Democrats in 2008
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:39:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Democrats in 2008
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Which Democrat should be nominated for President in 2008?
Sen. Evan Bayh (IN)

Sen. Hillary R. Clinton (NY)

Ex-Gov. Howard Dean (VT)

Sen. Chris Dodd (CT)

Ex-Sen. John Edwards (NC)

Sen. Barack Obama (IL)

Gov. Tom Vilsack (IA)

Gov. Mark Warner (VA)

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 73

Author Topic: Democrats in 2008  (Read 9897 times)
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2004, 08:02:16 AM »

Hillary will run and win in 2008.
Sorry folks but she can cary ohio, nevada, colorado, florida and arkansas.
I feel sorry for pathetic republicans calling her a bitch. This shows their viewpoint towards strong women which intimidate them since they are just sorry losers.

I'm a Democrat and I say that she can't win and she should run in the primaires.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2004, 09:47:34 AM »

Zel Miller
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2004, 01:44:32 PM »

Evan Bayh (Pres.) and Mark Warner (V.P.)

Bayh is a moderate who has strong bi-partisan appeal (potentially) / support (well in Indiana anyway) and a proven executive record.

If the Democrats lurch left, then they are on a one-way ticket to self-destruction. Only a centrist Democrat stands any chance of winning in 2008.

On a less serious note, Bayh and Warner could well be the best ever looking ticket.

The Democratic Party needs to broaden its appeal and its the centrists, who are best positioned to do that. They need to stand-up and be counted. They must be heard - loud and clear!

Dave
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2004, 04:08:56 PM »

I thought I would be the first one to mention Zell Miller. I doubt it would happen, but he fixes everything that went wrong for the Democrats this election. A non liberal-extremists from the south who can work good with Republicans.
Redefeatbush04

« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2004, 04:10:18 PM »

Obama and I have our differences but if the democratic primary were held today, and those were the candidates, that is who I would most likely vote for. He has a lot of potential, but is still a rookie. He may not be the best choice for 2008, but look for him in 2012.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2004, 04:42:34 PM »

Forget Hilary and Obama.  If they are going to win, it wil be with a governor or ex-governor.  Warner, Vilsack, Rendell, Dean, Richardson, somebody like that.
Ronald Reagan
Spl2
United States

« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2004, 06:06:00 PM »

I'd choose other- Zell Miller!
Redefeatbush04

« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2004, 06:35:48 PM »

Zell Miller is a republican, he just won't admit it
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2004, 07:18:02 PM »
« Edited: November 10, 2004, 03:27:52 AM by Ben. »

Zell Miller is a republican, he just won't admit it

I would argue that's not so, i think he's gone a bit overboard but to be fair i can understand his reaction to what had become of the Dem leadership on the hill.

Nancy Pelosi makes me want to barf...
zachman

« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2004, 07:53:01 PM »

As a 2008 NH Prinmary voter I'm polling my early support behind Mark Warner, although I don't know much about him. I'd also be interested in a western democrat, although the talent poll isn't too deep.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2004, 08:02:50 PM »

Bayh  Bayh   Bayh    Bayh     Bayh      Bayh       Bayh        Bayh         Bayh          Bayh
Even if it is only driven by a selfish desire to see Indiana turn red (or for you evil non-Dave-color-ites, blue) sometime during my lifetime Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Grin Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Hermit
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2004, 08:37:27 PM »

"When given the choice between a Republican and a Democrat that acts like a Republican, the people will always pick the real Republican."
-Harry Truman
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2004, 09:54:39 PM »

I think the best ticket would be Bayh/Richardson

It's perfect, a popular moderate senator from a conservative state and a popular hispanic governor from the west.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2004, 12:50:15 PM »

I like Bayh
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2004, 05:40:18 PM »

IMHO these guys are the best Democrats can hope for...

1. Evan Bayh
Has cross-over appeal and would appeal to Republicans and Democrats alike. Might even, shock horror, carry his state of Indiana for the Democrats (of course depending on who he's up against).

2. Mark Warner
Has leadership experience as Govenor, charismatic, would also appeal to both sides of the political divide. Like Bayh a unifying, not a polarising, figure.

3. John Edwards
Only drawback would be his lack of political experience, but still possesses the charisma as well as ability to attract vast funding to pull off a Presidential bid. An Edwards/Bayh or an Edwards/Ford ticket could do very well in my view.

No, no, no:

Hillary R. Clinton
I like Hillary. I do. But she wouldn't be the right choice. 2004 has shown that North East liberals have a very hard time winning the votes of Middle America, besides she's a very polarising figure which is the last thing America needs after eight years of possibly the most polarising Presidency in modern times.

Howard Dean
I like Howard. I do. But he'd be another McGovern no matter who he faces, and in a day and age where television watches a Presidential candidate's every move he slips up too many times. I can envisage him losing his cool during a debate (...even though that didn't stop GWB from winning this year.....).

John Kerry
I like Kerry. I do. Unfortunately the track record of most Democratic losers, from HHH to Gore, doesn't bode well. But then I suppose only time will tell whether Kerry can come back from the political dead, so watch this space. Well, not this space. It's just a saying, 's all.

Barack Obama
I like Obama. I do. But he's too inexperienced. Maybe in 2012 (or in 2020, after eight years of Ahnuld).
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2004, 11:04:18 PM »

Dean is making another run.  Heard him speak in late September, and it certainly seemed like he was still interested.  The scary thing is, he has a chance if Bush's second term goes to hell in a handbasket and Hillary doesn't run--and he's worse now than he was this cycle...his rhetoric has gotten worse than some of the Democratic trolls on this board (not opebo, or I'd really be running for the hills).

And now for a select line from Dean's talk (admittedly, to an overwhelmingly liberal audience):

"There are no moderate Republicans."
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2004, 11:05:13 PM »

Hillary is going to make a run unless she loses her Senate seat.

Hmmm...should I vote for her in '06 to make sure that happens???

Nah.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2004, 11:36:34 PM »

Bayh and Warner have a good chance of pulling Republican votes if the Reps go hard right.

Edwards is an empty suit and people are realizing it.  If he gets some real policy experience under his hat he could be a good candidate in 4 years.

Dean would need to rehabilitate himself.  Head of the DNC is probably a great job for him, but it signals the end of his running for public office.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2004, 06:49:30 AM »

Head of the DNC is probably a great job for him, but it signals the end of his running for public office.

And watch at the DNC Chair calls half of the party Democrats in name only and the Republican wing of the Democratic Party... I'd be in a very difficult fix if he became chair as would many moderate and conservative democrats... Dona Brazil all the way! That said James Carville would be fun Smiley
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2004, 10:42:32 AM »

Head of the DNC is probably a great job for him, but it signals the end of his running for public office.

And watch at the DNC Chair calls half of the party Democrats in name only and the Republican wing of the Democratic Party... I'd be in a very difficult fix if he became chair as would many moderate and conservative democrats... Dona Brazil all the way! That said James Carville would be fun Smiley

At least he would stand for something.  We would have a barometer for judging whetehr democrats are left or right of the core DNC.

Carville would be a hoot, especially since I expcet he would still want to work on CNN. 
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2004, 01:26:31 PM »

At least he would stand for something.  We would have a barometer for judging whetehr democrats are left or right of the core DNC.

Carville would be a hoot, especially since I expcet he would still want to work on CNN. 

Hey! I'm quite fond of the Ragin' Cagen! Smiley

Dean isn't liberal though, he suddenly became liberal in early 2003, and before that he wouldn't have been out of place with Libertarian leaning Dems like Tony Knowles and Brian Schweitzer it was breath taking to see how radical he drove towards the far left of the party, had he remained a passionate moderate he would have been a competive candidate but he wasn’t and added to this he then had the temerity to turn round to moderate and conservative dems and even broad groups like the DLC and lecture us on what “real democrats” where all about an how we where not really democrats but hailed from the “Republican wing of the Democratic Party”… I’m sorry but the man has some cheek.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2004, 01:36:57 PM »

Dean isn't liberal though, he suddenly became liberal in early 2003, and before that he wouldn't have been out of place with Libertarian leaning Dems like Tony Knowles and Brian Schweitzer it was breath taking to see how radical he drove towards the far left of the party, had he remained a passionate moderate he would have been a competive candidate but he wasn’t and added to this he then had the temerity to turn round to moderate and conservative dems and even broad groups like the DLC and lecture us on what “real democrats” where all about an how we where not really democrats but hailed from the “Republican wing of the Democratic Party”… I’m sorry but the man has some cheek.

Dean is liberal in belief, moderate in action.  He believes it is better to take baby steps toward his core beliefs than to try and go for it all at once and end up getting nothing done.

You are right that his running far left and insulting tone hurts his position in the party.

Carville, unlike most of the potential DNC heads, at least remains in touch with reality and understands the message of the recent election cycles.  I just think it would be funny for CNN to keep saying they have no editorial bias or slant and have the DNC chief on their payroll.
chadnat1019
Rookie

« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2004, 01:40:16 PM »

I was born in South Louisiana and I can tell you that 75% to 80% down there can not stand James Carville.  His views are way out of touch with the Cajin People.

Don't really care for anyone on this list, but if I had to vote for one of them it would be Evan Bayh.

Would much rather Z.Miller of Georgia.
(gee that should tee off most Dems)
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2004, 01:54:30 PM »

Dean is liberal in belief, moderate in action.  He believes it is better to take baby steps toward his core beliefs than to try and go for it all at once and end up getting nothing done.

You are right that his running far left and insulting tone hurts his position in the party.

Carville, unlike most of the potential DNC heads, at least remains in touch with reality and understands the message of the recent election cycles.  I just think it would be funny for CNN to keep saying they have no editorial bias or slant and have the DNC chief on their payroll.

Ah CNN, along with CBS, ABC, the NYT, WP and pretty much half the internet the Democrat counter to FOX and the WSJ lol!

Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2004, 02:48:30 PM »

Dean is making another run.  Heard him speak in late September, and it certainly seemed like he was still interested.  The scary thing is, he has a chance if Bush's second term goes to hell in a handbasket and Hillary doesn't run--and he's worse now than he was this cycle...his rhetoric has gotten worse than some of the Democratic trolls on this board (not opebo, or I'd really be running for the hills).

And now for a select line from Dean's talk (admittedly, to an overwhelmingly liberal audience):

"There are no moderate Republicans."

I would think he's just playing to his audience for that one -- Dean IS a moderate Democrat, who may have been anti-war, but promised to finish the job Bush started there. He also governed as a moderate, and made civil unions legal (without making same-sex marriage in itself legal). He's still my favorite politician, who, depending on the success of Bush's second term, could run on a moderate platform very easily and win, IMHO.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies