KY: Rasmussen: Conway cuts Paul lead in half
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:28:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2010 Elections
  2010 Senatorial Election Polls
  KY: Rasmussen: Conway cuts Paul lead in half
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: KY: Rasmussen: Conway cuts Paul lead in half  (Read 3752 times)
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2010, 03:21:43 PM »

I don't know for sure if the ad is working, but it doesn't appear to have hurt Conway's numbers. The state is incredibly conservative and this sort of thing plants thoughts in voters' minds.
Whacker77

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2010, 03:47:36 PM »
« Edited: October 19, 2010, 03:50:56 PM by Whacker77 »

The story about Conway's ad didn't really gain media attraction until yesterday.  It's not reasonable to assume a one day poll held last night would capture voter changes.

To say this ad puts doubt in conservative voter's mind would be one thing if Paul was not religious.  The thing is he, in fact, attends a Presbyterian church where his wife is a deacon.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2010, 04:36:33 PM »

FWIW, the latest DSCC internal has Conway ahead 49 - 47.

I'm not going to bother making a thread since it is an internal, but I guess you could argue releasing such a poll shows the Conway camp are somewhat confident they can win this.
Whacker77

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2010, 04:43:30 PM »

I'm not going to bother making a thread since it is an internal, but I guess you could argue releasing such a poll shows the Conway camp are somewhat confident they can win this.

Then why run that ad?  The theme around this state has been Conway ran that ad because he is behind and needed a game changer.  They released that "poll" to make the claim he's not behind and needs a game changer.  I don't think any politcal observer thinks Conway is ahead, but that doesn't mean he can't win.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2010, 04:47:25 PM »

Then why run that ad?  The theme around this state has been Conway ran that ad because he is behind and needed a game changer.  They released that "poll" to make the claim he's not behind and needs a game changer.  I don't think any politcal observer thinks Conway is ahead, but that doesn't mean he can't win.

The internal is from yesterday, AFAIK...
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2010, 04:49:06 PM »

Actually I suspect that the main difference between this and Dole (should there turn out to be one), is not the difference between NC and KY, but rather that this ad, for all that it is deplorable and irrelevant, is at least about things that Paul did, whereas the NC ad was just about some random group that donated to Hagan.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2010, 04:49:49 PM »

This race was really starting to close up. You'd expect an ad like this from someone who's just about cooked. I really hope Paul can pull this out.
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2010, 04:52:35 PM »

This race was really starting to close up. You'd expect an ad like this from someone who's just about cooked. I really hope Paul can pull this out.

It's Elizabeth Dole all over again.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2010, 04:55:54 PM »

It's Elizabeth Dole all over again.

Yes, look at Paul's surge in this poll, taken yesterday.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2010, 05:05:17 PM »

At least Conway didn't put a fake impersonation of Paul voice clip at the end of the ad saying something like "there is no other god but Aqua Buddha and I am his prophet".
xavier110
United States
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2010, 05:35:32 PM »

I think the difference between this and NC is that Paul is just a character. As long as the race is about him and his personal behavior, it will be closer than it should be. "Aqua Buddha" is different from "There is no God!" (and not even using her real voice, lol).
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2010, 05:49:54 PM »

Are the people of Kentucky really that stupid that they will change their votes based on what one Conway supporter claims Rand Paul might have done when he was in college?!
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2010, 05:52:00 PM »

Are the people of Kentucky really that stupid that they will change their votes based on what one Conway supporter claims Rand Paul might have done when he was in college?!

Why does it matter whether or not it was in college or it was last week or last year?
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2010, 05:54:04 PM »

Why does it matter whether or not it was in college or it was last week or last year?

You do realize that people tend to party in college?
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2010, 05:55:56 PM »

Well, I, for one, refuse to vote for anyone who did not have the lock on their chastity belt checked and their blood toxicology tested every day between the ages of 18 and 22.
Whacker77

« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2010, 06:02:25 PM »

I don't think Conway runs this ad unless he's down and needs a game changer.  Given the fact Paul leads among women and trails among men in the Rasmussen poll, it's likely something is a bit funky with the numbers.  As for internal polls, yawn.

I do think Paul is squandering this race.  He believed being against Obama was enough and almost never mentioned Conway until the last week or so.  Conway has been in attack mode for almost six weeks.  It was a smart strategy, but I just keep coming back to this point.  It's the biggest Republican year in 50 years.  Hard to see Conway winning in this environment.  PPP is going to be in the state this week and I expect them to show Sestak like numbers for Conway.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2010, 06:04:50 PM »

You do realize that people tend to party in college?

Not sure what parties you're going to bud, but I've yet to attend a party where we kidnap women and force them to kneel before Aqua Buddha.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2010, 09:16:56 PM »

Actually I suspect that the main difference between this and Dole (should there turn out to be one), is not the difference between NC and KY, but rather that this ad, for all that it is deplorable and irrelevant, is at least about things that Paul did, whereas the NC ad was just about some random group that donated to Hagan.

Not even that really. It was a case of some guy affiliated with the group had attended a fundraiser Hagan also did. This does involve something Paul did which most people would consider rather loathsome even if they don't care about the religious angle.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies