Why has there never been an Italian-American President?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 01:24:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why has there never been an Italian-American President?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Why has there never been an Italian-American President?  (Read 36997 times)
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2013, 07:37:42 AM »

The Roosevelts were Dutch. Don't think any of the others, though the Democrats have nominated two Norwegians.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2013, 07:55:43 AM »

Thanks.

You'd think there would have been a French or French-Canadian president by now.

(I was wrong about Van Buren, he wasn't French)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2013, 08:20:28 AM »

Indeed he wasn't; he was Dutch. Pure Dutch unlike the Roosevelts who are just Dutch in the male line. Not to mention, the only American president whose mother tongue wasn't English.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2013, 10:09:06 AM »

For God's sake, Van Buren... Van Buren!!! how in the flying hell can someone think he was French?!?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2013, 10:56:59 AM »

Has there ever been a French-Canadian president? Or even a French president?

Or Portuguese?

Or Dutch?

Or Scandinavian?

Or Eastern-European (like from Russia, Poland, Romania, Bulgaria, Serbia, Albania, Greece, etc.)?

Dutch is easy one. Martin Van Buren, Theodore and Franklin Roosevelt.

Greek? No, the closest a Greek-American came to the Presidency was with Spiro Agnew (as Vice President) and Michael Dukakis (as presidential nominee).

Polish? No, the closest was Edmund Muskie (as vice presidential nominee and a major candidate for presidential nominatioon.

Scandinavian? No, the closest were Hubert Humphrey and Walter Mondale, as Vice Presidents and presidential nominees.

Russian, Romanian, Bulgarian, Albanian? I'm positive that no.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2013, 12:03:14 PM »

Given the motley lineage of most Americans whose families have been here at least a couple of generations, I don't think pigeonholing people by their last names is helpful. You can be a Smith or a McDonald and still be entitled to call yourself Italian-American because of maternal descent.

There are plenty of Americans who can claim Italian ancestry who wouldn't be considered "Italian American" by the public because they don't fit the stereotype of what that requires (being from a Northeastern state, having a last name that ends in a vowel, having olive skin and dark hair).
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2013, 12:17:17 PM »

(being from a Northeastern state, having a last name that ends in a vowel, having olive skin and dark hair).
So you're saying, the only reasons some people are aware that Christie's mother is Italian is because he fits that description? If his father's English surname were Jones rather than Christie we wouldn't be aware of it?
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2013, 12:34:47 PM »

Oh, and I think the Sinema name is Dutch. Not that there aren't quite a few Mormon Italians in the West as well, just ask Mike Crap.

Mormons are mostly of English descent, but yeah, Mormons are fairly diverse in ancestry, at least in European terms. It helps that we're obsessive over genealogy. I'm of mostly German descent, but I have an English and a French-Canadian line. In fact, my French-Canadian line played a large role in the Lower Canada Rebellion.

Though I do have to say that with internationalization, Mormons are becoming much more diverse these days; for instance, we've got a ridiculously large Polynesian population. A fourth of American Samoa is Mormon, for example, and 17% of Tonga is the same.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2013, 12:50:16 PM »

Berlusconi ruined it for the next 100 years now......  Tongue
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2013, 12:54:00 PM »

(being from a Northeastern state, having a last name that ends in a vowel, having olive skin and dark hair).
So you're saying, the only reasons some people are aware that Christie's mother is Italian is because he fits that description? If his father's English surname were Jones rather than Christie we wouldn't be aware of it?

I'm saying that if his last name were Jones and if he had a more, shall we say, Anglo-Saxon rather than Lombard, appearance, and if he were the governor of a state like Indiana or Oregon, people wouldn't think of him as Italian-American. People outside of forums like this don't heavily research politicians' backgrounds. They make inferences based on what they see.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2013, 02:43:21 PM »

I'm saying that if his last name were Jones and if he had a more, shall we say, Anglo-Saxon rather than Lombard, appearance, and if he were the governor of a state like Indiana or Oregon, people wouldn't think of him as Italian-American. People outside of forums like this don't heavily research politicians' backgrounds. They make inferences based on what they see.
That reminds me of when people in South Carolina were surprised that Nikki Haley was Indian, AFTER she was elected. Just thought she had a tan Tongue
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2013, 03:00:54 PM »

Because most Italian politicians have mob connections and/or are terribly corrupt.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2013, 03:04:17 PM »

Because most Italian politicians have mob connections and/or are terribly corrupt.

I was going to say 'for very good reasons', the above is more to the point.  people are understandably wary of placing Don Corleone into the white house.  you think the post office is inefficient now?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2013, 03:05:02 PM »

I was going to say 'for very good reasons', the above is more to the point.  people are understandably wary of placing Don Corleone into the white house.  you think the post office is inefficient now?

Phil will be by in 3,2,1.......
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2013, 03:26:02 PM »

Evidence?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2013, 04:29:54 PM »

We will end this in 2016 but let us not forget the Italian-American trailblazer in 2012 that put a million cracks in that ethnic glass ceiling. Thank you again, Rick!

But people like Lief are just a perfect example of the hatred and persecution with which we deal every day. It's a sad but very real reality.

For God's sake, Van Buren... Van Buren!!! how in the flying hell can someone think he was French?!?

People are dumbs, you see.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2013, 04:37:06 PM »

Phil will be by in 3,2,1.......

Not only Phil. I'd also like to see some evidence before resorting to cheap ethnic stereotyping.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2013, 04:49:18 PM »

Antonio, despite your treasonous ways, you have every right to feel some anger when you see Lief's hateful comments but don't take it too seriously. He, like many, many others, is incredibly jealous of our ancestral homeland and heritage. Could you blame him?

I am very fond of the English. I enjoyed my trip there a year ago. However, I can't help to notice their poorly veiled condescending tone and condemning attitude whenever they write about Italians on any topic at all. But then it hits me and a smirk creeps across my face. I think, "Look at where they are forced to live. Look at what they have to eat. I'd be extrenely bitter towards and jealous of Italians if I was one of them and forced to compare the two worlds, too!" You have to feel very, very sorry for these people, Antonio. You're still young. One day, you'll learn.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2013, 05:01:41 PM »

Evidence?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sopranos
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2013, 05:20:04 PM »

Fully recognizing that this isn't a serious post, I'll respond anyway for anyone that might be wondering: the only politician I remember from the series was a Jewish Assemblyman named "Zellman." Never struck me as ethnically Italian.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2013, 06:07:37 PM »

Antonio, despite your treasonous ways, you have every right to feel some anger when you see Lief's hateful comments but don't take it too seriously. He, like many, many others, is incredibly jealous of our ancestral homeland and heritage. Could you blame him?

I am very fond of the English. I enjoyed my trip there a year ago. However, I can't help to notice their poorly veiled condescending tone and condemning attitude whenever they write about Italians on any topic at all. But then it hits me and a smirk creeps across my face. I think, "Look at where they are forced to live. Look at what they have to eat. I'd be extrenely bitter towards and jealous of Italians if I was one of them and forced to compare the two worlds, too!" You have to feel very, very sorry for these people, Antonio. You're still young. One day, you'll learn.

Very good point. Wink
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2013, 06:50:14 PM »
« Edited: January 03, 2013, 06:51:52 PM by Snowguy716 »

For some reason i thought Lief was Persian.  I wonder if he has a smooshed up nose like the kittehs.
Persian kittehs are the best kittehs.

I, of course, feel we need Scandinavian presidents.

If your last name doesn't end with "son", "sen", "dahl", "quist", "gren", "val", "lund", or "stad"... you shouldn't be president. 

Because if we did, instead of worrying about unfunded wars and fiscal cliffs, we'd be lamenting the lack of pickled beets, cottage cheese, and pickled herring at the salad bar. (Because everybody already ate them all up, of course)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2013, 06:57:34 PM »

Lief is Persian and German.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2013, 08:10:09 PM »

My first non-troll post of the thread: I think Iran's culture, food and environment compares very favorably to Italy's. No reason to be jealous.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2013, 08:46:46 PM »

Disturbingly many Americans don't know much about other countries. Van Buren is an absurdly obvious Dutch name, but most people won't realize it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies