Clean Energy Act
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:56:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Clean Energy Act
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Clean Energy Act  (Read 9579 times)
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 15, 2004, 05:59:23 PM »
« edited: November 15, 2004, 06:42:34 PM by Senator Texasgurl »

Upon the passage of this bill:

1. The regions of Atlasia shall have six decades to discuss, decide and implement the type of alternative, clean energy that suits their region the best.
1b. The federal government shall allocate sufficient funds to help the districts meet these goals.
2. If the deadline is not met the Federal Government will intervene and finish the job post haste only and only if the job hasn’t been completed.
3. The regions of Atlasia shall be required to have back up sources of energy (i.e. Coal, nuclear energy) available and ready to be used.
    A. The Federal Government has the power to prosecute any lapse in this policy
4. Every Atlasian citizen is required to receive energy from the new sources if wanted and also have access to the back up sources.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'll introduce this now but we still need to pass a senate power act.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2004, 06:25:57 PM »

1. The regions of Atlasia shall have six decades to discuss, decide and implement the type of alternative, clean energy that suits their region the best.

I recommend you open up federal funds for this research as our regions are too poor to budget it themselves.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2004, 06:29:27 PM »

Better?
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2004, 06:36:23 PM »

4. Every Atlasian citizen is required to receive energy from the new sources and also have access to the back up sources.

REQUIRED? Are you going to ask the Amish to wire their houses for clean energy? What if i want to use a diesel generator and create my own, non-clean power?

Seriously, this doesn't jive well with me.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2004, 06:38:34 PM »

4. Every Atlasian citizen is required to receive energy from the new sources and also have access to the back up sources.

REQUIRED? Are you going to ask the Amish to wire their houses for clean energy? What if i want to use a diesel generator and create my own, non-clean power?

Way to take it out of context.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2004, 06:40:38 PM »

I suggest that you re-word it, so over-serious bureaucrats don't pester the Amish.
Siege40

Political Matrix
E: -6.25, S: -4.26

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2004, 06:41:56 PM »

Perhaps it should be applied to all sources of major power generation, over a certain quantity of watts or something. Wouldn't want to crush Daniel's freedoms. I think, sadly, their choice of generation is not our responsibility, in the big picture there isn't enough independant generators to make a difference.

Siege
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2004, 06:48:32 PM »

Taking the law out of context is what makes lawyers rich. Smiley

Seriously, tho, this bill has some major problems due to lack of specificity, such as...

1) What constitutues an alternative source of energy?

2) What makes energy "clean" ?

3) The penalties under the law are not clearly specified.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2004, 06:50:06 PM »

Seriously, tho, this bill has some major problems due to lack of specificity, such as...

Whatever the regions decide?
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2004, 06:51:43 PM »

As far as penalties make a sugestion.
Siege40

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2004, 06:52:15 PM »

The problem is when you give someone 60 years the technology may change, it is difficult to predict, however, I think a definition would be good, like "Any form of energy production that produces X watts of energy, with Y or less UNITS of pollution.

Siege
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2004, 06:58:03 PM »

This is the reason i posted this now was to get feedback.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2004, 08:00:51 PM »

Great idea, but we really should be more clear.
And why six decades?  Why not 3 or 2?
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2004, 09:35:46 PM »

Time frame is certainly negotiable.
Siege40

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2004, 10:02:45 PM »

I had some ideas, and I just wanted to repost the whole shibang.

Definitions:

Clean Energy - A form of power generation that produces little to no pollution. Little meaning less than 5 tonnes of air pollution for yearly operation. (Currently the average Coal Plant produces something like 30-100 tonnes) This term also covers all renewable sources, and any future developments that meet these two criteria.

Hazardous or Non-Renewable Power - Nuclear, Oil, Gas, and Coal power production.

Renewable - (As of Oct. 2004) - Hydro, Wind, Solar, and Biomass.

Power Plant - Any structure that produces over 1000 Volts of electricity.

Small Generator - Equal to or less than 1000 Volts.

Sections

1. The regions of Atlasia shall have 25 years to discuss, decide and implement the type of alternative, clean energy that suits their region the best. A plan for the elimination or reduction of non-renewable of heavy pollutant power production must be drafted and ready for implementation.

1b. The federal government shall allocate sufficient funds to help the Regions meet these goals, providing that the plan is deemed feasible by the Senate.

2. If the deadline is not met the Federal Government will intervene and implement a Federal plan to reduce/eliminate hazardous power generation.

3. The regions of Atlasia shall be required to have back up sources of energy (i.e. Coal, nuclear energy) available and ready to be used.

3A. The Federal Government has the power to prosecute any lapse in this policy.

4. Any citizen is allowed to own his or her own independent small power generator of any make or model.

Siege
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2004, 11:11:04 PM »

Seems better than mine. Smiley
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2004, 03:16:40 AM »

I hoppose this. And I thik senators should really stop puting forward new bills that will all be deemed unconstitutional, and work on constitutional ammendments first.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2004, 04:45:13 AM »

I like some of Siege's ideas.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2004, 02:20:59 PM »

Texasgurl, in your original clause 2 refers to "districts" yet all the others to regions. I suggest consistency.
Siege40

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2004, 03:30:36 PM »

Well PPT JFK, I changed the term from District to Region because I thought it was a typo, district our the elected areas for Senators, and a Region is a state Government. A district has no power to make energy reforms, so I changed it. Sorry.

Siege
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2004, 05:50:35 PM »

Well PPT JFK, I changed the term from District to Region because I thought it was a typo, district our the elected areas for Senators, and a Region is a state Government. A district has no power to make energy reforms, so I changed it. Sorry.

Siege

Yes, I realised it was a mistake, that is why I pointed it out - it could create a serious loophole regarding government refusing to pay funding to the regions as the act did not require them to.

Am I to assume texasgurl is withdrawing her version and yours is the definitive one Siege?
Siege40

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2004, 06:15:55 PM »

Siege

Yes, I realised it was a mistake, that is why I pointed it out - it could create a serious loophole regarding government refusing to pay funding to the regions as the act did not require them to.

Am I to assume texasgurl is withdrawing her version and yours is the definitive one Siege?

Well, that's up to her, but I think it is.

Siege
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2004, 06:28:01 PM »

While I have some serious misgivings about this act, as a technical point you need to express the difference between small and large power plants in terms of Watts, not Volts.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2004, 06:29:14 PM »

Siege

That is correct.
Siege40

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2004, 03:42:55 PM »

Updated based on recommendations.

Definitions:

Clean Energy - A form of power generation that produces little to no pollution. Little meaning less than 5 tonnes of air pollution for yearly operation. (Currently the average Coal Plant produces something like 30-100 tonnes) This term also covers all renewable sources, and any future developments that meet these two criteria.

Hazardous or Non-Renewable Power - Nuclear, Oil, Gas, and Coal power production.

Renewable - (As of Oct. 2004) - Hydro, Wind, Solar, and Biomass.

Power Plant - Any structure that produces over 1000 Watts of electricity.

Small Generator - Equal to or less than 1000 Watts.

Sections

1. The regions of Atlasia shall have 25 years to discuss, decide and implement the type of alternative, clean energy that suits their region the best. A plan for the elimination or reduction of non-renewable of heavy pollutant power production must be drafted and ready for implementation.

1b. The federal government shall allocate sufficient funds to help the Regions meet these goals, providing that the plan is deemed feasible by the Senate.

2. If the deadline is not met the Federal Government will intervene and implement a Federal plan to reduce/eliminate hazardous power generation.

3A. The Federal Government has the power to prosecute any lapse in this policy.

4. Any citizen is allowed to own his or her own independent small power generator of any make or model.

Siege
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies