US House Redistricting: General

<< < (2/42) > >>

muon2:
Quote from: your imaginary friend whose posts happen to be visible on November 06, 2010, 02:52:09 PM

A state-by-state overview of redistricting rules and partisan control would be super-duper-cool.

I'm working on that. I hope to create an easy to follow tool for that information.

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자):
Quote from: return of the Slightly Cross Brigade on November 06, 2010, 02:52:09 PM

A state-by-state overview of redistricting rules and partisan control would be super-duper-cool.

Rules?  There are rules for redistricting?

The only thing that South Carolina law requires is that the General Assembly must redistrict its Congressional delegation after a census.  What laws we had concerning dividing up the General Assembly after a new Census got thrown out in the 1960's (1 Senator per county, Representatives apportioned to the counties using the Hare quota) except that the size of our State Senate is still set as equal to the number of counties and the State House of Representatives is fixed at 124 Representatives in our constitution.

minionofmidas:
In some states, there are rules. In other states, there are no rules.

Torie:
Here is Sean Trende's crystal ball on how he thinks redistricting will play out. I don't think he understands the lacuna of state laws well enough however. For example, he chats about doing away with Peters' district, MI-9, and that will be hard to do, because CD's in Michigan can't cross county lines, if there is a way to avoid that that comports with federal law. At least that is my understanding from the 2001 redistricting, and I assume the Michigan law has not changed. So it will be hard to push Oakland and Macomb County Democrats into the black Wayne County CD's. Plus, the Gross Pointe towns, which are GOP, and in Wayne County, will still have to be "trapped" in a black CD.

And if Minnesota loses a seat (Sean seems to think it is still ahead by a nose over Missouri as to which state loses a seat, although I have read on this Forum the opposite), I strongly suspect that what will happen is that the courts will combine MN-7 and MN-8 into one district, and the new Pubbie in MN-8 will go by-by, losing to Peterson who represents MN-7.

JohnnyLongtorso:
MI-11 and MI-12 cross county lines despite the fact that both could be confined to one county.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page