Democrats in 2008
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:02:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Democrats in 2008
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Which Democrat should be nominated for President in 2008?
Sen. Evan Bayh (IN)

Sen. Hillary R. Clinton (NY)

Ex-Gov. Howard Dean (VT)

Sen. Chris Dodd (CT)

Ex-Sen. John Edwards (NC)

Sen. Barack Obama (IL)

Gov. Tom Vilsack (IA)

Gov. Mark Warner (VA)

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 73

Author Topic: Democrats in 2008  (Read 9892 times)
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 07, 2004, 12:47:55 PM »

Early early days, but which Democrat should run in 2008?
danwxman

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2004, 02:21:38 PM »

Rendell or Warner

Please God....not "Vilsack"
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2004, 02:45:38 PM »
« Edited: November 07, 2004, 02:57:36 PM by Ben. »

These people should give serious thought to running…

Sn.Evan Bayh

Sn.Bill Nelson

Sn.Russ Feingold

Sn.Chris Dodd

Sn.Blanche Lincoln   

Gov.Ed Rendell

Gov.Phil Bredesen 

Gov.Mark Warner

Howard Dean

…not that all of them would be good candidates, on the contrary a number of them would to one degree or another be complete failures.

These people should look to other Presidential races in the future or just forget it (Hillary I’m looking at You!)…

Sn.Barack Obama: He will be too inexperienced by far and will need a few more years and a second term to iron out his positions and strike a more moderate tone before he is competitive nationwide, where he to run now for example he would lose for being type cast a liberal, an economic populist is fine but he will have to work on the social side of things along with the entire democratic party. Then again despite his liberal politics from what I’ve seen Obama is very good a speaking the “language of morality”.

Sn.Hillary Clinton: Too divisive, seen as far too Liberal and she just wouldn’t win. Added to this if Rudy runs she will have one hell of a fight on her hands and may not survive. But for gods sake Hillary stay where you are!

John Edwards: Much as I like Edwards he’s going to have squat to do for four years and a one term senator who has been doing squat for four years and has zero national security experience is not going to be competitive no matter how much he tries. He needs to do what FDR did go back to his home state, network and run for governor in 2008 (Easley has hinted that this would be his last race), he’s young enough to wait a while for the presidency.

Eliot Spitzer: He’s gained a strong standing amongst voters with his anti-corruption crusade as NY AG, and he turning out to be a pragmatic moderate, if Giuliani doesn’t run for the Governorship then he would be well placed not only to get the Democratic nomination but to either beat Pataki or take the Governorship in an open race (more likely that Pataki will retire IMHO).                           
danwxman

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2004, 02:50:41 PM »

I agree that Hillary: no.

Obama should run in 2012 or 2016.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2004, 03:07:54 PM »

Hillary's unfavorables are just way too high.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Gov. Bill Richardson! He's my choice.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2004, 03:37:36 PM »

Please put the bitch up.  Please let her run.  I beg you.  Please.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2004, 03:40:48 PM »

That’s a bit harsh language but I agree it would be a real treat for the GOP if she got the nomination and if she faced McCain it just wouldn’t be funny... then again if McCain gets the GOP nomination I'm all for running a sacrificial lamb like Dodd, Vilsack or Richardson etc... And concentrating on the Senate and House while Warner et-al keep busy for the next four years.   
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2004, 03:44:35 PM »
« Edited: November 07, 2004, 03:50:25 PM by Alcon »

That’s a bit harsh language but I agree it would be a real treat for the GOP if she got the nomination and if she faced McCain it just wouldn’t be funny... then again if McCain gets the GOP nomination I'm all for running a sacrificial lamb like Dodd, Vilsack or Richardson etc... And concentrating on the Senate and House while Warner et-al keep busy for the next four years.   

Why do you consider Richardson a sacrificial lamb?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2004, 03:49:29 PM »

Hillary will be the nominee because she wants to be and she controls the money and power of the party.

I support your efforts to try and stop her; it just won't happen.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2004, 03:52:30 PM »

Why do you consider Richardson a sacraficial lamb?

Richardson has been a good governor by all accounts and was an ok Energy sectary, but he was embroiled in one or two mini-scandals while in that post, while he would be a capable candidate I just don’t think he’s “presidential” and his remarks when folks where mentioning him as a potential VP for Kerry suggest that he too feels the same way… with a strong campaign Richardson could win but I don’t think it likely the same as it was for Dole, he’s competent and likeable (unlike Dole who was respected rather than liked) but as with folks like Vilsack and Dodd he wouldn’t have any special appeal but would be able to hold together the Democratic base while still probably losing and against McCain any democrat I can think of would probably lose… so if he runs the likes of Dodd, Vilsack and Richardson would be good-sacrificial lambs as while their capable they would not be the kind of candidates that the party would plumb for in any contest they saw as winnable, however of the three Richardson would be the best to select for a “winnable” contest IMHO.      

Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2004, 03:54:39 PM »

Hillary will be the nominee because she wants to be and she controls the money and power of the party.

I support your efforts to try and stop her; it just won't happen.

Disagree if she controlled the party Dean would have been the nominee to make sure there was a clean run for Hillary in 2008... unlike Bill she will have few friends on the the right of the party and even in the centre while the left may be distrustful of her and more willing to back Dean again or Feingold... also she may well have been beaten by Rudy by 2008 Smiley     
badnarikin04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2004, 03:56:56 PM »

Dean should have been the nominee this year and he will be in 08.

The only reason the Dems lost was because they nominated Kerry. What a terrible candidate he was.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2004, 04:04:11 PM »

The Clintons didn't want Dean running because Dean could have taken away control of the party apparatus of the party away from hacks like Terry McAuliffe.  This Dean could have done even with a unsuccessful run for the Presidency.

Their original candidate when Dean was taken down was supposed to be the subservient Wesley Clark, but then Clark took a nosedive and Kerry took over.  Kerry made it closer than it could've been I agree, but the one advantage the Clintons had with Kerry as nominee is that if he didn't win, he would faithfully go off into the sunset and their power structure would not be dismantled.

Look, I agree that she has few friends (including none among leftists I know) and there are not that many people who like her, but she is the one who controls where most of the money in the party comes from, i.e. Hollywood and the intellectual and power elites.

Money equals power and therefore she controls her own fate, regardless of what the leftists might think about her.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2004, 04:06:11 PM »

If Hillary is unstoppable than I hope Guiliani runs against her in 2006 and beats her even though I hate that SOB. However, I agree with what khirkib or whatever said once, that there's a good chance Hillary will never run, only some people won't believe that and when she's 85 people will still be saying "oh she'll run, she's just waiting for the right opportunity."

I'd wait to see some actual evidence Hillary has plans of running (note: what Dick Morris says does not count, I'd trust the Weekly World News before anything that comes out of Dick Morris's mouth) before talking about her being nominated.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2004, 04:09:37 PM »

fwiw, I don't believe anything Dick Morris says either.

I'm just going on my gut instinct.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2004, 04:21:08 PM »

Probably a Dark Horse
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2004, 07:28:22 PM »

dean is done, no way hes running for pres again. he was embrassed to much in 04.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2004, 08:01:53 PM »

dean is done, no way hes running for pres again. he was embrassed to much in 04.

hehe by almost wining? I think he'll run again in 2008, he got too close before.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2004, 08:19:15 PM »

Will they run in 2008?

Bayh - Maybe
Clinton - Yes
Dean - Yes (I bet he started planning his run last Wed.)
Dodd - No
Edwards - Yes
Obama - No
Vilsack - No
Warner - No (Possible VP candidate though)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2004, 09:15:13 PM »

Dean can run, but he won't get anywhere. He's old news. Plus he got so far through an anti-war campaign, he can't do that in 2008.
George W. Bush
eversole_Adam

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2004, 09:19:54 PM »

Bayh - Yes he will run, And I think he has the Best Shot
Clinton - Yes, I dont know how she would do
Dean - No, He is Gone
Dodd - No
Edwards - Yes, I think he will get crushed in the Primarys
Obama - No
Vilsack - ??
Warner - No
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2004, 11:00:20 PM »

Folks, the NOWsters will make sure that Evan Bayh never gets anywhere near the Presidency.  It's a nice dream and he would be a great candidate, but don't get your hopes up.

His votes on women's issues scare the hell out of the women's rights people; it's one of the reasons why he's never been a VP candidate either, even when Gore wanted him to be in 2000.
MarkDel

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2004, 11:47:17 PM »

Bayh is the best candidate of this group by a WIDE margin. Vilsack, Warner and Richardson would also be decent candidates. As a Republican, I am praying for a Howard Dean sighting...LOL
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2004, 02:23:37 AM »

Bayh is the best candidate of this group by a WIDE margin. Vilsack, Warner and Richardson would also be decent candidates. As a Republican, I am praying for a Howard Dean sighting...LOL

Bayh has about as much of  a chance of being the Dem nominee that Rudy has of being the Republican nominee.  You have to appeal to the fringes of your party to win the nomination.  Bayh and Rudy can't do this.
dokken
Rookie
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2004, 03:30:22 PM »

Hillary will run and win in 2008.
Sorry folks but she can cary ohio, nevada, colorado, florida and arkansas.
I feel sorry for pathetic republicans calling her a bitch. This shows their viewpoint towards strong women which intimidate them since they are just sorry losers.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies