Edwards '08 and the South
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:07:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Edwards '08 and the South
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Edwards '08 and the South  (Read 2447 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 16, 2004, 06:03:12 PM »

Edwards is put on the Democratic ticket in 2004 and pundits wanted us to believe that suddenly southern states like Virginia and North Carolina - two big electoral prizes south of the Mason-Dixon - were in play.

In the end, Bush won Virginia by 8 points (just as he did in 2000) and he actually increased his lead in NC this year. The Kerry-Edwards ticket - just like the Gore-Lieberman team- suffered a 15 point defeat in the Tar Heel state. West Virginia was a state that many felt would go to Kerry with or without Edwards on the ticket. Edwards was selected and almost everyone agreed that this would only help. In the end, Bush won the state by 13 points - 7 points better than 2000.

My point: Isn't it alittle much to assume that the south will be in play if Edwards is the Presidential candidate in '08? The same thing with Governor Warner of Virginia. We heard this talk back in July. "Oh a southern on the ticket...put that state, that state and yeah that one too as tossups."When all was said and done, the Kerry-Edwards actually did worse in the south than Gore-Lieberman. So as I asked before, isn't it alittle much to think that the south will be in play if a southern is on the ticket?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2004, 07:01:02 PM »

It's hard to analyze these things.  Perhaps Kerry would have done even worse in NC if Edwards wasn't on the ticket.

Region did play a role in this last election.  Evidence of this comes from repeated Bush reminders about which state Kerry came from.

I agree though.  The South won't magically become "in play," especially if the Republican opponent is also a Southerner.  If the Republicans were to nominate a New England candidate, it is possible that Edwards could pick up a few Southern states. 
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2004, 07:03:10 PM »

Edwards is put on the Democratic ticket in 2004 and pundits wanted us to believe that suddenly southern states like Virginia and North Carolina - two big electoral prizes south of the Mason-Dixon - were in play.

In the end, Bush won Virginia by 8 points (just as he did in 2000) and he actually increased his lead in NC this year. The Kerry-Edwards ticket - just like the Gore-Lieberman team- suffered a 15 point defeat in the Tar Heel state. West Virginia was a state that many felt would go to Kerry with or without Edwards on the ticket. Edwards was selected and almost everyone agreed that this would only help. In the end, Bush won the state by 13 points - 7 points better than 2000.

My point: Isn't it alittle much to assume that the south will be in play if Edwards is the Presidential candidate in '08? The same thing with Governor Warner of Virginia. We heard this talk back in July. "Oh a southern on the ticket...put that state, that state and yeah that one too as tossups."When all was said and done, the Kerry-Edwards actually did worse in the south than Gore-Lieberman. So as I asked before, isn't it alittle much to think that the south will be in play if a southern is on the ticket?

I'd agree Edwards' voting record was pretty darn liberal for a southern senator and he really was an "empty suite"... Mark Warner is far more substantial but he should look to make a Senate run be it against Allen in 2006 or if Warner retires in 2008, Warner would be a far better "southern candidate" and particularly in a race with George W Bush, who is a very good "southern candidate"... Edwards should just go back to NC and network like hell for four years and then look to make a run for governor in 2008 and stick at it! as FDR did in NY, doubt he'll take my advice though, after four years of doing squat he'll be a much less competitive candidate IMHO and that will be true in the primaries as well as if he actually got the nod, and if the likes of Bayh and Warner run i think it would be unlikely that Edwards would get the nomination anyway.  
M

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2004, 03:31:09 PM »

Retire from what, exactly, in 2008? His gubernatorial term ends in 2005, and I believe he is not allowed to run for reelection. Were he elected senator in '06 the term would last till 2012. Personally, I would concentrate on the Midwest and Southwest with a Bayh-Richardson ticket, I think the South is a lost cause for the Dems at this time, and other fronts need desperately to be stopped up. Were the Dems to become only the coastal party, they would fail as a successful opposition like the Federalists and a huge shakeup of the system would be required.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2004, 04:55:34 PM »

Retire from what, exactly, in 2008? His gubernatorial term ends in 2005, and I believe he is not allowed to run for reelection. Were he elected senator in '06 the term would last till 2012.

I was referring to John Warner, the senior senator, who could well retire in 2008 and thus allow Warner to make a clean run for the senate and in such a race he would probably win, against Allen in 2006 however it would be tougher that said it would still be a very competitive race.

My view is that Warner isn't ready, despite a very solid record as VA Governor but he needs more experience IMHO and so a Senate run would make sense, I don't think he's ready for a presidential run and should serve at least a term as a Senator.

As for Edwards he should give up the idea that he could win in 2008, after four years of doing squat, he should intend look to recasting himself and making a run for governor in 2008.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2004, 11:19:55 PM »

Edwards wouldn't take his own state or anything in the South (other than FL or MAYBE MO) barring a landslide.

Mark Warner, assuming he wins his '06 Senate bid, might have a shot of reaching quasi-Clintonesque positions in the South if the Republicans run a Northerner (Guiliani / Thompson).  In reality, though, he's not likely to get anything beyond VA / MO / AR / FL (at Maximum)--and I'm not too sure what his pull would be on the other side of the Appalachians.  He'd be even worse off if the Republicans ran Owens or Jeb.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2004, 04:30:31 PM »

Edwards-Bahy ticket or the other way around could pull some of the south.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies