CA: Survey USA: Whitman leads Brown by 7
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:08:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2010 Elections
  2010 Gubernatorial Election Polls
  CA: Survey USA: Whitman leads Brown by 7
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: CA: Survey USA: Whitman leads Brown by 7  (Read 4454 times)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2010, 02:29:17 PM »

in California where the Asian population is relatively entrenched in the state (going back a long time)

You're going to have to explain this one.
Dgov
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2010, 05:06:31 PM »

in California where the Asian population is relatively entrenched in the state (going back a long time)

You're going to have to explain this one.

Basically, Asians have been in California for a long time.  Unlike in other states where they're usually recent immigrants or at least new to that particular area, Asian immigration in California started in the mid-19th century, and although it stopped (Chinese exclusion act), it also picked up again post-WWII.  Basically, most Californian Asians are at least 2nd or third generation, and probably more than that, so they're far more likely to vote than Asians in say, Georgia.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2010, 08:19:36 AM »
« Edited: September 13, 2010, 08:22:10 AM by brittain33 »

Basically, most Californian Asians are at least 2nd or third generation, and probably more than that, so they're far more likely to vote than Asians in say, Georgia.

I think this greatly underestimates the volume of recent (post-1960s) immigration as a share of the total.

I'm not from California, but I recall growing up assuming that most of my native-English-speaking Chinese-American classmates were descendants of people who built the railroads in California 120+ years earlier, but no, mostly their parents had gone to college in Taiwan or China and come over in the 1970s and early 1980s. And in California, you have enormous Filipino, Korean, Vietnamese, Hmong, and South Asian populations that necessarily post-date WWII.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies