What's Going On In PA?!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 12, 2024, 01:26:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  What's Going On In PA?!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: What's Going On In PA?!  (Read 4557 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2010, 04:39:15 PM »

I will be awake at 6:30 AM. But unfortunately I will also be in class.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2010, 05:43:36 PM »

...we better be awake at 6:30 AM Eastern. That's when they'll release their numbers on the Senate race.

As close as this one is getting, the networks might not call it before then.
What? Either I'm crazy, or your crazy, because that doesn't make any sense. Are you talking about election night results? Because I think Phil was talking about a poll coming out tomorrow.

This shouldn't need to be explained to you.....

The Quinnipiac poll is going to be released at 6:30 am, Gramps was saying that this race will be very close and we will not know the winner on Election Night.  get it?  got it?  good....
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2010, 06:32:19 PM »

I honestly have no idea. The race is too fluid right now.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2010, 06:42:18 PM »

Absentee ballots have a 50-40-8 lead for Republicans. Now of course there is no early voting in PA and you have to have proof that you will be out of your jurisdiction or unable to vote at your polling place in order to get an absentee ballot but those numbers are not rosy.

Unless Sestak comes out with some killer attack ads, his chances of winning this one are slim. It's going to be close, no doubt but I see him having difficulty closing the gap, especially in western PA. I have always been a proponent of PA continuing to be a tossup regardless of the 6-10 point leads Toomey was posting during the summer. Good news for Sestak: DSCC is dropping 3 million more in ads here (correct me if I'm wrong), and he's been getting loads of fundraising from the netroots. He got almost 100k from DailyKos users alone in a 1 to 2 week span. Sestak also has bountiful material to attack Toomey with that he hasn't used yet.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2010, 07:08:17 PM »

...we better be awake at 6:30 AM Eastern. That's when they'll release their numbers on the Senate race.

As close as this one is getting, the networks might not call it before then.
What? Either I'm crazy, or your crazy, because that doesn't make any sense. Are you talking about election night results? Because I think Phil was talking about a poll coming out tomorrow.

This shouldn't need to be explained to you.....

The Quinnipiac poll is going to be released at 6:30 am, Gramps was saying that this race will be very close and we will not know the winner on Election Night.  get it?  got it?  good....
It didn't pertain at all to the subject, which was about the release of a poll. I was just clarifying.
xavier110
United States
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2010, 07:28:41 PM »

I remember how skeptical people were here about Sestak's chances in the primary. He knows how to finish well, and if the polls show a low single-digit race by election day, I will have faith in him.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2010, 07:33:00 PM »

Let's see what Quinnipiac says tomorrow.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2010, 07:34:13 PM »

Quinnipiac has been coming out with some of the worst polls since their switch to a LV model.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2010, 07:55:04 PM »

I remember how skeptical people were here about Sestak's chances in the primary. He knows how to finish well, and if the polls show a low single-digit race by election day, I will have faith in him.

True but this is a very different type of race.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2010, 08:43:15 PM »

Sestak 51-48
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2010, 08:45:28 PM »

I don't want 15 million PA threads, so combining has occurred.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2010, 09:22:35 PM »

It's Pennsylvania, thats what. Tongue

Its a state with a lot of Pro-Union Social conservatives in Lehigh, SW, and NE PA, socially liberal and fiscally conservative voters in the SE. The only way for a Republican to win is to win enough of both without alienating too many of either.

Pat Toomey represents something fairly new in statewide PA candidates in that he is a both socially and fiscally conservative but his primary focus and concern is the money issues (Santorum was most concerned about Culture wars and defense). Just like the Tea Party was motivated by national fiscal lapses and ethical problems, Toomey's backers within the PA GOP were very much motivated and energized by the fiscal lapses in the state party and the Pay Raise scandal and hence the ground swell against Specter and the conditions which made Specter winning the primary against Toomey impossible.   

Now we are seeing the industrial rust belt swing to the GOP because of the Recession and in some ways toward fiscal conservatism due to the high deficits and the percieved failures of the stimulus not to mention the bailouts. This helps Toomey a lot in those blue collar areas in Alleghenny and Lackawanna. We have also seen a return to the GOP on some levles of the Philly Burbs just like we saw in LI, NJ, and CT. Going against Toomey is that the state is very vulnerable to populist pitches of shipping jobs overseas and Social Security privatisation hysteria, once overcome, Toomey is a perfect candidate. Strong fundraising, great organization, and extremely successfull at staying on message. Portman really didn't have to overcome his OMB/Trade Rep problems primarily because Fisher is a non-starter. Sestak however has done everything possible to throw whatever he has against Toomey against him. Were Toomey not such a strong candiate he would have little to no chance with his only saving glace being the GOP advantage nationally.

This debate tonight will tell us a lot about whether Toomey can halt Sestak' momentum or whether Sestak continues his momentum.
Dgov
United States

« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2010, 09:27:04 PM »

OUCH.  I could never get up that early.
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2010, 09:31:10 PM »

OUCH.  I could never get up that early.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2010, 09:48:37 PM »

1% for...?
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2010, 10:13:20 PM »

Are Sestak and Toomey the only candidates on the ballot?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2010, 10:16:20 PM »

Are Sestak and Toomey the only candidates on the ballot?

Yep
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2010, 10:20:06 PM »

1% for Jimmy McMillen write-ins!
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2010, 10:20:45 PM »

I was apparently the only one who thought the race would close.

Republicans, when they win statewide, tend to drop in October.  I'd still expect Toomey by 2-4 points.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2010, 10:21:41 PM »

Uh, what?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2010, 10:23:02 PM »

No, you really weren't.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2010, 06:22:44 AM »

Uh, what?

I said it about six weeks ago.  Same thing happened with Santorum in 1994.

I'm surprised it didn't get closer about a fortnight ago.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2010, 06:26:11 AM »

It happened very suddenly about a week or ten days after I stopped holding out for it. Til then though, I certainly expected this one to be close. Two months ago, I would have predicted Sestak to win had you pressed me to. (Not doing that right now.)

True but this is a very different type of race.
Indeed. (Almost) all general elections are a very different type of race from (almost) all primary elections.
Far higher information, far fewer usually swayable voters.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2010, 06:32:34 AM »

Here´s a review of the 1994 elections about 1 week before the elections:

THE 1994 CAMPAIGN: THE SENATE; G.O.P. HOLDING ON IN TIGHT CONTEST TO RULE SENATE

By RICHARD L. BERKE

Published: October 31, 1994

After a tumultuous week of campaigning in which Democrats proclaimed that they were gaining steam, statewide polls published yesterday showed that the fight for control of the Senate was still neck-and-neck.

Indeed, the two Republican Senators whom the Democrats say they have the best chance of picking off -- William V. Roth Jr. of Delaware and Conrad Burns of Montana -- have opened wide leads over their Democratic challengers, according to polls conducted for major newspapers in those two states.

Even more discouraging for Democrats, after weeks of a virtual dead heat in Pennsylvania, Representative Rick Santorum, a Republican, has pulled ahead of the incumbent Democrat, Senator Harris Wofford, in that state's latest poll. The survey of likely voters statewide, conducted for The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette and WTAE-TV, showed that Mr. Santorum had 46 percent and Mr. Wofford 35 percent. The poll has a margin of sampling error of plus or minus five percentage points.

And in Michigan, a poll of likely voters made public on Saturday night by WXYZ-TV found that Spence Abraham, the Republican, has gained over Representative Bob Carr, 46 percent to 34 percent. Another poll last week showed Mr. Carr slightly ahead.

Despite these troubling indicators, Vice President Al Gore was upbeat yesterday about Democratic prospects as he suggested that the party would catch up in the final full week of campaigning.

"I think the wind is at the backs of Democratic candidates now," Mr. Gore said on the ABC News program "This Week," "especially those who have the courage to vote for a change in our economic blueprint."

To drive home that message, President Mr. Clinton will begin a weeklong campaign tour today, beginning with appearances in Philadelphia and Pittsburgh for Mr. Wofford and the Democratic candidate for governor, Mark Singel.

Democratic officials are emphasizing that, after two debates, polls show that Senator Edward M. Kennedy of Massachusetts, who had been considered one of the most endangered incumbents, is now clearly ahead of his Republican challenger, Mitt Romney. Democratic Senate candidates have also gained ground, although not the leads, in Arizona, California, Vermont and Washington.

And as the campaigning has grown more intense in recent days and incumbents have returned home from Washington, there has been some other promising news for Democrats. Mr. Clinton's popularity ratings have risen after his recent foreign policy successes in Haiti and Kuwait as well as his presence at the treaty signing between Israel and Jordan. Democrats are chipping away at the edge held by Republicans in national polls in which people are asked whom they will support for Congress.

In California, Representative Michael Huffington, a Republican, is on the defensive in his effort to unseat Senator Dianne Feinstein over the disclosure that he employed an illegal immigrant as a nanny.

But even with Mr. Kennedy's lead and Mr. Huffington's troubles, several analysts said it would still be very possible -- though certainly not assured -- for Republicans to win the seven seats they need to take control of the Senate. There are now 56 Democrats and 44 Republicans in the Senate. Republicans are ahead or in neck-and-neck races for nine open seats. Of the 10 Republican incumbents seeking re-election, almost all have comfortable leads; 5 Democratic incumbents are in contests that could go either way.

"There's a lot of tightening in these races," said Charles Cook, who publishes a nonpartisan political newsletter. "But I'm still doubtful of the Democrats' ability to turn it around. The conventional wisdom is the Democrats are picking up a lot of steam, but I think it's a lot of wishful thinking."

In Montana, Mr. Burns was thought to be in trouble, particularly after the Senator repeated a rancher's racial slur -- an episode that drew headlines in the state. But a poll of likely voters published yesterday by Lee Newspapers and conducted by Political Media Research Inc., found that Mr. Burns held a 51 percent-to-37 percent lead over his Democratic opponent, Jack Mudd, who is a former law school dean. The margin of sampling error is plus or minus 3.5 percentage points.

And in Delaware, Democratic officials said they were particularly disappointed that the Democrat, Attorney General Charles M. Oberly 3d, had been unable to make inroads against Mr. Roth, whom he has portrayed as out of touch with the state after four terms. A poll in yesterday's News-Journal in Wilmington, conducted by Louis Harris & Associates, found that Mr. Roth drew 53 percent of likely voters, and Mr. Oberly 37 percent. The margin of error is plus or minus three percentage points.

"To be completely honest, that's very different from what we thought it was going to be," Kim James, a spokeswoman for the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee, said.

Ken Klein, the Democratic Senatorial Committee's communications director, later sought to cast the results in more positive terms than Ms. James. He raised questions about how the Delaware poll was conducted and emphasized the other states where Democrats appeared to be showing marked improvement but were mostly still behind. "The overall picture in the last 10 days has been a net positive," Mr. Klein said.

But James R. Soles, a political scientist at the University of Delaware, said Democrats who had set their sights on the seat did not realize that voters in the state rarely turn out incumbents. "Once it takes politicians to its heart, Delaware doesn't lightly turn them aside," Mr. Soles said. "I have never termed Mr. Roth vulnerable."

Republicans, who last controlled the Senate in 1986, could not contain their glee over the latest polls.

"I am absolutely convinced that Republicans are going to win the United States Senate on Nov. 8," said Gary Koops, communications director for the National Republican Senatorial Committee. "There's not a Republican incumbent in the country who's trailing in any poll -- that points out that it's not just anti-incumbent. There's an anti-Democratic element to the voters' mood."

http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F50E10FC355B0C728FDDA90994DC494D81
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2010, 06:56:33 AM »

Uh, what?

I said it about six weeks ago.  Same thing happened with Santorum in 1994.

I'm surprised it didn't get closer about a fortnight ago.

I wasn't here then but I find it hard to believe a few people here didn't insist that it would narrow. I know plenty of people outside of this bubble thought it would.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies