Office of the Attorney General
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:14:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Office of the Attorney General
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Office of the Attorney General  (Read 2932 times)
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 07, 2004, 08:49:34 AM »
« edited: December 30, 2004, 09:28:39 AM by Peter Bell »

The office of the Attorney General has a website: HERE

I will post anything of significance that I do in the job on the website, so its always a good place to find out what I am doing at the moment.

I would like to take this chance to remind the Senate that they must as a matter of priority consider the amendments to the Constitution as regards Senate Powers, Supremacy of the Constitution and the Powers of the Courts. You will not be able to pass any other legislation whatsoever until this crisis is repaired on the grounds that it is all automatically unconstitutional. I thank Senator Defarge for taking up my amendments in the Senate.

More soon...
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2004, 08:51:21 AM »

I hereby form the Special Commission on the Constitution with the following mandate:

The Special Commission shall review the Constitution in order to identify any weakness or failing within its present structure. It shall propose remedies to these in the form of recommendations to be submitted to the Senate.

You can learn more about the Special Commission on the Office of the Attorney General Website, linked above. Invitations to join the Commission will be sent out shortly.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2004, 03:25:16 PM »
« Edited: November 08, 2004, 05:54:04 AM by Peter Bell »

The Members of the Special Commission will be as follows:

Peter Bell - Attorney General
KEmperor - Chief Justice
Bono - Senator, District 2A
Ernest - Governor, Southeast Region
Siege40 - Senator, District 2B

The Commission will begin deliberations as soon as the Constitutional Process ongoing in the Senate is complete or nearing an end.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2004, 06:05:44 PM »

Because I want to know whether I should bother maintaining the thread:

Does anybody use the Status of Bills Thread?
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2004, 06:30:01 PM »

I do.
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2004, 09:21:19 PM »

I do.  It's very useful
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2004, 09:53:48 PM »

I do aswell.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2004, 08:42:38 PM »

Since it looks as though it is a used thread, I will try my best to update it daily (probably when around 5-9am EST).

All the present votes and bill transmittals will be posted in the reply to the thread, so Senators should check that to see that they are up to date on votes.

I would like to take this opportunity to remind members of the Special Commission to actually take part (especially the certain members who have repeatedly promised to do something, and then done nothing).

I would also like to ask if Siege is around since he is yet to vote in all the recent votes and I can't remember him being particularly active in any threads.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2004, 09:10:11 PM »

I've just updated the Current Stuff thread.

I would like to enquire to people as to how they think I should continue with the weekly "rating" of the Senators. I'm open to suggestions and I would like to avoid circumstances where people feel it necessary to threaten me, as happened last week.

Here are a few options:
1. Discontinute it altogether.
2. Continue as it is.
3. Post only voting statistics.
4. Post voting stats and also rate my top 3 Senators of the week, but no general grading.

Personally, I don't want to discontinue it altogether, as I think it serves as a useful tool in keeping the Senators on their toes enough to vote. I also think its important to recognise the Senators who work hard in the Senate, and I would like to continue to do so, so I am leaning towards option 4.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2004, 06:30:03 PM »

The Office of the Attorney General Webpage has been updated with all recent amendments to the Constitution. The Statute thread has been updated with all information relevant to the Constitutionality of Laws.

All questions on these matters should be placed in this thread to avoid cluttering the statute thread.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2004, 07:15:16 PM »

Official Guidance from the Office of the AG[/u]
Organized Parties

The information discussed in this post relates to the provisions of Article II Section 2 Clause 3, the Organized Parties Amendment and the Miscellany Act Section 3.

The only benefit that is conferred upon an Organized Party at this time is that it has the ability to select a new Presidential candidate in the event that both its Vice Presidential and Presidential candidate are able to run for election between 3 and 7 days before the election. Before 7 days before the elections a ticket can simply "file" new nomination papers that cancel the last papers.

For a Party to be recognised as Organized, it must meet two criteria:
1. It must have either 5 members (who should be registered with the Office of Forum Affairs) or have an elected official at any level of the Atlasian government.
2. It must have a party platform, of at least 200 words in length and must address germane issues.

I will never require a party to produce a platform for official inspection, nor will I check to see if it has 5 members or an elected official unless that party is seeking to change its Presidential ticket between 3 and 7 days before the elections.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2004, 07:24:33 PM »

Official Guidance from the Office of the AG
Absentee Voting

In the event that you are unable to vote on the days of a federal election for whatever reason, then you may apply for an absentee ballot.

This should be done after the candidacy filing deadline (which is 7 days before the election). You should indicate your intent to vote by absentee ballot in the sticky thread that will be created for this purpose. You do not need to publically post your vote on the forum, but are required to email your ballot to the Attorney General, Secretary of Forum Affairs and Chief Justice of the Supreme Court. Email addresses for these persons will be supplied in the sticky thread.

The candidacy filing deadline for the coming election is Friday 3rd December at 00:00. A sticky thread will be created for the purpose of answering questions and for application for absentee ballots.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2004, 08:32:35 PM »

Official Guidance from the Office of the AG
Absentee Voting

In the event that you are unable to vote on the days of a federal election for whatever reason, then you may apply for an absentee ballot.

This should be done after the candidacy filing deadline (which is 7 days before the election). You should indicate your intent to vote by absentee ballot in the sticky thread that will be created for this purpose. You do not need to publically post your vote on the forum, but are required to email your ballot to the Attorney General, Secretary of Forum Affairs and Chief Justice of the Supreme Court. Email addresses for these persons will be supplied in the sticky thread.

The candidacy filing deadline for the coming election is Friday 3rd December at 00:00. A sticky thread will be created for the purpose of answering questions and for application for absentee ballots.

This is the job of the Secretary of Forum Affairs, not the Attorney General.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2004, 08:39:35 PM »

See, we have a power mad AG who, now that he's been thwarted in running roughshod over the Regions, is now trying to take over the Cabinet!  Smiley
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2004, 09:44:03 PM »

Also, I believe the Attorney General needs to move out of the Senate debate like the Supreme Court Justices. His job is to stand up for government bills if they ever get questioned by the court and if he is opposed to a bill in question, it provides just as much bias as if a Justice had a fixed opinion on it.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2004, 05:16:29 AM »

Also, I believe the Attorney General needs to move out of the Senate debate like the Supreme Court Justices. His job is to stand up for government bills if they ever get questioned by the court and if he is opposed to a bill in question, it provides just as much bias as if a Justice had a fixed opinion on it.

I'm not bound by a particular code of ethics unlike judicial officers when it comes to legislative debate - many a (real) Attorney General have involved themselves in the debate. I don't think I've come out against a bill in the past, and certainly not a government bill (mostly because there have been none), the only time I really pass comment on a bill is to advise the Senate as to the Constitutionality of a Bill it has proposed. My job as Attorney General does not mean I am just a legal advisor to the Executive, but ALSO to the Legislative - they are free to ask me questions in that capacity, and I consider myself duty bound to answer them.

The only reason I particularly involved myself in the Miscellany Bill debate was that it was actually MY legislative proposal which I had passed onto the PPT, and he then introduced. If I think a Bill is unconstitutional - I tell the Senate, its part of my duty - If they still insist on passing it, I'll still defend it to the best of my ability in Court, but I cannot remain permenantly silent as unconstitutional bills fly by on the basis that they might one day come to Court.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Not that its particularly a big issue, but that post was actually immediately communicated to the SoFA to see what he wanted to do about it. I simply posted it as advice - I'm not going to do the duties of other cabinet secretaries unless there is a good reason to need to do so.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2004, 06:58:57 PM »

I was recently contacted by a citizen privately with a question. I think it an important enough issue that I answer it publically so that everybody can see why I have taken the decision I have.

Question: Could you tell me why the Fed Activity Act, 3rd Boss abortion act, and the death penalty abolition act are unconstitutional.

Federal Activity Act
This Act was rendered unconstitutional by the Texasgurl v. Fritz decision; Read the decision for the Court's reasoning. There has been no section of recent amendments that overcome the unconstitutionality of the Act under the decision rendered.

3rd Boss Abortion Act and Death Penalty Abolition Act
The majority of laws were rendered unconstitutional by the Fritz v. Ernest decision. The majority of these were fixed by the recent Senate Powers Amendment; However, no power was granted to regulate abortion, nor was power to regulate the method of punishment, on any scale, of the Regions.

The Death Penalty Abolition Act is applied to all federal sentences however. There are more technical reasons also interwoven in my decision regarding the Third Boss Abortion Act regarding the assumed parallel between the US and Atlasia, and therefore the Roe v. Wade and Stenberg v. Carhart decisions. Neither of these decisions are yet to be contradicted by either our Constitution or any SC ruling, therefore in applying these rulings to the particular act, i found them prima facie unconstitutional.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2004, 06:40:38 PM »

Because I want to know whether I should bother maintaining the thread:

Does anybody use the Status of Bills Thread?

I do. I want to thank you for making it because I check it often.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2004, 09:09:28 AM »

The New Senate Session begins at noon 7th January, 2005.

There are about three and a half weeks to go until this date. Also note that Christmas and the New Year occur between now and then.

There are presently 14 pieces of legislation on the status thread. This is frankly a ridiculous amount of work for the Senate to consider over the time allotted given the holiday season. In order to resolve the crisis that we had last time where votes were left open as the session ended, I will be tracking the progress of the Senate carefully to avoid this.

As preventitive measures, could the PPT and VP not open votes once we are in the New Year, as these votes are entitled to run for 7 days and therefore would span into the next session and be invalid. Also, any legislation that has the votes necessary to pass, must have an OVERT act of transmittal to the President before the  7th January, unless it is an SPR or Amendment.

Thanks for your time.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2004, 07:07:35 AM »
« Edited: December 22, 2004, 07:10:34 AM by Peter Bell »

This is a notice regarding arrangements for Christmas and the New Year.

The Office of the Attorney General will only be offering a partial service over Christmas and the New Year.

Updates to the Bills Status Thread will occur as follows:
Normal daily updates up to and including 22nd December
Update on 28th December
Update on 30th December
Update on 2nd January, 2005.
Normal daily updates from 4th January, 2005.

I have no idea what the PPT or VP are going to do about keeping the Senate open/closed over the holiday season. It would be useful if their intentions are made public from a simple planning perspective.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2004, 07:14:26 AM »

Fellow Citizens,

The Office of the Attorney General has shutdown for Christmas and will re-open on Tuesday 28th December, 2005. (i.e. I probably won't check the forum that much between now and then)

All routine administration such as maintenance of the status thread and adding new legislation to the statute thread will be carried out after Christmas. Should there be an urgent need of me over Christmas because of some forum emergency, I will do something about it if I am aware of it; Chances are, that I won't be though.

The Attorney General wishes you a very Merry Christmas.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies