Presidential Task Force on New Member Recruitment
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:11:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Presidential Task Force on New Member Recruitment
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Presidential Task Force on New Member Recruitment  (Read 4714 times)
The Artist Formerly Known As and Now Again Known As Ogis
agooji

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2010, 08:03:11 PM »

I love the idea of pre-registration; facebook, not so much.  I feel like recruiting should only be done in Atlasia; otherwise we end up with Ogis v.1 - a complete troll with no interest other than causing havoc.

I understand your annoyance with me, but this comment is completely baseless. I didn't join this forum to cause havoc, nor am I causing havoc currently. My joining this forum was not the result of a concerted recruitment effort, and I'm not some sort of example which you should shy away from.

Instead, look to how newbies have been treated in the last two years. Some established members attack new members with unfounded derision. A large problem of this recruitment process is retention of interested parties, not new member acquisition.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2010, 08:10:22 PM »

Guys, give Ogis the break. I don't know all previous history, but he's acting properly now.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2010, 08:36:28 PM »

Something else to consider...

This isn't the only fantasy government game on the internet. There are dozens of others, and I participate in a few. I don't think it would be a terrible idea to try and recruit members from those sites onto here. They have experience with fantasy government's so they wouldn't be a zombie, and since they obviously like politics, they'd also be contributing to other parts of the forum. The only obstacle with this is that I don't know how they'd feel about having to wait 2 weeks and gain 50 posts elsewhere before joining.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2010, 07:29:29 PM »

Perusing this thread, there seems to be three main schools of thought in this task force:

1. Fritz: I am advocating passive recruiting, as opposed to active recruiting, through off site advertising on Facebook, etc.  If the rest of this task force opposes this idea, I will drop it.

2. Teddy and Tmthforu94: recruit from other government sims.  My feeling is, I don't want to direct anyone to get involved in other games for the purpose of recruiting (although anyone so inclined is welcome to).  I think this idea could sort of be combined with the Fritz plan: we should try to get on some of these "lists" Teddy referred to.  Can we do that?

3. Kalwejt and Dallasfan65: onsite recruiting only.  Well, if this task force does nothing else, we should at least do this.  But, are the major parties already doing this?  I'd like to hear from party leaders in response to this question.  I have not personally been involved in recruiting efforts for the JCP, though I have been party to discussion of them.

Do we want to introduce legislation in the Senate, allowing people to "pre-register"?

Members, lets keep the discussion going here- lets formulate an action plan.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2010, 09:32:07 PM »

Teddy and I will get to work very quickly and divide up the simulations that we know of. I've already spoken to at least one member who has signed up for Atlas, but hasn't posted much.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2010, 11:28:56 PM »

Tmth?  Teddy?  You guys doing anything?

I am very close to giving up on this.  Maybe it was a bad idea.  For this to go anywhere, I need members to actually participate.  I've tried to keep the discussion going, but it feels like I'm talking to myself.  Tongue
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2010, 01:20:17 AM »

I am very close to giving up on this.  Maybe it was a bad idea.  For this to go anywhere, I need members to actually participate.  I've tried to keep the discussion going, but it feels like I'm talking to myself.  Tongue

And you didn't expect that? Tongue

The Budget committee showed that regardless of who is on it, a committee is very hard to keep active.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2010, 09:28:48 AM »

Absolutely. While I haven't communicated with Teddy yet (never been on at the same time), I have been talking to several people on another site, and at least one person has joined Atlas.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2010, 01:11:41 PM »

I love the idea of pre-registration; facebook, not so much.  I feel like recruiting should only be done in Atlasia; otherwise we end up with Ogis v.1 - a complete troll with no interest other than causing havoc.

I understand your annoyance with me, but this comment is completely baseless. I didn't join this forum to cause havoc, nor am I causing havoc currently. My joining this forum was not the result of a concerted recruitment effort, and I'm not some sort of example which you should shy away from.

Instead, look to how newbies have been treated in the last two years. Some established members attack new members with unfounded derision. A large problem of this recruitment process is retention of interested parties, not new member acquisition.
I hope I'm not butting in but I just wante dto comment on this.

Ogis makes a very good point in regards to established members attacking new members.  When I joined Atlasia about three months ago, I was immediately accused of being a "hamilton sock", "puppet account", etc.  I havn't seen much basically accusations of the sort since my joining against any other new members but I would expect it to start up again almost immediately if some of the ideas being tossed around in this thread are carried out.

Posting links to Atlasia in other government sims and "getting the word out" in general outside of these forums will generate a "massive" (by Atlasia standards) flurry of registration.  I can very easily see certain Atlasian personalities accusing their least favorite colleague (or maybe Hamilton) of creating numerous socks.  Trust me, being called a sock isn't a great way to welcome new members.  In short, member attitudes need to be addressed if any of this will work.

You also have to consider that people recruited from other forums will come here and expect to be allowed to join Atlasia immediately.  The law states that you must have 75 posts to register; a good majority of those new recruits will go back to their old sims rather than bother posting in the other forums.  Sure, its a good way to filter out the dedicated from the undedicated, though it could also encourage trolling in the other boards (people trying to get their post counts up) and scare away good recruits that don't want to spam the other forums.

Like I said earlier, the established members are the biggest hurdle to newer participants.  Atlasia has an air of cliquishness about it and what seems like a general distrust towards outsiders.  Before any recruiting drives commence, that attitude needs to be broken.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2010, 04:40:01 PM »

My point still stands that I discussed earlier. Do you want Atlasia to be a game for members of the Atlas forum or a game for the internet as a whole that also has a political forum attached? I always though, as did many others I'm sure, that this was a game for Atlasa forum members. If we open it up to people on other forums, then we should either A) lower the minimum post count to avoid cluttering other forums with useless span or B) scrap the offsite recruiting idea and just concentrate on introducing the game to newer Atlas members. It took me years to find this game, so it's not impossible to think there are people interested in the game that have no knowledge of it and are already posting on this forum. Adding new members would worsen the established v. new members, and I bet we'd see more incumbents thrown out, but it may worsen zombie voting past August 2009 levels which caused a great deal of uproar. It's just food for thought.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2010, 05:50:25 PM »

Guys, merits over numbers.

What use would we have from 300-500 members, if most of them would become zombies or empty numbers on voters roll?

I prefer, at least in this stage, a recruitment ONLY among Atlas posters.

Duke is absolutely right with his concerns about zombies.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2010, 06:17:14 PM »

I agree with Kal and Duke here.

We should be focusing on internal people, even that could end up with a mass of useless zombies.

We need the people involved... to actually want to participate in deabtes, rather than running for something, losing, then buggering off.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2010, 07:06:10 PM »

All right, I have taken it upon myself to begin an onsite recruitment drive.  I have sent this PM to all new registers in the last 30 days, who have made at least 20 posts.  Both of them!  Tongue  And neither of these is likely to join the JCP, either.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
-
KS21
Political Matrix
E: -0.97, S: -3.39

« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2010, 07:09:18 PM »

I hope I'm not butting in but I just wante dto comment on this.

Ogis makes a very good point in regards to established members attacking new members.  When I joined Atlasia about three months ago, I was immediately accused of being a "hamilton sock", "puppet account", etc.  I havn't seen much basically accusations of the sort since my joining against any other new members but I would expect it to start up again almost immediately if some of the ideas being tossed around in this thread are carried out.

Posting links to Atlasia in other government sims and "getting the word out" in general outside of these forums will generate a "massive" (by Atlasia standards) flurry of registration.  I can very easily see certain Atlasian personalities accusing their least favorite colleague (or maybe Hamilton) of creating numerous socks.  Trust me, being called a sock isn't a great way to welcome new members.  In short, member attitudes need to be addressed if any of this will work.

You also have to consider that people recruited from other forums will come here and expect to be allowed to join Atlasia immediately.  The law states that you must have 75 posts to register; a good majority of those new recruits will go back to their old sims rather than bother posting in the other forums.  Sure, its a good way to filter out the dedicated from the undedicated, though it could also encourage trolling in the other boards (people trying to get their post counts up) and scare away good recruits that don't want to spam the other forums.

Like I said earlier, the established members are the biggest hurdle to newer participants.  Atlasia has an air of cliquishness about it and what seems like a general distrust towards outsiders.  Before any recruiting drives commence, that attitude needs to be broken.

^^^
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2010, 07:16:38 PM »

Well, I think the fact that I sent a recruitment PM to people I do not expect to join my party, should dispell any accusations of zombie-ism.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2010, 07:45:14 PM »

Well, I think the fact that I sent a recruitment PM to people I do not expect to join my party, should dispell any accusations of zombie-ism.

I just think we should start cautiously. If Task Force can work successfully with onsite recruitment, we can move forward.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2010, 09:17:49 PM »

My apologies for not being very active, Mr. President.

An idea I had: What if we were to advertise a description of the game in our signatures, with a link?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2010, 10:16:34 PM »

Well, boss, you can order cabinet members to do it Grin

(actually, why not?)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2010, 07:38:57 AM »

Anyway, since we obviously are going to start with on-site recruitment, I send PMs to severeal people from diffrent political background.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2010, 02:09:37 PM »

Bump.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2010, 04:53:31 PM »

How much is this costing the tax payers again?

Or is this being funded from the Caymen Islands as well? Tongue
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2010, 01:58:28 AM »

I like Dallasfan's idea of signature advertisment.

Dallas, could you show a project to us? Smiley
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2010, 02:03:48 AM »

I like Dallasfan's idea of signature advertisment.

Dallas, could you show a project to us? Smiley

Well, I'm open to any ideas - but in my opinion it would just be a written description (perhaps a paragraph's length) with a link included.

Of course, if anybody has creative banners that would be cool too.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2010, 08:51:51 PM »

I changed my signature to advertise Atlasia.

I urge fellow Task Force members to do the same and possibly prepare some nice banners/texts Smiley
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2010, 07:05:58 PM »

Update: I have messaged several members on other fantasy games about joining Atlasia. At least two people have registered for the site, though neither have made the eligibility requirements yet.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies