The Standard Electoral Map Colors
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:07:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Standard Electoral Map Colors
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Standard Electoral Map Colors  (Read 1668 times)
J-Mann
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 16, 2004, 12:48:46 AM »
« edited: November 16, 2004, 12:51:15 AM by J-Mann »

It hasn't always been red and blue.  I was searching around our university library and came across the US News & World Report archives and couldn't resist looking at old elections.  The Electoral Vote certainly wasn't emphasized like it is now, but the full map occassionally made an appearance, usually the week before an election to predict the results.

In 1968, Nixon was orange and Humphrey was black.  Wallace was grey.

In 1980, Reagan was green, Carter was orange, and the tossups were yellow.  The tossup states were strikingly similar to today's traditional swingers: Florida, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Missouri, and Kentucky.

In 1984, Reagan was light tan, Mondale was light blue, and the tossups were an ugly light green color.  Interestingly enough, US News's prediction had Mondale ahead in Minnesota and Massachusetts, with New York and Wisconsin as tossups.

1988's issues made no mention of the Electoral College, at least so far as a map detailing Bush's landslide was concerned.  It appeared that the articles were more concerned with the popular vote.

I didn't find 1992 and 1996, but by 2000 (of course), we were stuck with red (traditionally Republican) and blue (for the Democrats).  It seems that the brighter, bolder colors won out.

Just think if they hadn't.  Today's culture war may be defined as a conflict between orange-staters and green-staters!
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2004, 01:54:32 AM »

It hasn't always been red and blue.  I was searching around our university library and came across the US News & World Report archives and couldn't resist looking at old elections.  The Electoral Vote certainly wasn't emphasized like it is now, but the full map occassionally made an appearance, usually the week before an election to predict the results.

How much other color was in the magazine at this time?  My recollection is that USN&WR was much less photo-intensive than Time or Newsweek, and might have only used color for highlights, such as this map which was B&W with one color.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2004, 02:12:24 AM »

How much other color was in the magazine at this time?  My recollection is that USN&WR was much less photo-intensive than Time or Newsweek, and might have only used color for highlights, such as this map which was B&W with one color.

It had color, but you're right: USN & WR wasn't quite as photo-intensive as other magazines at the time.  Still, by 1980 there was lots of color.  I just think their choices for Electoral maps are interesting.  Rather pointless, but fun for junkies like myself, nonetheless.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2004, 03:56:20 AM »

It hasn't always been red and blue. 
Here is a references to the use of color to identify the parties in the late 19th and early 20th century in South Texas.  It should be noted that the relationship of color to party was not consistent across all counties.

Colorados y Azules - Texas Handbook
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies