Delaware: The end of an era
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:17:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Delaware: The end of an era
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Delaware: The end of an era  (Read 4200 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 16, 2010, 09:58:23 AM »

For many years Delaware politics could been described as one great gentlemen agreement.

For those years you had Castle, Biden, Roth and Carper, serving together, maintaining good relations above D/R lines, and not aiming at each other.

The 1992 election was a quintessence: Castle was term limited as Governor, and run for House seat, that was held by Carper, thus Carper run for Governor. Both won and both sides were happy.

The problem arose in 2000, when Carper was now term-limited, and three other offices: two Senate seat and House one were all filled. He run against Roth and won, which was the first break, but it was just due to the lack of room.

More things changed, when Biden gave up his seat, he was holding for 36 years, to become Vice President. Castle was getting older and older, thus saw an opportunity to have a great finish of his long career, serving out 4 remaining years. That's why Beau didn't run. Quintessential Delaware gentlemen agreement politics: you can have your finish, Mike, and then is going to be next Biden. Coons, until now, was a just random sacrificial lamb.

And now O'Donnell upsetting Castle changed everything. From the original top four of the "gentlemen", only Carper left. Roth lost in 2000 and died. Castle lost now and the whole deal is no longer a matter. Biden is Vice President. This generation is fading.

So yes, beside other factors, O'Donnell victory over Castle also marks an end of an interesting chapter of DE politics: era of gentlemen agreements and coexistence between few, top, veteran guys.  
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 10:22:42 AM »

And good riddance to that "error".
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 10:28:31 AM »

O'Donnell is the only error I see.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 10:46:10 AM »

Of course. Now please tell me how Castle would advance the GOP?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 10:47:30 AM »

Maybe because both parties cannot affort an ideological purity and needs Mikes Castles or Evans Bayhes?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 10:50:38 AM »

What about Zell Miller or CarlHayden dems? You all demonize them then root for a marginal Republican like Castle.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 10:54:19 AM »

What about Zell Miller or CarlHayden dems? You all demonize them then root for a marginal Republican like Castle.

1. "Mariginal Republican" Castle was the all GOP had in Delaware. The state is now a dead zone for the Republicans.
2. Zell Miller who's actually became a Republican President foot soldier is a bad example. I mean people like Evan Bayh: not the best, but still the best Dems can have in states like Indiana. Just like Castle was the best GOP could get in DE.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 10:58:04 AM »

Sorry but Castle could easily pass for a blue dog.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 11:00:41 AM »

States, I guess I have problem with understading what you're trying to say.
Frink
Lafayette53
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -6.17

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 11:01:57 AM »

Hes to the left of a lot of Blue Dogs, actually.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 11:04:47 AM »

Castle did not ever have an economically conservative voting record.  He received an "F" from the NRA every year.  He did not have a conservative voting record on anything else.  It is better for the Republicans to have 50 seats as the minority than 51 with Mike Castle setting the agenda.  The only agenda Mike Castle will ever support is further expansion of entitlement programs.  A strong Republican minority will block further expansion of entitlement programs.  A 50-seat delegation for Republicans in the Senate is therefore superior to a 51-seat delegation with Mike Castle, in the eyes of a fiscal conservative.
Frink
Lafayette53
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 11:06:03 AM »

I think I'm going to miss him.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 11:13:15 AM »

A 50-seat delegation for Republicans in the Senate is therefore superior to a 51-seat delegation with Mike Castle, in the eyes of a fiscal conservative.

And that's an utter nonsense, because 51 seats even with Castle gives the GOP an organizational majority and a controll over the committees.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2010, 11:17:02 AM »

A 50-seat delegation for Republicans in the Senate is therefore superior to a 51-seat delegation with Mike Castle, in the eyes of a fiscal conservative.

And that's an utter nonsense, because 51 seats even with Castle gives the GOP an organizational majority and a controll over the committees.

I could care less about whether the Republicans have their precious committee chairmanships.  I do care whether their agenda will be fiscally conservative or not.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2010, 11:19:53 AM »

What I can tell you is how O'Donnell is gonna advance the democrats. Wink
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2010, 11:24:55 AM »

I could care less about whether the Republicans have their precious committee chairmanships.  I do care whether their agenda will be fiscally conservative or not.

So why did you bring the topic? Roll Eyes
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2010, 11:25:28 AM »

How? If she loses it really won't help them in the long run. Everyone will stop caring about Marylands eastern shore in a week or two anyway.
Frink
Lafayette53
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2010, 11:29:00 AM »

Holding Committee chairmanships versus not holding them could have a substantial effect on their agenda.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2010, 11:31:40 AM »

And if it's the wrong agenda, I don't want them to implement it.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2010, 11:37:26 AM »

How? If she loses it really won't help them in the long run. Everyone will stop caring about Marylands eastern shore in a week or two anyway.

One more Senate seat may change everything. And potentially it could even help democrats to hold on in Washington, Illinois and Nevada, as republicans may be willing to focus on safer Dem States.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2010, 11:41:43 AM »

And if it's the wrong agenda, I don't want them to implement it.

From the power balance point of view, 51 seat majority is better than a 50 seat minority. Even if Castle would vote with Dems on a lot of issues, there's still a majority, that would allow a conservative leadership to controll committees, an essential thing in Congress.

By the way, Republicans wouldn't have anyway a real all-conservative majority, as they need people like Snowe, Collins etc. to hate a majority at all.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2010, 11:45:35 AM »

Thank you Kalwejt for reminding us that though america is now a vulgar sewer it was not always quite so bad.  We need some kind of sign or emblem for nostalgics. 
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2010, 01:34:46 PM »

One more Senate seat may change everything. And potentially it could even help democrats to hold on in Washington, Illinois and Nevada, as Republicans may be willing to focus on safer Dem States.
I'm not getting what you are saying. I don't see how it could Democrats hold on in other swing states. Delaware is Delaware. Washington is Washington. Illinois is Illinois, etc. etc. Not having Castle means the GOP has more resources to use to help in other competitive senate seats.

And I think you are thinking too partisanly. Even if the Republicans do not have control of the Senate, Democratic control will be largely ceremonial. If they couldn't do anything with a near supermajority, they won't be doing anything with less then that.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2010, 01:37:54 PM »

One more Senate seat may change everything. And potentially it could even help democrats to hold on in Washington, Illinois and Nevada, as Republicans may be willing to focus on safer Dem States.
I'm not getting what you are saying. I don't see how it could Democrats hold on in other swing states. Delaware is Delaware. Washington is Washington. Illinois is Illinois, etc. etc. Not having Castle means the GOP has more resources to use to help in other competitive senate seats.

And I think you are thinking too partisanly. Even if the Republicans do not have control of the Senate, Democratic control will be largely ceremonial. If they couldn't do anything with a near supermajority, they won't be doing anything with less then that.

But they'll still deservedly get the blame for the impending disaster, and thus Obama and the Senate Dems will be history in 2012. Win-win situation for the GOP in the long-term.
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2010, 05:56:55 PM »

But they'll still deservedly get the blame for the impending disaster, and thus Obama and the Senate Dems will be history in 2012. Win-win situation for the GOP in the long-term.

A republican house practically requires them to be more constructive, since Bohner will be the face of congress regardless of whether Reid is nominally Majority leader. And as a practical matter, filibuster reform is coming one way or another.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies