Clean Energy Act
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:58:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Clean Energy Act
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Clean Energy Act  (Read 9658 times)
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2004, 10:08:58 AM »

Clean Energy Act of Nov. 26 2004 - Draft 4

Definitions:

Clean Energy - A form of power generation that produces little to no pollution. Little meaning less than 5 tonnes of air pollution for yearly operation. (Currently the average Coal Plant produces something like 30-100 tonnes) This term also covers all renewable sources, and any future developments that meet these two criteria.

Hazardous or Non-Renewable Power - Oil, Gas, and Coal power production.

Renewable - (As of Oct. 2004) – Electricity generated through the following methods Hydro, Wind, Solar, Geothermal, Tidal, Wave, Nuclear Fission, Nuclear Fusion and Biomass.

Power Plant - Any structure that produces over 1000 Watts of electricity.

Small Generator - Equal to or less than 1000 Watts.

Efficiency – Reducing the amount of pollution produced by this form of power by 20% or more.

Sections

1. Regional Planning

A. The regions of Atlasia shall have 25 years to discuss, decide and implement the type of alternative, clean energy that suits their region the best. A plan for the elimination, reduction or regulation to increase the efficiency of non-renewable of heavy pollutant power production must be drafted and ready for implementation.

B. The federal government shall allocate rather total or partial funds to help the Regions meet these goals, providing that the Senate through a vote deems the plan feasible.

2. Penalties for failure of Regional Action

A. If the deadline is not met the Federal Government will intervene and implement a Federal plan to reduce, eliminate or increase the efficiency of hazardous power generation.

3. Back-up

A. The regions of Atlasia shall be required to have back up sources of energy (i.e. Coal, nuclear energy) available and ready to be used.

B. The Federal Government has the power to prosecute any lapse in this policy.

4. Citizen Power

A. Any citizen is allowed to own his or her own independent small generator of any make or model.

B. Any citizen that purchases a clean or renewable individual small generator for their home, or if a citizen purchases a hybrid or clean vehicle, the government will refund 20% of the cost.

C. Any business that purchases a clean or renewable individual small generator for their business or if a business purchases a hybrid or clean vehicle, the government will refund 15% of the cost.

Siege
I think you should changes 5 tonnes in the first paragraph to 10 tonnes so that Clean Energy would also include certain Clean Coal technology that is making Coal operations cleaner and more effecient. The main thing is that if this piece of legislation is passed would these Clean Energy Source provide enough power. Power grids are already heading near capacity and we have seen what has happened when one power station has a surge, the power outage that went across the whole Northeast a year ago. That is why I am pushing for this Clean Coal techonology because that would enable Coal plants that are operating as of now to convert to this new energy type and provide more megawatts of power that Atlasia needs.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2004, 12:59:07 PM »

I know that I am not an Senator, but if I may make a request... I used to work here you know.

I would like to attach a proposal to this bill that would call for federal funding of research into the building of Mag/Lev trains.

Mag/Lev Trains are a concept that is currently being realized in Japan.  The science behind the Mag/Lev is not fantasy, indeed it is very real.

http://www.o-keating.com/hsr/maglev.htm

These trains function by electro-magnetically charging a rail.  When the possitive and negative forces from train and rail interact, they repel and cause the train to lift off the rail.  This lack of friction then allows the train to be propelled forward at incredible speeds of up to 190 mph.  However, the trains are very safe and unless a severe maintinance mishap occures, the chances of derailment boarder on impossible. 

The trains would help protect the environment, as the cause no external pollution themselves and would certainly replace some airline and automobile travel.

I believe that this is a wise investment into science, the environment and the future of our nation.

I propose that this body make it a priority to fund research into this area for the next 10-15 years.  We should set as a long term priority, the construction of Mag/Lev lines btween San Francisco and San Diego and Boston and Washington D.C. by the year 2030.

I humbly ask a Senator to propose this as an ammendment to this bill.

Thank you.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2004, 06:30:43 PM »

Whatever the merits of mag lev trains or promoting clean energy production may or may not be, they are sufficiently different in scope that I would prefer that they be addressed in seperate bills.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2004, 08:22:21 PM »

I know that I am not an Senator, but if I may make a request... I used to work here you know.

I would like to attach a proposal to this bill that would call for federal funding of research into the building of Mag/Lev trains.

Mag/Lev Trains are a concept that is currently being realized in Japan.  The science behind the Mag/Lev is not fantasy, indeed it is very real.

These trains function by electro-magnetically charging a rail.  When the possitive and negative forces from train and rail interact, they repel and cause the train to lift off the rail.  This lack of friction then allows the train to be propelled forward at incredible speeds of up to 190 mph.  However, the trains are very safe and unless a severe maintinance mishap occures, the chances of derailment boarder on impossible. 

The trains would help protect the environment, as the cause no external pollution themselves and would certainly replace some airline and automobile travel.

I believe that this is a wise investment into science, the environment and the future of our nation.

I propose that this body make it a priority to fund research into this area for the next 10-15 years.  We should set as a long term priority, the construction of Mag/Lev lines btween San Francisco and San Diego and Boston and Washington D.C. by the year 2030.

Thank you.

I wil take my current Senate opponent's suggestion and propose an Amendment:

Mag-lev trains

1.  An increase in funding for research for Mag-Lev trains of $100 million over the next 20 years

2.  These trains are needed in the following Atlasia corridors. 

a.  Houlton,ME (Canadian Border)-Bangor-Portland-Portsmouth-Boston-Providence-Hartford-New Haven-New York-Philadelphia-Baltimore-Washington,DC-Richmond-Raleigh-Charleston-Savannah-Jacksonville-Daytona Beach-Miami (roughly I-95)

1. Spur to East Stroudsburg,PA
             2. Spur to Atlantic City, NJ
             3.  Spur to Orlando-Tampa, FL from Daytona Beach

b(main).  New York-Cleveland-Chicago-Des Moines-Omaha-Denver-Salt Lake City-Reno-San Francisco (roughly I-80)

1. Spur to Detroit, MI

b1.  Cleveland-Erie-Buffalo-Syracuse-Albany-Boston (I-90)

b2. Chicago-Milwaukee-Maidson-Minneapolis-Fargo-Bismarck-Missoula-Spokane-Seattle (I-90/94) 

c.  Candian border-Seattle-Portland-San Francisco-Los Angeles-San Diego-Mexican border (I-5)

d. San Diego-Phoenix-El Paso-San Antonio-Houston-New Orleans-Mobile-Tallahassee-Jacksonville (I-10)

e. Mexican border-San Anontio-Austin-Dallas-Oklahoma City-Kansas City-Des Moines-Minneapolis-Duluth (I-35)

3.  Clause 2 shall be the top prorities.  We hope to get these in effect by 2025.  More corridors may come later

Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2004, 08:28:09 PM »

Could you please clarify clause 1:

Is it $100 million a year for 20 years or a $5 million a year for 20 years.

As a general point, could people be specific when proposing legislation that appropriates money for a number of years as to whether the appropriation is a total for all the years, or is a per year figure.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2004, 08:30:20 PM »

Thank you.

Mag-lev trains

1.  An increase in funding for research for Mag-Lev trains of $100 million over the next 20 years

a.  Houlton,ME (Canadian Border)-Bangor-Portland-Portsmouth-Boston-Providence-Hartford-New Haven-New York-Philadelphia-Baltimore-Washington,DC-Richmond-Raleigh-Charleston-Savannah-Jacksonville-Daytona Beach-Miami (roughly I-95)

b(main).  New York-Cleveland-Chicago-Des Moines-Omaha-Denver-Salt Lake City-Reno-San Francisco (roughly I-80)

1. Spur to Detroit, MI

b2. Chicago-Milwaukee-Maidson-Minneapolis-Fargo-Bismarck-Missoula-Spokane-Seattle (I-90/94) 

c.  Candian border-Seattle-Portland-San Francisco-Los Angeles-San Diego-Mexican border (I-5)

d. San Diego-Phoenix-El Paso-San Antonio-Houston-New Orleans-Mobile-Tallahassee-Jacksonville (I-10)

e. Mexican border-San Anontio-Austin-Dallas-Oklahoma City-Kansas City-Des Moines-Minneapolis-Duluth (I-35)

3.  Clause 2 shall be the top prorities.  We hope to get these in effect by 2025.  More corridors may come later

Well, my opponent knows a good idea when he sees one, I have to give him that.  Thank you, Senator, for spearheading this.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2004, 09:03:32 PM »

Thank you.

Mag-lev trains

1. Spur to Detroit, MI

Mr. Senator if I could make a suggestion. Why don't you propose this as a seperate bill. This bill is already rather cluttered and I would rather see this as a seperate bill to be debated seperately from the Clean Energy Act.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2004, 12:22:14 PM »

I strongly support this legislation. I feel that alternative energy research is of paramount importance and the future of Atlasia depends upon it. This legislation will promote responsible use of energy and enhance our nation's ability to respond to future energy problems.
Siege40

Political Matrix
E: -6.25, S: -4.26

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2004, 03:33:38 PM »

I wish that the Mag Lev issue be addressed in another bill, perhaps addressing restrictions on SUVs and heavy trucks, and something of the like. I suggest the Clean Transportaion Act, related, but not here.

Siege
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2004, 03:33:51 PM »

I wish that the Mag Lev issue be addressed in another bill, perhaps addressing restrictions on SUVs and heavy trucks, and something of the like. I suggest the Clean Transportaion Act, related, but not here.

Siege

Very well, but I request that federal funding for research into clean coal technology be a part of this bill.
Siege40

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: November 30, 2004, 05:28:52 PM »

Siege

Very well, but I request that federal funding for research into clean coal technology be a part of this bill.

I agree. I'll get on it soon.

Siege
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #61 on: November 30, 2004, 08:09:54 PM »

Siege

Thank you.  I would draft it myself, but I'm not a Senator.  Smiley

Siege
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #62 on: December 04, 2004, 12:15:46 PM »

Siege

Siege

Have you produced a definitive version of your act? It is supposed to go to a vote today and it would be nice to know which version.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #63 on: December 04, 2004, 05:51:03 PM »

Definitions:

Clean Energy - A form of power generation that produces little to no pollution. Little meaning less than 5 tonnes of air pollution for yearly operation. (Currently the average Coal Plant produces something like 30-100 tonnes) This term also covers all renewable sources, and any future developments that meet these two criteria.

Renewable - (As of Oct. 2004) – Electricity generated through the following methods Hydro, Wind, Solar, Geothermal, Tidal, Wave, Nuclear Fission, Nuclear Fusion and Biomass.

Efficiency – Reducing the amount of pollution produced by this form of power by 20% or more.

Sections

1. Regional Planning

A. The regions of Atlasia shall have 25 years to discuss, decide and implement the type of alternative, clean energy that suits their region the best. A plan for the elimination, reduction or regulation to increase the efficiency of non-renewable of heavy pollutant power production must be drafted and ready for implementation.

B. The federal government shall allocate rather total or partial funds to help the Regions meet these goals, providing that the Senate through a vote deems the plan feasible.

A. If the deadline is not met the Federal Government will intervene and implement a Federal plan to reduce, eliminate or increase the efficiency of hazardous power generation.

3. Back-up

A. The regions of Atlasia shall be required to have back up sources of energy (i.e. Coal, nuclear energy) available and ready to be used.

4. Citizen Power

A. Any citizen is allowed to own his or her own independent small generator of any make or model.

B. Any citizen that purchases a clean or renewable individual small generator for their home, or if a citizen purchases a hybrid or clean vehicle, the government will refund 20% of the cost.

C. Any business that purchases a clean or renewable individual small generator for their business or if a business purchases a hybrid or clean vehicle, the government will refund 15% of the cost.

Siege

I think this may be it.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #64 on: December 04, 2004, 05:53:17 PM »

Definitions:

Sections

1. Regional Planning

3. Back-up

4. Citizen Power

Siege

I think this may be it.

See Siege40's latest comments, he said he would get right on changing something, I wasn't sure if he had done that or not.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #65 on: December 04, 2004, 05:58:58 PM »

Clean coal technology is the holdup it seems.
StevenNick
StevenNick99

« Reply #66 on: December 04, 2004, 06:03:15 PM »

I'd like to point out that this proposed bill is entirely unconstitutional as the federal government does not have the right to force the regions to take any course of action whatsoever.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #67 on: December 04, 2004, 06:07:08 PM »

I'd like to point out that this proposed bill is entirely unconstitutional as the federal government does not have the right to force the regions to take any course of action whatsoever.
Well then we will give the supreme court something to do! Tongue
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #68 on: December 04, 2004, 06:16:30 PM »

If a Region doesn't do what the Federal government wants it to do, then all the Act does is mandate that a certain Federal action will occur.  It's the same principle that has been used for setting the .08 BAL, the 55 mph speed limit, seat belt laws, etc.  The phrasing could probably use some improvement, but as far as I can tell, it would pass constitutional muster at least as far as any concerns about Regional rights might affect its Constitutionality, as it is all carrot and no stick.  In fact, I've prepared several Initiatives to present to the Southeast should this Act become law, and they are all worded so that if the promised carrot isn't presented, then certain provisions in them don't come into force.
Siege40

Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: December 05, 2004, 04:06:31 PM »

Clean Energy Act of Dec. 4 2004 - Draft 5

Definitions:

Sections

1. Regional Planning

3. Back-up

4. Citizen Power

5. Clean Coal

A. The Federal Government will invest 100 million dollars over 5 years into the research, and development of clean or cleaner coal technology.

Sorry I took so long. Hectic week. This should be it, and the vote should be good to go. This bill keep in mind is to encourage better energy production, and not the total elimination of polluting energies, just the reduction.

Siege

StevenNick
StevenNick99

« Reply #70 on: December 05, 2004, 07:55:12 PM »

Nay.
Siege40

Political Matrix

« Reply #71 on: December 06, 2004, 03:35:06 PM »

I didn't know voting had opened, hmm, when in Rome.

Yay.

Siege
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #72 on: December 06, 2004, 03:51:54 PM »

5. Clean Coal

A. The Federal Government will invest 100 million dollars over 5 years into the research, and development of clean or cleaner coal technology.

Thank you, Senator.
Siege40

Political Matrix

« Reply #73 on: December 06, 2004, 10:55:31 PM »

5. Clean Coal

Thank you, Senator.

No problemo.

Siege
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #74 on: December 07, 2004, 04:09:15 PM »

Well, with two votes already in I declare the voting open.

All Senators please vote yea, nay or abstain.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies