George McGovern '72 Research
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:15:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  George McGovern '72 Research
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: George McGovern '72 Research  (Read 668 times)
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 04, 2015, 08:42:08 AM »

Hi! I'm in the IB program and I am doing my extended essay (4,000 words) on the reasons George McGovern lost so badly in 1972. I was wondering if you all had any suggestions in terms of where I can find solid resources? I've seen One Bright Shining Moment and the CSPAN Contenders bit. Also, I'm looking at buying Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail. Any other ideas? Maybe McGovern's autobiography?
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 09:06:15 AM »

Poor McGovern. Everything had to go right for him to win but instead everything that could have gone wrong did.

Awesome subject you chose and I wish you luck.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 09:47:20 AM »

"Nixonland", Richard Perlstein. Discusses how Nixon manipulated the economy, foreign affairs, and the American people to orchestrate his re-election.
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 10:45:34 AM »

At the time source material: The Making of the President, 1972, Theodore White.
Current, for historical perspective: Dog Whistle Politics, Ian Haney Lopez.

I hope this helps. Perhaps research the source of the "acid, amnesty and abortion" label which was applied to George McGovern. Consider that the nation had been rocked by race riots and antiwar protests and campus disruption in recent years, and valued a tough "law and order" stand in its candidates. Consider that on May 4, 1970, Gov Rhodes was trailing by 6 points in the primary. That day 4 students were killed at Kent State; the next day Rhodes lost by only 1 point (so the lethal crackdown on student unrest helped him). Consider that when Lt. Calley was court-martialed for firing on civilians in Vietnam in 1968, the American response was a hit record ("The Battle Hymn of Lieutenant Calley") and numerous marriage proposals, among other things. Consider that in 1972 when abortion was still illegal in 46 states, Michigan voters rejected legalizing abortion in the first 20 weeks, 61-39% (the "yes" vote actually ran a few points behind McGovern in MI). Consider that Americans overwhelmingly did not know anyone who was gay, did not know anyone who used recreational drugs and strongly disapproved of them, and that many Americans believed that draft evaders should never be forgiven or even allowed back into the US.

I bring this up to show how different the America of 1972, which was within my living memory, was from the America you are growing up in.
Hydera

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 10:52:51 AM »

Poor McGovern. Everything had to go right for him to win but instead everything that could have gone wrong did.

I wish people would stop obsessing over the '72 election. Do people really think that wallace's 10 million voters in 1968, were going to vote for mcgovern?
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 11:05:42 AM »

I wish people would stop obsessing over the '72 election. Do people really think that wallace's 10 million voters in 1968, were going to vote for mcgovern?

Well, I am imagining a 17 year old who wants to do well in his history class. With the human race producing as much information in 3 days as we produced from the dawn of time until 2003, youth are better informed than ever, and it is difficult for someone this young to put oneself in the America of 30, 40, 50 years ago. Speaking of Wallace, I'm sure some of his vote outside the deep south came from people who were simply protesting the 2-party system, and it is not inconceivable that McGovern won a few of them in 1972. Another note to our young friend: While McGovern lost badly, he won 18-24 year old first time voters 49.4%-48.8%, while Wallace (before his attempted assassination) tanked in this age group even in Wallace-Nixon matchups and especially in 3-way races. You, sir or madam, will be one of these voters soon. Vote smart and remember, its nobody's business except your own who you vote for, unless you choose to tell them!
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 01:29:22 PM »

Thank you to everybody who has replied so far! I really appreciate the consideration and source ideas!
NerdyBohemian
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 03:10:56 PM »

Primary source: see if you can look up footage of the crapshow that was the 1972 Democratic Convention.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies