Clean Energy Act (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:17:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Clean Energy Act (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Clean Energy Act  (Read 9669 times)
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« on: November 16, 2004, 02:20:59 PM »

Texasgurl, in your original clause 2 refers to "districts" yet all the others to regions. I suggest consistency.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2004, 05:50:35 PM »

Well PPT JFK, I changed the term from District to Region because I thought it was a typo, district our the elected areas for Senators, and a Region is a state Government. A district has no power to make energy reforms, so I changed it. Sorry.

Siege

Yes, I realised it was a mistake, that is why I pointed it out - it could create a serious loophole regarding government refusing to pay funding to the regions as the act did not require them to.

Am I to assume texasgurl is withdrawing her version and yours is the definitive one Siege?
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2004, 04:12:05 PM »

I do not agree with the "elimination" of non-renewable heavy pollutant power production (note no of should be between non-renewable and heavy pollutant power if I am not mistaken) as I do not think it would be foreseeably possible to rely solely on renewable energy sources, especially if nuclear power is not included  as they simply cannot produce enough power in many areas.

Also, under your list of renewable sources I believe you should also include Tidal, Wave and Geothermal energy.

I don't think in 25 years we can hope to remove all forms of polluting energy sources and I think it would be very costly to have these back up sources of energy, I think we should be still using them, but in smaller quantities.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2004, 02:07:49 PM »

A comma is needed between Tidal and Wave, they are two different ways of generating electricity, a tidal wave is not so great Wink.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2004, 03:16:07 PM »

A comma is needed between Tidal and Wave, they are two different ways of generating electricity, a tidal wave is not so great Wink.

^^
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2004, 04:31:14 PM »

I think that this is a nice idea and a noble one at that.

However, I have concerns regarding the feasibility. It requires that the regions use all of these renewable forms of energy, but unless some serious progress is made over the next twenty-five years, I do not see it being possible to base our infrastructure solely on renewable sources of energy.

This also has some severe economic problems attached, firstly the research into these forms of energy will be expensive in itself, not to mention the establishment of all the different types of power plants all across Atlasia, no easy feat. It also incurs costs in the fact that the coal, oil, gas etc. plants must be kept in good condition as a form of back-up in case the renewable sources of energy fail, this means that the government is having to spend an absolute fortune to keep the power grid of Atlasia afloat, something I do not see being economically viable. If you can produce for me a twenty-five year forecast on the costs incurred through this bill that seems within reason to me, I will gladly vote in favour, if not, I do not feel I can.

Instead of trying to eliminate non-renewable forms of energy, we should be encouraging renewable forms by means of tax cuts and systems of this type, I do not think it is feasible within the next twenty-five years that we could rely solely on renewable forms of energy.

While this is nice in principle, I do not find it feasible.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2004, 05:13:10 AM »

As the Status thread of Peter Bell doesn't recognise this as on the Senate floor, I declare the debate open.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2004, 12:15:46 PM »

I wish that the Mag Lev issue be addressed in another bill, perhaps addressing restrictions on SUVs and heavy trucks, and something of the like. I suggest the Clean Transportaion Act, related, but not here.

Siege

Very well, but I request that federal funding for research into clean coal technology be a part of this bill.

I agree. I'll get on it soon.

Siege

Have you produced a definitive version of your act? It is supposed to go to a vote today and it would be nice to know which version.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2004, 05:53:17 PM »

Clean Energy Act of Nov. 26 2004 - Draft 4

Definitions:

Clean Energy - A form of power generation that produces little to no pollution. Little meaning less than 5 tonnes of air pollution for yearly operation. (Currently the average Coal Plant produces something like 30-100 tonnes) This term also covers all renewable sources, and any future developments that meet these two criteria.

Hazardous or Non-Renewable Power - Oil, Gas, and Coal power production.

Renewable - (As of Oct. 2004) – Electricity generated through the following methods Hydro, Wind, Solar, Geothermal, Tidal, Wave, Nuclear Fission, Nuclear Fusion and Biomass.

Power Plant - Any structure that produces over 1000 Watts of electricity.

Small Generator - Equal to or less than 1000 Watts.

Efficiency – Reducing the amount of pollution produced by this form of power by 20% or more.

Sections

1. Regional Planning

A. The regions of Atlasia shall have 25 years to discuss, decide and implement the type of alternative, clean energy that suits their region the best. A plan for the elimination, reduction or regulation to increase the efficiency of non-renewable of heavy pollutant power production must be drafted and ready for implementation.

B. The federal government shall allocate rather total or partial funds to help the Regions meet these goals, providing that the Senate through a vote deems the plan feasible.

2. Penalties for failure of Regional Action

A. If the deadline is not met the Federal Government will intervene and implement a Federal plan to reduce, eliminate or increase the efficiency of hazardous power generation.

3. Back-up

A. The regions of Atlasia shall be required to have back up sources of energy (i.e. Coal, nuclear energy) available and ready to be used.

B. The Federal Government has the power to prosecute any lapse in this policy.

4. Citizen Power

A. Any citizen is allowed to own his or her own independent small generator of any make or model.

B. Any citizen that purchases a clean or renewable individual small generator for their home, or if a citizen purchases a hybrid or clean vehicle, the government will refund 20% of the cost.

C. Any business that purchases a clean or renewable individual small generator for their business or if a business purchases a hybrid or clean vehicle, the government will refund 15% of the cost.

Siege

I think this may be it.

See Siege40's latest comments, he said he would get right on changing something, I wasn't sure if he had done that or not.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2004, 04:09:15 PM »

Well, with two votes already in I declare the voting open.

All Senators please vote yea, nay or abstain.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2004, 04:45:16 PM »

Despite prior objections, I think that if we use the more efficient coal technology, it won't be such a problem.

Yea
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2004, 06:35:25 PM »

With five yeas and one nay, this bill has passed.

I present it to the President for his signature.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies