SF first major city to ban toys with fast food meals
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 03:07:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  SF first major city to ban toys with fast food meals
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: SF first major city to ban toys with fast food meals  (Read 5683 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 04, 2010, 12:46:30 AM »

link
You must be logged in to read this quote.
WHOA!...did that guy just insinuate brown people are sh**tty, ignorant parents?  <googles>...oh, he's an asian so I guess it's ok.

Expect more of this freedom hating bullspit in the future.  I'm sure the nanny staters here will fully endorse this trend.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 05:18:30 AM »

Deadman, your outcry about 'freedom' is comical here, considering every comestible available to the american worker is under the iron control of the corporation cabal.  Yes, such laws limit the freedom of some huge dominant corporations to seduce children to consume their poisons, but lets remember - freedom is already long gone, and its demise is due entirely to said corporations.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 05:21:54 AM »

Roll Eyes
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 05:28:30 AM »

I'm a bit conflicted on this one. On one hand, the civil libertarian in me hates the idea of doing something like this. It's obviously intrusive and nanny-ish.

But on the other hand, including little toys in happy meals and so on is very effective at getting people to buy their terrible food that literally ruins your body if you eat alot of it. Considering that this is a corporate effort aimed at little kids, basically, for lack of a better word, brainwashing them with a constant barrage of marketing and rewards for wanting the terrible food, I think I can kind of excuse something like this. Yes, parents should be more proactive on this effort, but the sad truth is, they're not. It's for the best.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 05:47:04 AM »

If liking the end of something this sinister means I hate freedom, so be it.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 05:55:29 AM »

Should we pass laws banning all promotion of things that are bad for us?  Should we ban beer ads that show people having fun?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 05:57:44 AM »

Should we pass laws banning all promotion of things that are bad for us?  Should we ban beer ads that show people having fun?

Do they market beer to 5 year olds?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 06:00:10 AM »

For children? Absolutely.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 06:11:28 AM »

aaahhh, the old "won't someone please think of the children" line.  Earth, I'm sure, will disagree with you.
A small part of this issue is when did the public sphere, culture itself, because "family friendly", that we myopically focus on goddamn kids? So much utterly ridiculous bullsh*t gets ignored because it's framed as a discussion centered around "won't someone please think of the children".
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 06:13:50 AM »

San Fransisco is a great city. I fully support this.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2010, 08:00:34 AM »

aaahhh, the old "won't someone please think of the children" line.  Earth, I'm sure, will disagree with you.
A small part of this issue is when did the public sphere, culture itself, because "family friendly", that we myopically focus on goddamn kids? So much utterly ridiculous bullsh*t gets ignored because it's framed as a discussion centered around "won't someone please think of the children".

Just so we're clear on this. You support beer ads that target children? Shall we include a toy with every six pack?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2010, 08:09:58 AM »

Not surprising to see who the authoritarians here are.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2010, 08:36:52 AM »

Just so we're clear on this. You support beer ads that target children? Shall we include a toy with every six pack?
No, I missunderstood your initial position and thought you just wanted to ban advertising that promoted "bad things".  I didn't know your whole problem with it was "won't someone please think of the children".  My bad.

(but yeah, 18 year olds should be able to buy beer and the gun grabbers always include 18 year olds as children when calculating gun violence....so yeah, I do think beer should be advertised to "children"...and a toy might be cool...depending on what it is)
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2010, 09:01:36 AM »

And Democrats wonder why libertarians tolerate Republicans more.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2010, 11:04:04 AM »

This is a perfect example of how social liberals are no better than social conservatives from a libertarian perspective.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2010, 11:05:25 AM »

I agree this is pretty silly. It's not like getting rid of the toys will get parents to quit buying their kids McDonald's anyway, they do that because it's fast and cheap.
hawkeye59
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2010, 11:13:39 AM »

This.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2010, 11:14:42 AM »

HC
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2010, 11:23:27 AM »

Worm, I am a social conservative yet believe people should be largely responsible for themselves.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2010, 11:38:15 AM »

I agree this is pretty silly. It's not like getting rid of the toys will get parents to quit buying their kids McDonald's anyway, they do that because it's fast and cheap.

In other words, poverty is what feeds McDonalds.
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2010, 12:00:58 PM »

aaahhh, the old "won't someone please think of the children" line.  Earth, I'm sure, will disagree with you.

Thank you.

aaahhh, the old "won't someone please think of the children" line.  Earth, I'm sure, will disagree with you.

We should include Hannah Montana Twister games with every six pack, and bottle of Jager. Kids still couldn't buy it.

SF could even hand out packaged toys to prostitutes when they hand out condoms, so they can give their Johns' kids something to do while daddy gets serviced.

This is a perfect example of how social liberals are no better than social conservatives from a libertarian perspective.

What sets standard libertarians apart? After all, if you aren't socially liberal, you're just stereotypically right wing.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2010, 12:07:15 PM »

Worm, I am a social conservative yet believe people should be largely responsible for themselves.

I forget, are you for legalization of drugs, prostitution, etc.?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2010, 03:34:39 PM »

Which is the main issue with the notion that this will actually do anything. They can include as many toys as they want, five-year olds are still only eating McDonald's because their parents are taking them there. Obviously the kids won't harass their parents to go there quite as much now, but let's not pretend that's a meaningful factor in the consumption of fast food by youth.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2010, 03:38:44 PM »

Which is the main issue with the notion that this will actually do anything. They can include as many toys as they want, five-year olds are still only eating McDonald's because their parents are taking them there. Obviously the kids won't harass their parents to go there quite as much now, but let's not pretend that's a meaningful factor in the consumption of fast food by youth.

I think it will have more of an impact than you suggest, really. Toys are at times a pretty big factor in kids wanting to go to McDonald's. I know I wanted McDonald's toys all the time when I was little, when they had a toy worth getting. Even if it has only a minuscule impact, it's still better than not doing it at all.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2010, 03:42:29 PM »

I think it will have more of an impact than you suggest, really. Toys are at times a pretty big factor in kids wanting to go to McDonald's. I know I wanted McDonald's toys all the time when I was little, when they had a toy worth getting. Even if it has only a minuscule impact, it's still better than not doing it at all.

Ignoring that the responsibility for the children eating there rests solely with the parents?
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies