Jewish Vote in 2030
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:47:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Jewish Vote in 2030
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: How will the Jewish vote be split in 2030?
50-50

60-40 Dem

70-30 Dem

80-20 Dem

Republican by any margin

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 60

Author Topic: Jewish Vote in 2030  (Read 10351 times)
LesterMaddox
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2004, 12:44:47 AM »

99% for Nicolai Carpathia? (Assuming the world ends in 2037 of course.)
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2004, 12:04:32 PM »

Pretty well, thanks! I've got Advanced Intermediate Hebrew, Basic Yiddish, Music of the Jewish People, a writing-intensive seminar on medieval Spain (or al-Andalus or Spharad, depending on who you're talking to), and Politics 101A- Political Parties, Interest Groups, and Public Opinion (a class of 21; I am one of two Republicans. The other was the campaign manager for a local GOP candidate for the state legislature, Bob Finneran; he lost). Personally, I love the university, both the academics and more especially the people; still no girlfriend, though. Ooh, and I just played in my first snow this weekend! This stuff is fantastic!!! Howd you keep it secret for so long?

You know what sucks?  We barely have any snow on the ground.  Just a few thin patches.  There's supposed to be 2-5" on the ground right now... but noooooo....

(That's not to say I like winter, I just believe if it has to be cold it might as well snow Smiley)
Huckleberry Finn
Finn

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2004, 09:24:10 PM »

26 years from now? It all depends on Israel.
Israel won't be necessarily the issue in 2030. It's fairly possible that the conflict will be solved somehow before that.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2004, 09:31:18 PM »

26 years from now? It all depends on Israel.
Israel won't be necessarily the issue in 2030. It's fairly possible that the conflict will be solved somehow before that.

And Michael Moore will be a frequent visitor and friend at the Crawford Ranch as well.
Hitchabrut
republicanjew18

Political Matrix
E: 8.38, S: 7.49

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2004, 03:31:26 PM »

Speaking of Moore, many of my fellow Jewish friends have seen Fahrenheit 911 and called Moore a "hero." After hearing about his involvement in many pro-Palestnian rallies, I have concluded that many ultraliberal Jews really don't care about Israel at all anymore and would rather save the rainforest and crusade for civil liberties.
Cashcow

« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2004, 05:12:21 PM »
« Edited: December 08, 2004, 05:37:25 PM by Cashcow »

Here's a question: Do YOU care about Syria, Lebanon, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, or Turkey? Of course you don't. You couldn't care less. Fortunately, though, American Jews are finally beginning to realize that we are not Israelis, we are Americans.

Congratulations. I, for one, am proud to be in the 80% of Jews that cares enough about my own country to not vote based solely on Israel.

(and no, I don't support the Palestinians)
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2004, 04:28:23 PM »

There are 5.5 million Jews in the US, only about 51% are actual practicing Jews. The rest are athiest/agnostic or aligned with a whole different religion altogether.

That only leaves at max 2.8 million folks to pickup for the Israel issue.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2004, 11:56:05 AM »

1 word, IrishDemocrat, Communism. It's the effect of being oppressed by a far-left government turning Russian Jews to vote as differently from Communist ideals as possible. The same dynamic occured with Jews who came in in the early 1900's, except reversed. They fled fascism and authoritarian ditatorships and voted as far left as possible.

Makes sense.  Now I know why older Jews were so far left.  Then again, ethnic voting blocs are nearly becoming irrelevant.  Just look at Irish Catholics.  Quite honestly one of the most, if not the most split voting bloc in America.  Some follow the church to the letter and others could care less, like me!
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2004, 11:59:08 AM »

Here's a question: Do YOU care about Syria, Lebanon, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, or Turkey? Of course you don't. You couldn't care less. Fortunately, though, American Jews are finally beginning to realize that we are not Israelis, we are Americans.

Congratulations. I, for one, am proud to be in the 80% of Jews that cares enough about my own country to not vote based solely on Israel.

Right on, Cashcow! I am proud to be in the 80% as well.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2004, 12:31:54 PM »

Irish Catholics USED to be an 80% bloc for Kennedy.  Damn church duping it's members via "voters guides."
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2004, 12:33:50 PM »

Irish Catholics USED to be an 80% bloc for Kennedy.  Damn church duping it's members via "voters guides."

I'm proud to say my temple did not tell me how to vote one way or the other Smiley Although there is that Committee Chairman who looks exactly like Bob Ehrlich....

My temple has a female lesbian has the rabbi, I don't think they exactly want us voting on fundamental religous values.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2004, 12:38:23 PM »

Damn church duping it's members via "voters guides."

Yeah how DARE the Church express it's views. I never hear you complain about Protestant churches allowing candidates (mostly Democrats) to speak, BL...
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2004, 12:41:59 PM »

I'm proud to say my temple did not tell me how to vote one way or the other Smiley Although there is that Committee Chairman who looks exactly like Bob Ehrlich....

My temple has a female lesbian has the rabbi, I don't think they exactly want us voting on fundamental religous values.

It seems like your church cares about what its members think.  Funny, Allyson Schwartz, the lone woman in my signature, is active at her synagogue.  We had voters guides shoved down our throats coming out of Mass that heavily favored the GOP.  We also have "Generation Life" getting 15 minutes at the end of Mass as well not only making Mass longer, but shoving down stuff I don't care to listen to.  

I'm not saying I'm getting Bar Mitzvahed, but I wish the Catholic church would be more open minded about stuff.  It's really ashame the Catholic church is quietly turning a lot of people off, including myself.  
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2004, 12:43:25 PM »

It seems like your church cares about what its members think.  Funny, Allyson Schwartz, the lone woman in my signature, is active at her synagogue.  We had voters guides shoved down our throats coming out of Mass that heavily favored the GOP.  We also have "Generation Life" getting 15 minutes at the end of Mass as well not only making Mass longer, but shoving down stuff I don't care to listen to.  

Is it anyone's fault that the Church's view is similar to the GOP view on most issues? Do you want the Church to forget what it believes just to help Dems?

And if you don't care to listen to what the Church believes, I'm sorry but maybe you should leave.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2004, 12:43:53 PM »

Yeah how DARE the Church express it's views. I never hear you complain about Protestant churches allowing candidates (mostly Democrats) to speak, BL...

No, I have a probelm with them highliting the Santoomey Doctrine and telling its more liberal members they should be denied Holy Communion.  You know the Catholic church should be taking some hints here.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2004, 12:45:08 PM »

No, I have a probelm with them highliting the Santoomey Doctrine and telling its more liberal members they should be denied Holy Communion.  You know the Catholic church should be taking some hints here.

What Santorum and Toomey believe happens to be what the Church believes. Don't like it? Too bad.

As for denying liberals Communion, I want you to know that I am opposed to such an idea.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2004, 12:48:29 PM »

And if you don't care to listen to what the Church believes, I'm sorry but maybe you should leave.

Believe me I'm thinking heavily about it.  My parents are making that thought very difficult though.  Then again, I'm glad pro-choice Catholics are standing up to the conservatives, so I may not go anywhere on my own regardless of my parents.  I generally believe what the church says on a lot of issues.  There are certain ones I will dispute though.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2004, 12:50:28 PM »

Believe me I'm thinking heavily about it.  My parents are making that thought very difficult though.  Then again, I'm glad pro-choice Catholics are standing up to the conservatives, so I may not go anywhere on my own regardless of my parents.  I generally believe what the church says on a lot of issues.  There are certain ones I will dispute though.

Please answer my question about Democratic candidates going to Protestant churches, campaigning for votes from the pulpit. Do you think that is wrong?
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2004, 12:51:15 PM »

I'm not saying I'm getting Bar Mitzvahed, but I wish the Catholic church would be more open minded about stuff.  It's really ashame the Catholic church is quietly turning a lot of people off, including myself.  

In all conversations with people at my temple, politics has never come up. No one passed out flyers saying "vote Joe" in January 2004. All the leaders always give boring talks about being inclusive to everyone, so naturally they don't mention politics, because politics is naturally exclusive.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2004, 12:52:16 PM »

Please answer my question about Democratic candidates going to Protestant churches, campaigning for votes from the pulpit. Do you think that is wrong?

I do, although I don't think Kerry was going after swing voters when he went in there. Getting voters to vote against their interests based on religion is worse than having a politician speak at a church.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2004, 12:55:11 PM »

Absolutely.  Sharpton and Co. go too far as well.  IRC Code 501(c)(3) applies to everyone and they should be questioned.  These "voters guides" do not technically violate these rules, but come VERY close to endorsing the Republican party.  Here's what's funny about it:  VOTING MELISSA BROWN WOULD BE WRONG AS WELL!

No AKno, they don't say "vote Joe", but the language heavily favors the Santoomeys and Bushies.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2004, 12:55:34 PM »

I do, although I don't think Kerry was going after swing voters when he went in there. Getting voters to vote against their interests based on religion is worse than having a politician speak at a church.

What don't you get? When someone bases their vote on their religious belief, it is in their interest.

And what does it matter if Kerry wasn't going after swing voters? It's still using the Church to get votes. The Catholic Church would never allow a candidate to get up on the altar and give a campaign speech, even if it was for a candidate they agreed with 100%. And if that was to ever happen for whatever reason, I would oppose it. I find no problem with the Church saying "We believe in this as Catholics and so we should vote this way." It's totally different when a candidate gets up and starts giving his stump speech.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2004, 12:57:50 PM »

Absolutely.  Sharpton and Co. go too far as well.  IRC Code 501(c)(3) applies to everyone and they should be questioned.  These "voters guides" do not technically violate these rules, but come VERY close to endorsing the Republican party.  Here's what's funny about it:  VOTING MELISSA BROWN WOULD BE WRONG AS WELL!

No AKno, they don't say "vote Joe", but the language heavily favors the Santoomeys and Bushies.

The language favors Santoomeys and Bushies because they agree with what the Church believes.

As for "Voting Melissa Brown would be wrong as well." That's not true at all. The Church does not favor this type of situation but if the two major candidates disagree with the Church's view on issue whatever, the Church says that members should think of the major candidate that stands closest to what we, as Catholics, believe.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2004, 12:58:13 PM »

Here's the link:

http://www.catholic.com/library/voters_guide.asp

Now tell me this isn't biased.  This crap was actually in print and dished out after Mass in many places.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2004, 12:58:58 PM »

What don't you get? When someone bases their vote on their religious belief, it is in their interest.

And what does it matter if Kerry wasn't going after swing voters? It's still using the Church to get votes. The Catholic Church would never allow a candidate to get up on the altar and give a campaign speech, even if it was for a candidate they agreed with 100%. And if that was to ever happen for whatever reason, I would oppose it. I find no problem with the Church saying "We believe in this as Catholics and so we should vote this way." It's totally different when a candidate gets up and starts giving his stump speech.

If I were a swing voter, I'd be more impressed with a candidate if someone spent time telling me about the issues than I would listening to a stump speech. I am not defending Kerry's actions.

Basically, there were cases of unemployed people planning to vote Kerry based on economics and foriegn policy, and then the church dragged them into a back room and showed them anti-abortion propaganda. They voted Bush.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies