The Moral Failings of Christianity - New Testament as a Shield
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 04:41:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  The Moral Failings of Christianity - New Testament as a Shield
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: The Moral Failings of Christianity - New Testament as a Shield  (Read 12703 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: November 21, 2010, 02:36:45 PM »

In response to afleitch, where did the alien come from? How did the time traveler get there? Where did the fish get his magnificent powers?

Nothing does not make as much relevant sense as God. God means that this came from somewhere, nothing means that everything we do is the result of the randomness of the universe which was created, somehow, by nothing.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #76 on: November 21, 2010, 03:33:14 PM »

As I'm not as versed in quantum physics, I can't really give a good answer. You might get more details if you were to read Stephen Hawking's latest book, The Grand Design. Ultimately though there are things we just don't know. That said, just because it seems to "make sense" that there's an intelligent being that is responsible for it all does not mean it's logical to assume that it's true - the actual answer may be completely different.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

"Pointless" and "lonely" are terms we humans attribute to things. Even if we weren't created with intent, we still value our lives - we can give our own lives meaning. Also, we aren't really lonely considering we have each other.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Don't worry about it - it seems you know more than most.

In response to afleitch, where did the alien come from? How did the time traveler get there? Where did the fish get his magnificent powers?

Nothing does not make as much relevant sense as God. God means that this came from somewhere, nothing means that everything we do is the result of the randomness of the universe which was created, somehow, by nothing.

The same questions you ask about those solutions all apply to the God claim. Where did God come from? How did God get there? Where did God get his magnificent powers? You could exchange any number of things in place of God - fairies, spirits, nothing, etc. While some of them seem more absurd than others, they all leave the exact same unanswered questions, which is why none of them make any more sense logically than any other.

As I said, there are things that we just don't know. Not knowing is not an excuse to insert any random thing that pleases our aesthetic tastes. Doing so is called the argument from ignorance* fallacy, known in this case as the God of the Gaps fallacy. Since there are things we don't know, the important thing to do when we wish to find out is to ask the right questions. "Who created the universe?" is the wrong question to ask if you don't have any actual evidence that it was a "who" - this question eliminates possibilities unnecessarily. The right question is "What created the universe?" It's entirely possible we may never find out, but if we don't we just need to accept that we don't know and move on, not make things up and throw them into the gaps in our knowledge.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #77 on: November 21, 2010, 03:50:54 PM »

Sad thing is about atheism...If you're right, you're never gonna find out.

Re: Pointless, Lonely, and Random: I'm referring to outside of earth. If there is no God (or other creation), then everything, from the moment of creation would, frommy perspective, seem to be the result of the randomness of science. When I imagine a world without God, I imagine plante earth hurling through light years of nothingness, with nothing beyond the stars.

Yes, we do have each other, but in the end, when you're all alone, you're alone. You (if there's no God) don't have a fellow human, and you don't even have the Lord to find solace in.

Re: Creator:
God, obviously make more sense than a fish, right?
And, I don't know what you think, but it would be more likely that God is the Alpha and the Omega, and not the fish.

Then, of course, we can paraphrase Pat Buchanan, and say "The existence of the laws of physics implies the existence of a lawmaker".

Either way it's confusing:
If there's earth how did it get here?
If there's God, how did He get here?

However, it seems more likely (in my mind) that there would be a creator than none.

I'm not sure what other creation stories are like, but let's take the Greek Creation story. They were such at a loss for an idea on how the world was created that they admitted in their creation story something like "...and through some strok of fate, we don't know how..." The Christian version seems to sound much more definite:
There was God
God created earth
God created things on the earth

This is just a collection of random thought on God that I've picked up since I was five to present day.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #78 on: November 21, 2010, 04:43:27 PM »

Again, just because the answer seems to make sense to you doesn't mean you should accept it as being true. The idea of a creator deity creating us with a purpose is appealing, but just because you would like it to be true does not make it true.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #79 on: November 22, 2010, 03:44:13 AM »

Where did God come from and from where did he get his magnificent powers?
LBJ Revivalist
ModerateDemocrat1990

Political Matrix
E: -5.87, S: -2.87

« Reply #80 on: December 03, 2010, 07:56:28 PM »

I see the Atheists are doing another recruitment drive.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #81 on: December 05, 2010, 02:41:42 AM »

Of course religious belief is fundamentally irrational. That is why it is faith. Assigning it rational justification is pointless and indeed counterproductive.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #82 on: December 05, 2010, 04:12:58 PM »

I see the Atheists are doing another recruitment drive.

When are they not?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies