New York.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 01:20:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  New York.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14
Author Topic: New York.  (Read 35253 times)
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: October 10, 2010, 10:50:29 PM »

cinyc, isn't "deviant" a little stronger than "weird"? I mean, I can think the guy across the street is "weird" without judging that he is doing something wrong. But "deviant" suggests that there is a "correct" path and the person is somehow deviating from that, and therefore wrong. Does that make sense?

Perhaps it's a little bit stronger, but not really by much.  "Weird" also implies that there is an accepted, ordinary set of behaviors and your neighbor's behavior is out of the ordinary.

It doesn't even necessarily suggest a condemnation of that behavior though. I love a lot of weird things (see screen-name) although, admittedly, I would not say that I tend to love Hasidic Jews.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #226 on: October 10, 2010, 10:58:39 PM »

I don't see this situation as confusing.  Paladino is a bigot who should and will lose in NY.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #227 on: October 11, 2010, 11:17:51 AM »

Funny how PC "tolerance" dictates "tolerance" for gays but Hasidic Jews are fair game, as are other religious folks.  That comment is just as bad as Paladino's.

I don't think Eraserhead's comment would be appropriate from a candidate for Governor of New York.

I don't concern myself with what Carl Paladino and loads of other people like him think about gays, no matter how malicious and ignorant it is, because I can't control what others think or what they say. But when you run for office, there's a higher standard. I'm not fit to be governor of New York and neither is Carl Paladino.

If you want to defend him, do so on the merits, not in comparison with comments on a forum.

Between this and the Nazi reenactor, I'm not sure what a Republican has to do for you not to reflexively defend him against the true bad people on the other side who want to tear him down. I find this "my team, right or wrong" approach boring and intellectually dishonest.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #228 on: October 11, 2010, 11:20:53 AM »

Between this and the Nazi reenactor, I'm not sure what a Republican has to do for you not to reflexively defend him against the true bad people on the other side who want to tear him down. I find this "my team, right or wrong" approach boring and intellectually dishonest.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2010/09/why-people-pontificate.html
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #229 on: October 11, 2010, 11:47:57 AM »

Cuomo is now an anti-semite, according to Carl

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/team_paladino_eyes_anti_semite_smear_g6WiFA1909EylVizfvUQrI
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #230 on: October 11, 2010, 11:50:22 AM »

http://capitaltonight.com/2010/10/paladino-website-hacked/
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #231 on: October 11, 2010, 01:26:13 PM »

Funny how PC "tolerance" dictates "tolerance" for gays but Hasidic Jews are fair game, as are other religious folks.  That comment is just as bad as Paladino's.

I don't think Eraserhead's comment would be appropriate from a candidate for Governor of New York.

I don't concern myself with what Carl Paladino and loads of other people like him think about gays, no matter how malicious and ignorant it is, because I can't control what others think or what they say. But when you run for office, there's a higher standard. I'm not fit to be governor of New York and neither is Carl Paladino.

If you want to defend him, do so on the merits, not in comparison with comments on a forum.

I never defended what Paladino said here.  I just don't like how people disrespect those of religious faith.  I'm pretty sure I've said that before, to much derision.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #232 on: October 11, 2010, 02:01:29 PM »

http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2010/09/why-people-pontificate.html

Whatever.  There are many on this forum with red avatars who attack anyone who dares to defend Republicans.  They would like to turn this into a kinder, gentler DU, where Rethuglicans are always wrong, no matter what.  If you just read the titles of most topics, Republicans are "extreme" or "insane", while virtually no Democrats ever are.  The idiot South Carolina Democrats voted to run for Senate is just harmless lol stuff; O'Donnell is the anti-Christ.  Sins of Rethuglican candidates get magnified and discussed; sins of Democratic candidates, even if posted, are widely ignored.

I'd have been concerned about the Republican candidate from Toledo if the only historical reenactments military group of which he were a member was the SS group.  But he has been involved in other reenactments, on the US side.   Historical military reenactments may not be my cup of tea, but a Congressional candidate is allowed to have an interest in military history and tactics.  Studying or reenacting Nazi military tactics doesn't automatically make one a Nazi - despite partisan attacks to the contrary.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #233 on: October 11, 2010, 03:00:21 PM »

Whatever.  There are many on this forum with red avatars who attack anyone who dares to defend Republicans.  They would like to turn this into a kinder, gentler DU, where Rethuglicans are always wrong, no matter what.  If you just read the titles of most topics, Republicans are "extreme" or "insane", while virtually no Democrats ever are.  The idiot South Carolina Democrats voted to run for Senate is just harmless lol stuff; O'Donnell is the anti-Christ.  Sins of Rethuglican candidates get magnified and discussed; sins of Democratic candidates, even if posted, are widely ignored.

I'd have been concerned about the Republican candidate from Toledo if the only historical reenactments military group of which he were a member was the SS group.  But he has been involved in other reenactments, on the US side.   Historical military reenactments may not be my cup of tea, but a Congressional candidate is allowed to have an interest in military history and tactics.  Studying or reenacting Nazi military tactics doesn't automatically make one a Nazi - despite partisan attacks to the contrary.

Few things.

First off Paladino prepared horrible bigoted remarks, period.  That crap just can't be defended, period.  No one has really suggested O'Donnell is the antichrist, but she has some extremely insane views.  As far as Alving Greene being armless, well of course its a joke that someone like Greene got dominated.  Its beyond pathetic, that someone like him got the nomination.  However, throw in going up against a bigoted pile of extreme trash who represents everything that is wrong with politics today in Demint, then well he gets viewed as harmless.   Also its not just Democrats and those on the left slamming Iott, high ranking Republicans have as well..  Cantor just tore into him.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #234 on: October 11, 2010, 03:15:19 PM »

Few things.

First off Paladino prepared horrible bigoted remarks, period.  That crap just can't be defended, period.  No one has really suggested O'Donnell is the antichrist, but she has some extremely insane views.  As far as Alving Greene being armless, well of course its a joke that someone like Greene got dominated.  Its beyond pathetic, that someone like him got the nomination.  However, throw in going up against a bigoted pile of extreme trash who represents everything that is wrong with politics today in Demint, then well he gets viewed as harmless.   Also its not just Democrats and those on the left slamming Iott, high ranking Republicans have as well..  Cantor just tore into him.

For what it's worth, the Paladino campaign claims the rabbis put the most offensive line in the draft speech and Paladino didn't deliver it because he didn't agree with it.  It seems bizarre that Rabbis are writing his speeches, but whatever.  The comments Paladino actually delivered were politically damaging enough for someone running in a blue state like New York.  He should have just said he opposes gay marriage and left it at that.

To a conservative like me, Senator DeMint is far from everything that is wrong with politics today.  Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid and Barack Obama are everything that's wrong with politics today - big government liberals that are bankrupting this country with wasteful spending and ridiculous mandates.  They are the ones with the extreme views - forcing people to buy things they neither want nor need, cap-and-tax, stimulus that stimulates their union and government allies but not the economy, etc.   But, of course, only Republicans are extremists.  All Democrats are mainstream.  Congressman Grayson is a freedom fighter who attended Harvard and therefore is smart, while President Bush, who also graduated from Harvard and Yale was a dummy.  Michelle Bachmann is insane and dumb and icky.  Other strong Republican women are called things that are even worse than that.

The only thing the Iott situation tells me is that Kaptur was in trouble and needed to strike back - which doesn't bode well for Democrats in Ohio and the rest of the Midwest.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #235 on: October 11, 2010, 03:28:30 PM »

To a conservative like me, Senator DeMint is far from everything that is wrong with politics today.  Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid and Barack Obama are everything that's wrong with politics today - big government liberals that are bankrupting this country with wasteful spending and ridiculous mandates.  They are the ones with the extreme views - forcing people to buy things they neither want nor need, cap-and-tax, stimulus that stimulates their union and government allies but not the economy, etc.   But, of course, only Republicans are extremists.  All Democrats are mainstream.  Congressman Grayson is a freedom fighter who attended Harvard and therefore is smart, while President Bush, who also graduated from Harvard and Yale was a dummy.  Michelle Bachmann is insane and dumb and icky.  Other strong Republican women are called things that are even worse than that.

Keep building those straw men. It's especially ironic coming from one of the biggest Republican hacks on the forum.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #236 on: October 11, 2010, 04:25:49 PM »

Few things.

For what it's worth, the Paladino campaign claims the rabbis put the most offensive line in the draft speech and Paladino didn't deliver it because he didn't agree with it.  It seems bizarre that Rabbis are writing his speeches, but whatever.  The comments Paladino actually delivered were politically damaging enough for someone running in a blue state like New York.  He should have just said he opposes gay marriage and left it at that.

The only thing the Iott situation tells me is that Kaptur was in trouble and needed to strike back - which doesn't bode well for Democrats in Ohio and the rest of the Midwest.

Ahh yes so Paladino claims...   And he handed that out because??  Oh wait he blames someone else for that also.  This is just like the whole Cuomo affair thing in which he talked about for a bit then backed away from after ignoring requests for any evidence to back it up, then threw in those snide remarks in his little 3 minute ad.

The comparisons of Demint's heinously bigoted remarks to health care & the Stimulus, please.  Seriously get a grip, you are taking hackery to a whole new level.

As far as the iott Nazi crap, how is it a sign of desperation?  First off Kaptur's campaign had nothing to do with the release, secondly the race wasn't even competitive prior to the release.  Not to mention, high profile Republicans such as Cantor have blasted Iott for Nazi dress up.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #237 on: October 11, 2010, 04:44:47 PM »

And, in his attempted damage control, Paladino goes for the Atlas-style adjectives-as-nouns!

http://empire.wnyc.org/2010/10/paladino-on-good-morning-america/

(I realize that it's possible he just said "I'm not, uh, homophobic", and there was a mistake in transcription, but I still thought it was funny.)
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #238 on: October 11, 2010, 04:53:32 PM »

Ahh yes so Paladino claims...   And he handed that out because??  Oh wait he blames someone else for that also.  This is just like the whole Cuomo affair thing in which he talked about for a bit then backed away from after ignoring requests for any evidence to back it up, then threw in those snide remarks in his little 3 minute ad.

The comparisons of Demint's heinously bigoted remarks to health care & the Stimulus, please.  Seriously get a grip, you are taking hackery to a whole new level.

As far as the iott Nazi crap, how is it a sign of desperation?  First off Kaptur's campaign had nothing to do with the release, secondly the race wasn't even competitive prior to the release.  Not to mention, high profile Republicans such as Cantor have blasted Iott for Nazi dress up.

I can only report what Paladino says.  You can decide whether it's credible.  I don't buy the "the rabbis wrote it" excuse at all - it makes no sense.  Yet I do buy that they handed out the text of the prepared speech and Paladino didn't say it because he didn't believe it.

I still think Paladino is engaging in an "I'm rubber, you're glue" strategy with Cuomo, trying to get him to blow up and show his true colors.  Cuomo is a career politician who is better at hiding it.  But Cuomo is supposedly just as much of a hot head behind closed doors as Paladino.

What DeMint "heinously bigoted remarks" are you referring to?   Liberals hate DeMint - always have, always will, because he is an unabashed conservative.  Anything he says is always supposedly extreme and bigoted.  

If you believe the Kaptur campaign and/or DCCC had nothing to do with the release, I have a bridge to sell you.  Op research dumps seldomly just spontaneously appear in the partisan press, like the Atlantic or National Review.  How do you know the race wasn't even competitive before the release?  I've seen no polling of OH-09 - even internals.   And I really don't care what "high profile Republicans" have to say.  I am fully capable of forming my own opinions without them.  Does playing Nazi dress-up look good politically?  Of course not.  Does it mean that you're a Nazi?  Not necessarily, especially if you've also played American WW I soldier dress-up and Confederate soldier dress-up as part of a valid hobby.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #239 on: October 11, 2010, 04:57:05 PM »

And, in his attempted damage control, Paladino goes for the Atlas-style adjectives-as-nouns!

http://empire.wnyc.org/2010/10/paladino-on-good-morning-america/

(I realize that it's possible he just said "I'm not, uh, homophobic", and there was a mistake in transcription, but I still thought it was funny.)

I saw this and instantly thought the same!
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #240 on: October 11, 2010, 05:04:16 PM »

What DeMint "heinously bigoted remarks" are you referring to?   Liberals hate DeMint - always have, always will, because he is an unabashed conservative.  Anything he says is always supposedly extreme and bigoted.

Arguing that gay people and single mothers should not teach in public schools is extreme and bigoted, no matter how hard you try and rationalize it.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #241 on: October 11, 2010, 05:19:47 PM »

Arguing that gay people and single mothers should not teach in public schools is extreme and bigoted, no matter how hard you try and rationalize it.

Ding Ding Ding.

When you open your mouth and extremist bigoted rhetoric comes out, you are going to be rightfully called an extremist and a bigot....
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #242 on: October 11, 2010, 05:26:02 PM »

He's wrong, but I don't think DeMint's views on that are all that extreme in South Carolina.  About 30% of Americans still believe that gays shouldn't teach, largely older folks, according to Pew in 2009.  I suspect that skews Southern as well as older.  

DeMint would never be elected in New York - but he's not running in New York.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #243 on: October 11, 2010, 05:49:07 PM »

He's wrong, but I don't think DeMint's views on that are all that extreme in South Carolina.  About 30% of Americans still believe that gays shouldn't teach, largely older folks, according to Pew in 2009.  I suspect that skews Southern as well as older.  

DeMint would never be elected in New York - but he's not running in New York.

Just because people in South Carolina may agree with him doesn't make those comments and less extreme or bigoted.   Plenty of people can have extremist or bigoted views.  Anyway I only brought up Demint because of you bringing up Greene and getting a pass.  The reason he gets that pass is due to the vile garbage he is running against.

Anyway back to the topic on hand, Paladino is a bigot, plain and simple.  His comments and what he released is simply garbage.  No excuses for that type of garbage, that crap can't be defended no matter how much you may try.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #244 on: October 11, 2010, 05:51:48 PM »

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/the-10-dumbest-carl-paladino-quotes
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

« Reply #245 on: October 12, 2010, 01:06:47 PM »

He's New York's Dan Quayle, apparently.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #246 on: October 12, 2010, 04:23:36 PM »

Paladino actually ran an ad on NYC over-the-air TV.  It's the first commercial that I've seen for a New York Republican since the primary - when I saw a whopping 2 ads, both from Malpass for Senate.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #247 on: October 12, 2010, 11:23:02 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/user/StateofPolitics#p/a/u/1/Uos4rxQA4wU

wow, he's flip flopped on civil unions and said that hate crimes against gays should have their penalties doubled
Frink
Lafayette53
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -6.17

« Reply #248 on: October 13, 2010, 10:40:08 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/user/StateofPolitics#p/a/u/1/Uos4rxQA4wU

wow, he's flip flopped on civil unions and said that hate crimes against gays should have their penalties doubled

Whats hes down by now..?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #249 on: October 13, 2010, 08:07:51 PM »

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/paladino_pressured_by_family_to_mZKon4FsHsRbhPTNyW1dbO
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies