Post interesting results (biggest victories, milestones, etc)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 09:13:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Post interesting results (biggest victories, milestones, etc)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Post interesting results (biggest victories, milestones, etc)  (Read 5251 times)
Linus Van Pelt

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2010, 02:17:23 PM »

One January 4, 2011, you can drive:

1.  Across Pennsylvania on I-80 and never enter a Democratic district.

Given that the I-80 runs an almost entirely rural course across the north-central part of the state, this actually wouldn't be all that interesting even if it were true, which it isn't, since Jason Altmire is still with us.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2010, 02:23:00 PM »

Wally Herger, the Republican in CA-02, won with 57%. He got 58% in 2008. That can't be good news for him.

I noticed that too. Don't know what caused it (maybe the Democrat was popular in Butte County or something), but there is plenty of Republican territory around him. He shouldn't be too impacted by redistricting. CA-3 on the other hand.....

Whitman didn't do much better than Herger's percentage in CA-02 it looks like. She had a larger margin over Brown there than Herger did over his opponent, only because the bulk of the third party vote in the governor's race went to the Dem in CA-02.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2010, 02:28:20 PM »

In PA, the way Lackawanna has held up for the Dems in contrast to the southwestern counties is kind of interesting.
...though I notice Joe Sestak won Greene County, which is more than can be said of Barack Obama.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Yeah, that is hilarious.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2010, 02:47:17 PM »

In PA, the way Lackawanna has held up for the Dems in contrast to the southwestern counties is kind of interesting.
...though I notice Joe Sestak won Greene County, which is more than can be said of Barack Obama.

Yeah, that is hilarious.

Critically, Niagara County took out a Dem State senator in a huge upset, turning control of the body back to the GOP.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2010, 03:20:30 PM »

In the long run, quite probably so. Smiley With the usual pattern of presidential races being slightly earlier than downballot.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2010, 03:55:30 PM »

The only non-coastal states to have a majority Democratic House delegation are NM, IA, and VT.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2010, 05:51:58 PM »

It's called the "Southwest Swing."  Wink

Barely, by 2 votes. More impressive is that Toomey won Fayette County, and Corbett won EVERY county in South Western Pennsylvania including Allegheny.

The Western PA realignment is real. The GOP margins in Westmoreland were nothing short of astounding, and they continued all the way down to the local races.

Further, there is no way to blame this on "eeeevviiiiillllll White racists" as was done after 2008. Instead, this is merely a continuation of what started back in 2000.

2000: Westmoreland Flipped.
2004: Greene and Lawrence Flipped
2008: Fayette, Washington, and Beaver flipped (and Cambria barely held out.)
2010 and beyond: Realignment is complete.

I think the interesting thing is that Toomey carried the Southwest overall (The "southwest" being any county bordering Allegheny, Beaver, and Washington counties).
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2010, 06:56:06 PM »

Who is the youngest person elected this year? Anyone born in 1980s?

Adam Kinzinger in IL-11 is 32. I think he's probably the youngest.
Nichlemn

« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2010, 09:08:48 PM »

Given that the I-80 runs an almost entirely rural course across the north-central part of the state, this actually wouldn't be all that interesting even if it were true, which it isn't, since Jason Altmire is still with us.

If either Altimire or Critz had lost (both won by slim margins), there would be 12-13 (depending on NY-25) contiguous districts across OH, PA, WV and NY that were Republican pick-ups.
Nichlemn

« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2010, 09:09:53 PM »

Who is the youngest person elected this year? Anyone born in 1980s?

Adam Kinzinger in IL-11 is 32. I think he's probably the youngest.

So Aaron Schock remains the Baby of the House?
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2010, 09:31:02 PM »

Yeah, Amash wins. More of the 30-something club:

Sean Duffy, Frank Guinta, Jeff Landry - 39
Kristi Noem, Tom Reed, Todd Young - 38
Stephen Fincher, Cedric Richmond - 37
Cory Gardner, Jon Runyan - 36
Kevin Yoder - 34

And here are the old-timers:

Quico Canseco, Daniel Webster - 61
Mike Kelly, Dennis Ross - 62
David McKiney - 63
Scott DesJarlais - 64
Frederica Wilson - 68 (!) - I think this may be a record for a freshman; I'm pretty sure Diane Watson, at 67, was previously the oldest newly-minted congressperson.
Nichlemn

« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2010, 08:56:48 PM »

Frederica Wilson - 68 (!) - I think this may be a record for a freshman; I'm pretty sure Diane Watson, at 67, was previously the oldest newly-minted congressperson.

I believe that honour goes to George W. Crockett, Jr. who was 71 when first elected.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2010, 12:42:50 AM »

Yeah, that is hilarious.

Critically, Niagara County took out a Dem State senator in a huge upset, turning control of the body back to the GOP.

Dave's Niagara County numbers are wrong. According to the NY Times, Gillibrand won it 55-43.
Guderian

« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2010, 06:53:38 AM »

I think Schock is still the youngest.   Justin Amash is 30, Jaime Herrera is 32 , and Martha Roby is 34. 

Amash is also the first Palestinian-American in Congress (he's a Christian, though). His father grew up in a refugee camp. Amash seems to be a Ron Paul Republican (not surprisingly, some might say). Can't believe this guy flew under my radar.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2010, 09:07:34 AM »

I think Schock is still the youngest.   Justin Amash is 30, Jaime Herrera is 32 , and Martha Roby is 34. 

Amash is also the first Palestinian-American in Congress (he's a Christian, though). His father grew up in a refugee camp. Amash seems to be a Ron Paul Republican (not surprisingly, some might say). Can't believe this guy flew under my radar.

Wasn't Sununu Palestinian-American, by way of Lebanon?
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2010, 09:11:16 AM »

I believe that honour goes to George W. Crockett, Jr. who was 71 when first elected.

Ah, thanks. I've been wondering for a while now whether someone beat Watson.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2010, 12:13:58 PM »

Yep.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2010, 02:47:57 PM »

Senate results by region:

Northeast (CT, DE, MD, NH, NY, NY(sp), PA, VT)
40.12%R – 58.46%D – 1.42%I/O

Southeast (AL, AR, GA, FL, LA, NC, OK, SC)
56.36% - 31.32%D – 12.31%I/O

Midwest (IA, IL, IN, KS, KY, MO, ND, OH, SD*, WI, WV)
52.74%R – 43.55%D – 3.71%I/O

Mountain West (AZ, CO, ID, NV, UT)
54.30%R – 40.21%D – 5.49%I/O

Pacific (AK, CA, HI, OR, WA**)
43.61% - 52.66%D – 3.73%I/O

* Took the sum of the House results and gave them to Thune
** 90% are in, so I multiplied each total by 10/9
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2010, 03:50:05 PM »

I didn't see that slight enclave in Mercer.  However, this is possibly the furthest you could go on I-80 since at least 1984.
Nichlemn

« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2010, 03:54:49 AM »

Single party congressional delegations (that is, both House and Senate):

Republicans turned ID, KS all Republican. Democrats gained DE, HA. Democrats retain a 6-3 edge in single party delegations (counting Lieberman and Sanders as Dems), with CT, MA, RI, VT, DE, HA versus ID, KS, WY for GOP.

It seems unusual as smaller states are most likely to have one party Congressional delegations and smaller states tend to be Republican. However, this is mostly a function of Democratic Senators from small Republican-leaning states who might not have survived had they been up for re-election this year.

If we go House only, it's tied at 7-7 (GOP adding MT, ND, SD, NE and Democrats adding ME).
Guderian

« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2010, 05:03:12 AM »

Yep.

Sununus left Middle East before the endonym "Palestinian" became widespread, though.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2010, 10:16:57 PM »

Single party congressional delegations (that is, both House and Senate):

Republicans turned ID, KS all Republican. Democrats gained DE, HA. Democrats retain a 5-3 edge in single party delegations (counting Lieberman and Sanders as Dems), with CT, MA, RI, VT, DE, HA versus ID, KS, WY for GOP.

It seems unusual as smaller states are most likely to have one party Congressional delegations and smaller states tend to be Republican. However, this is mostly a function of Democratic Senators from small Republican-leaning states who might not have survived had they been up for re-election this year.

If we go House only, it's tied at 7-7 (GOP adding MT, ND, SD, NE and Democrats adding ME and MA).
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies