PM »

Boozman was a sitting congressman. He certainly was a top-tier challenger.

Boozman didn't get into the race until it was pretty obvious that Lincoln was a guaranteed loser.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2010, 03:14:35 PM »

No, I didn't talk about endorsements per se. I said that even conservative newspapers refused to endorse Johnson to emphasize my point about how inadequate he is for the office he is about to assume.

They said he wasn't ready for primetime. What we're their reasons?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Who the hell said that he wasn't? That doesn't negate the fact that Lincoln was very popular even after 2008.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2010, 03:51:04 PM »

They said he wasn't ready for primetime. What we're their reasons?

Who the hell said that he wasn't? That doesn't negate the fact that Lincoln was very popular even after 2008.

1)http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20101021/GPG0602/10210698

Feingold's opponent, Oshkosh businessman and political newcomer Ron Johnson, also has voiced his support for spending controls and fiscal responsibility in Washington. His plan for righting the U.S. economy, however, comes across as one-note: establish a hard spending cap, reduce government interference and allow businesses to flourish.

These are principles with which we agree; however, Johnson seemed unable to further articulate his plan for job creation — especially for the middle class — during a recent meeting with the Green Bay Press-Gazette editorial board. Basic principles of restraint are one thing; a detailed proposal to spur job creation and get our economy moving is another.

We don't doubt Johnson's sincerity as it relates to his campaign and point of view. He speaks passionately about the issues, including the controversial health care reform bill and what he perceives as a threat to the kind of top-notch medical care he credits for saving his now-adult daughter's life. We think that with time, Johnson could become a viable candidate for national office — but as things stand now, he needs more time to develop and articulate his positions on a range of issues from jobs to foreign policy.

2)Actually she wasn't. When PPP polled her a couple of months after Obama's inauguration she had very mediocre ratings and barely edged her unknown opponents.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2010, 03:57:16 PM »

1)http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20101021/GPG0602/10210698

Feingold's opponent, Oshkosh businessman and political newcomer Ron Johnson, also has voiced his support for spending controls and fiscal responsibility in Washington. His plan for righting the U.S. economy, however, comes across as one-note: establish a hard spending cap, reduce government interference and allow businesses to flourish.

These are principles with which we agree; however, Johnson seemed unable to further articulate his plan for job creation — especially for the middle class — during a recent meeting with the Green Bay Press-Gazette editorial board. Basic principles of restraint are one thing; a detailed proposal to spur job creation and get our economy moving is another.

We don't doubt Johnson's sincerity as it relates to his campaign and point of view. He speaks passionately about the issues, including the controversial health care reform bill and what he perceives as a threat to the kind of top-notch medical care he credits for saving his now-adult daughter's life. We think that with time, Johnson could become a viable candidate for national office — but as things stand now, he needs more time to develop and articulate his positions on a range of issues from jobs to foreign policy.

Not promising, I'll admit, but I'll side with the guy who has created hundreds of jobs but doesn't have a clear jobs plan yet when it comes to job creation.

It wasn't that way just a few months before that.
Capitan Zapp Brannigan
Addicted to Politics

« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2010, 06:58:17 PM »
« Edited: November 16, 2010, 07:00:49 PM by Capitan Zapp Brannigan »

After the last 2 years my hatred of John McCain knows no bounds.

DADT, immigration, the list goes on. He'll probably retire, but him losing would feel great.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2010, 07:04:43 PM »

After the last 2 years my hatred of John McCain knows no bounds.

DADT, immigration, the list goes on. He'll probably retire, but him losing would feel great.
[/quote

I believe he said that this would be his final term on election day.

I'd like to see Boxer go down, personally... whether to a Democrat in the primary or to a Republican in the general election. I just don't like her very much.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2010, 07:26:50 PM »

Definitely Rand Paul.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2010, 07:47:57 PM »

M. U. R. K. O. W. S. K. I.

She really lucked out. Had Joe Miller turned out to be the campaigner we thought he was, this would have looked somewhat like Florida. What it will depend on is if any Republican with some credentials runs against her in 2016. If one does, she has a greater then even chance of being in the same position Specter was in circa Feb-Mar 2009. She barely won the GOP primary in 2004 and lost the Republican primary in 2010. And she shows no signs of changing her ways. With all the focus on how Miller was the son of devil, I wouldn't be surprised if some pretty nasty and unethical stuff went on during her write-in campaign, also. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.   

And of course Harry Reid.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2010, 08:02:54 PM »

Looks like Lisa won the 2004 primary handily.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2010, 08:24:30 PM »

I must of confused it with her close general election result for some reason.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2010, 09:18:52 PM »

Ah, I remember those days. I was a supporter of the other Miller as well.
Nichlemn

« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2010, 09:39:08 AM »

I wonder if Murkowski will become the Republican Lieberman.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies