Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear live link
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 06:22:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear live link
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear live link  (Read 2035 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 30, 2010, 11:10:03 AM »

link

Currently a band is playing....some dude is rocking out with a giant tuba.  I recognize the drummer from a Chappelle Show bit.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 12:14:05 PM »

Father Guido!
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 12:51:57 PM »

Wow...ABC, CBS, The New York Times and ....wait for it....NPR barred their reporters from reporting on the rally.  It's not news if they can't find a guy with an M16 or screaming black man.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 01:07:11 PM »

Mick Foley!
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 01:08:35 PM »

Just left.  Some interesting people (including one douche holding up a lemonparty.org sign).  Got even more proof that rallies aren't my thing.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 01:15:33 PM »

I'm pleasantly surprised at how non-partisan this is. I sort of figured it would somehow endorse Democrats or the left and/or be anti-Tea Party. Not so. In fact, it's almost apolitical.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 01:47:34 PM »
« Edited: October 30, 2010, 01:53:41 PM by The Right Honourable Director of Halifax, Lt. Gov The Doctor »

I'm pleasantly surprised at how non-partisan this is. I sort of figured it would somehow endorse Democrats or the left and/or be anti-Tea Party. Not so. In fact, it's almost apolitical.

That's probably the best part about it.Smiley

This is probably the living ideal of one, true, united nation.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2010, 01:55:18 PM »

Yeah, Jon isn't as "left leaning" as popular wisdom tells us he is.  He may pound on the right more, but he certainly hits the left a lot too.  Especially now that they have been in power and have failed at it (again).
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2010, 01:57:34 PM »

Jon is more or less pro-common sense.  The Dems could learn a thing or two from him.
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2010, 01:59:41 PM »

So did more people show up than at Glenn Beck's?
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2010, 02:00:29 PM »

Though, it was a bit corny at the end there Tongue
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2010, 02:02:12 PM »

To make a forum analogy, it was a rally against excessive hyperbole!
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2010, 02:03:04 PM »

Though, it was a bit corny at the end there Tongue

Lol, I know.  But it is true...this rally wasn't about left or right, good or evil.  It was about "restoring sanity" and realizing that this nation is not as divided and we're not as bad off as people constantly sensationalize we are.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2010, 02:07:04 PM »

Lol, I know.  But it is true...this rally wasn't about left or right, good or evil.  It was about "restoring sanity" and realizing that this nation is not as divided and we're not as bad off as people constantly sensationalize we are.
Correct.  The things right with America are more powerful than the things wrong with America.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2010, 02:37:42 PM »

Wow...ABC, CBS, The New York Times and ....wait for it....NPR barred their reporters from reporting on the rally.  It's not news if they can't find a guy with an M16 or screaming black man.

I think a lot of people were expecting, as the propaganda on the far right suggested, that this was going to be a far left rally and, like typical limp wrists, ABC, CBS, NYT, and NPR didn't want to seem like left wing media by covering it.  However, they are already labeled left wing media regardless of what they do by the far right so this only comes off as discouraging to people who appreciate journalism and the left itself.

You know, traditional Democratic tactic of alienating the base to go after the support of people who would never vote for you except with major dying media outlets.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2010, 02:54:46 PM »

I think a lot of people were expecting, as the propaganda on the far right suggested, that this was going to be a far left rally and, like typical limp wrists, ABC, CBS, NYT, and NPR didn't want to seem like left wing media by covering it.

In fairness, the Democrats interpreted it that way too.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2010, 02:55:49 PM »

I think a lot of people were expecting, as the propaganda on the far right suggested, that this was going to be a far left rally and, like typical limp wrists, ABC, CBS, NYT, and NPR didn't want to seem like left wing media by covering it.

In fairness, the Democrats interpreted it that way too.

I think it was only because a lot of people were comparing it to Glenn Beck's rally.
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2010, 04:44:15 PM »

Sanity will be restored in 2012
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2010, 07:02:59 PM »

Ah.... ha...

But on topic... and reality.

This really was fantastic, it showed how the best of America can counter the toxic political environment that exists. The thing is, were it not for a few raging nut-bags on both sides, life would be so much easier.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2010, 08:23:22 PM »

I wish I could've gone, and now I wish I'd found this thread earlier today.
Capitan Zapp Brannigan
Addicted to Politics

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2010, 10:13:54 PM »

I heard an estimate of 215,000 by CBS.

That's a lot of people.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2010, 12:22:39 AM »

It crushed the Beck rally in terms of attendance, supposedly. That rally was covered incessantly by MSM, so what gives? How is this any less serious than that?

I know people who went but I had to work today.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2010, 01:46:11 AM »

Yeah, Jon isn't as "left leaning" as popular wisdom tells us he is.  He may pound on the right more, but he certainly hits the left a lot too.  Especially now that they have been in power and have failed at it (again).

I think that this is more a function of his being left of the Democratic Party than anything.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2010, 06:07:55 AM »

With the whole anti polarization thang, picking up where Obama left off in 2008. Badly needed IMO.
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2010, 01:50:08 PM »
« Edited: October 31, 2010, 01:52:44 PM by Mitt Romney's Hair »

It was a bunch of college students who wanted to be entertained for free. It was pointless. Also, Stewart is immersed in irony. He criticizes media, especially Fox News, for taking things out of context but then he himself takes snippets out of context too. So essentially, he is part of the problem that he mocks!

Also, this was clearly a liberal rally, and was clearly a direct counter to Beck. To deny this is absurd. Regardless, he still exacerbates the problem by enforcing the wedge that exists - here be sanity, there (Tea Partiers, etc) be an insane asylum. Hardly unity, is it? And who is he to judge what's sane and what's not? That's beyond pretentious and self-righteous.

It's kind of like Live 8 was in 2005 - It proclaims to have an underlying message, and people may support that message, but the message is lost in the day's free event, and the following day everyone goes back to normal life and forgets about it completely. Utterly useless.

Stewart likes to think he is smarter and more powerful than he really is.

I'm currently in DC and I refused to go. I'm more angry about the tourists who jam pack the already horrible metro and refuse to obey the 'stand right, walk left' on the escalators.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies