Tower Hamlets Mayoral Election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:21:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Tower Hamlets Mayoral Election
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Tower Hamlets Mayoral Election  (Read 3573 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2010, 09:43:45 AM »

Anyway, I've suspected for a while that Rahman is more a Santamaria than a Hatton.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2010, 09:49:01 AM »

Anyway, I've suspected for a while that Rahman is more a Santamaria than a Hatton.
Abel or Juan?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2010, 09:57:35 AM »

Abel or Juan?

B.A.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2010, 10:03:35 AM »

Ah. Right. I see. Doubt there'll be genuine Muslim Groupers in British Labour any time soon, though.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2010, 10:05:08 AM »

Ah. Right. I see. Doubt there'll be genuine Muslim Groupers in British Labour any time soon, though.

That would be very surprising, yeah. But it's a better parallel than the Militant one that some people have been keen to draw.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2010, 10:21:43 AM »

Dreadful result for the Tories, no? I suspect Rahman pulled a few Tory voters or was their low result a result of bad turnout and being badly overshadowed by the Labour battle?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2010, 10:27:57 AM »

Dreadful result for the Tories, no? I suspect Rahman pulled a few Tory voters or was their low result a result of bad turnout and being badly overshadowed by the Labour battle?

Why would any Tory in Tower Hamlets vote for Rahman? The Tory vote mostly comes from the yuppy colonies along the Thames. No, the key point is that turnout was at laughable levels outside the Bangladeshi community. Early rumours from the count was that Rahman won everwhere but the gentrified Isle of Dogs (where the Tory led), which seems a little implausible unless almost no working class whites in Bow voted. Which is possible, I guess.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2010, 10:28:48 AM »

The Tories would presumably have gotten a better result if the council had been up at the same time.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2010, 10:40:05 AM »

The Tories would presumably have gotten a better result if the council had been up at the same time.

Yeah. All the candidates that weren't Rahman would have done.

In 2001 the ethnic breakdown in Tower Hamlets was: White 51.4 (White British 42.9), Bangladeshi 33.4, Black 6.5. The general view is that since then it has become less white and more Bangladeshi, but it's pretty clear that Bangladeshi's are still a minority though perhaps now the largest group overall. It's even clearer that a big majority of the 25% who voted yesterday were Bangladeshis and that white support for Rahman was insignificant. So, yeah.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2010, 10:59:59 AM »

I'll be keeping an Eye out Wink

Still, Ken's association with Lutfur while not unexpected is marginally beneficial for the Boris campaign.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2010, 11:02:41 AM »

A random thought: What if Nick Griffin had decided to stand....?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2010, 11:34:36 AM »

Isn't this where that pig was elected in 2005? If so, why didn't he run? He doesn't have much to do these days. Or did he get tired of the area and move back to Scotland?

Why would he run for Mayor?

I said, "He doesn't have much to do these days." It was mainly me trying to find out what he's doing these days. Silly me. I should have known it was so stupid to ask if he'd run for Mayor.  Roll Eyes

Mayors have even more work to do that MPs. The problem with Galloway was that he never liked his MP work.

Also, why would anyone vote for Galloway while Rahman was on the ballot?

You're taking my comment way too seriously. I just wanted to see what he was up to and if he continued as an attention whore in the area or if he went back to Scotland.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2010, 12:14:44 PM »

Isn't this where that pig was elected in 2005? If so, why didn't he run? He doesn't have much to do these days. Or did he get tired of the area and move back to Scotland?

Why would he run for Mayor?

I said, "He doesn't have much to do these days." It was mainly me trying to find out what he's doing these days. Silly me. I should have known it was so stupid to ask if he'd run for Mayor.  Roll Eyes

Mayors have even more work to do that MPs. The problem with Galloway was that he never liked his MP work.

Also, why would anyone vote for Galloway while Rahman was on the ballot?

You're taking my comment way too seriously. I just wanted to see what he was up to and if he continued as an attention whore in the area or if he went back to Scotland.
Yes, I understood that. I explained Xahar's reaction by adding some background that someone asking about Galloway might be aware of but you seemed not to be. (His lack of constituency work.)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2010, 12:28:19 PM »

I explained Xahar's reaction by adding some background that someone asking about Galloway might be aware of but you seemed not to be. (His lack of constituency work.)

My response was mainly to your point about Rahman since I don't know him.  Tongue
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2010, 12:52:33 PM »

I explained Xahar's reaction by adding some background that someone asking about Galloway might be aware of but you seemed not to be. (His lack of constituency work.)

My response was mainly to your point about Rahman since I don't know him.  Tongue
Which is understandable, of course... though easily cured by reading Andrew Teale's long post. Tongue
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies