What do you think Obama's religion is?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 07:50:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  What do you think Obama's religion is?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Poll
Question: What do you think Obama's religion is?
Muslim

Christian

Atheist

Something Else

Don't Know

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 91

Author Topic: What do you think Obama's religion is?  (Read 15217 times)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2010, 07:27:08 AM »

It is interesting that after more than 18 months in office, on a site with a majority of Obama supporters, we cannot answer this question.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2010, 09:01:36 AM »

It is interesting that after more than 18 months in office, on a site with a majority of Obama supporters, we cannot answer this question.

Interesting, but I just don't think anyone cares, J.J.  I know I don't.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2010, 12:27:47 PM »

This seems most likely.  I think Obama would join any religion or house of worship that gave him the most political advantage at any given time.

^^^

Why would he join a Black Supremacist Church if he only joined a chuch for political gain?
Semaphore
Rookie
« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2010, 07:31:10 PM »

I don't know, but it's apparently so much more fascinating and important than how he plans to fix the economy and deal with all of the other problems that this country has been plagued with.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2010, 08:25:14 PM »

Interesting, but I just don't think anyone cares, J.J.  I know I don't.

There I disagree. 

I can tell you the religious affiliation of every President from Ford to G W Bush, because I knew it at the time.  It told me something about them; it helped me understand them.

I had assumed Obama has re-affiliated; he hasn't.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2010, 01:33:07 AM »

Uh, so? I don't have membership in any church and as far as I know the ones I have gone to don't even keep membership rolls. That means even someone who went to one regularly (unlike me) wouldn't be affiliated with any denomination.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #56 on: August 26, 2010, 01:58:03 AM »

Looks like the majority of the forum think he is
what he says he is--a Christian.

I personally wish he were were an atheist or
agnostic, but I think he is a Christian.  Pity.

Breaking News: Every politician shares the same
religious affiliation.  It's actually called:
"Whatever-It-Takes-To-Get-Me-Elected-ism"
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2010, 05:03:01 PM »
« Edited: August 26, 2010, 05:09:01 PM by Thomas D »

A few days ago I emailed one of my best friends (who has no interest in politics) and asked him what he thought of the Islamic Center in New York. He replayed by saying Obama was a Muslim and that he was trying to turn America into a Muslim nation.

And I thought to myself: "Oh no. They got to you too."
Sasquatch

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -8.52

« Reply #58 on: August 26, 2010, 09:52:40 PM »

He probably doesn't care about religion, but has to pretend to be a Jesus Freak or else the Amuricans will freak out.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2010, 01:00:51 AM »

He's probably an agnostic or a deist...
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #60 on: September 02, 2010, 02:34:59 PM »

why do so many people here think he's an athiest?

J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2010, 02:45:52 PM »

Well, he doesn't appear to be an observant Muslim. 

For me, last Sunday in the NBC interview he was asked flat out if he was a Christian.  He did not give a flat out answer, yes.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2010, 02:49:19 PM »

Option 6:  Don't care.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #63 on: September 02, 2010, 05:08:13 PM »

Christian, at least nominally.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #64 on: September 03, 2010, 09:49:07 AM »

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #65 on: September 04, 2010, 05:01:47 PM »

For me, last Sunday in the NBC interview he was asked flat out if he was a Christian.  He did not give a flat out answer, yes.

are you referring to this? http://www.newsweek.com/blogs/the-gaggle/2010/08/30/in-nbc-interview-obama-again-dismisses-belief-that-he-s-a-muslim.html watch the video for five seconds. i think he's clear enough.
perdedor

« Reply #66 on: September 04, 2010, 06:37:20 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22767392/

That sounds pretty clear to me. Here's a simple experiment: next time someone tells you that the believe Obama to be a Muslim, ask them why. I'm willing to bet that they will make a complete ass of themselves trying to explain that position.
xavier110
United States
« Reply #67 on: September 04, 2010, 06:51:09 PM »

This seems most likely.  I think Obama would join any religion or house of worship that gave him the most political advantage at any given time.

^^^

Why would he join a Black Supremacist Church if he only joined a chuch for political gain?

Close connections to Chicago's black community?

I agree with the above.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #68 on: September 04, 2010, 07:52:49 PM »

Eh...probably Christian.

Not that I care or anything.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #69 on: September 04, 2010, 11:28:12 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22767392/

That sounds pretty clear to me. Here's a simple experiment: next time someone tells you that the believe Obama to be a Muslim, ask them why. I'm willing to bet that they will make a complete ass of themselves trying to explain that position.

You'll note that he is no longer a member of that church, nor was that the interview to which I was referring.

I assumed he would re-affiliate; he didn't.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #70 on: September 05, 2010, 12:41:41 AM »

So no one can be a Christian if they are not a formal member of a church?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #71 on: September 05, 2010, 12:51:42 AM »

Of course, but the quote that was used was, "I've been to the same church _ the same Christian church _ for almost 20 years."   He is now not a member of that church.

So, Obama was asked directly by Brian Williams and I expected a straight forward answer, like **Yes, I am a Christian.**  Obama didn't answer the question.

So, my answer for now is, I don't know what Obama's religion is (though I doubt he's Muslim).
perdedor

« Reply #72 on: September 05, 2010, 08:27:37 AM »

Of course, but the quote that was used was, "I've been to the same church _ the same Christian church _ for almost 20 years."   He is now not a member of that church.

So, Obama was asked directly by Brian Williams and I expected a straight forward answer, like **Yes, I am a Christian.**  Obama didn't answer the question.

So, my answer for now is, I don't know what Obama's religion is (though I doubt he's Muslim).

So a man attends a Christian church for 20 years and when he chooses not to go that particular church anymore, your assumption is that he's dropped the entire Christian faith until he mentions otherwise? That's a rather foolish and presumptuous, wouldn't you agree? Would it not be more logical too assume that President has better things to do on Sunday than humor desperate, right-wing detractors... especially when considering the magnitude of his predecessor's failures as President? If Obama says he's been a Christian for 20 years, then that's good enough for me until he mentions something to the contrary.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #73 on: September 05, 2010, 08:50:52 AM »

So a man attends a Christian church for 20 years and when he chooses not to go that particular church anymore, your assumption is that he's dropped the entire Christian faith until he mentions otherwise? That's a rather foolish and presumptuous, wouldn't you agree? Would it not be more logical too assume that President has better things to do on Sunday than humor desperate, right-wing detractors... especially when considering the magnitude of his predecessor's failures as President? If Obama says he's been a Christian for 20 years, then that's good enough for me until he mentions something to the contrary.

People have. 

I was a member, officially, of a particular denomination for 20 years, and left.  So did my parents, at different times; they left the one I joined.  (I think Ronald Reagan did as well, as did GWB.)

It would have been good enough for me, if he currently was:

1.  A member of the same church.

2.  Had affiliated with another church in the same denomination.

3.  Joined another denomination.

It also would have been good enough if had say "Christian, but not denominational."  He didn't.

Logically, the correct answer is, we don't know, even if we to take his word for it.  We cannot take Obama's word for it, because Obama is not giving it.
perdedor

« Reply #74 on: September 05, 2010, 09:23:35 AM »

People have. 

I was a member, officially, of a particular denomination for 20 years, and left.  So did my parents, at different times; they left the one I joined.  (I think Ronald Reagan did as well, as did GWB.)

It would have been good enough for me, if he currently was:

1.  A member of the same church.

2.  Had affiliated with another church in the same denomination.

3.  Joined another denomination.

It also would have been good enough if had say "Christian, but not denominational."  He didn't.

Logically, the correct answer is, we don't know, even if we to take his word for it.  We cannot take Obama's word for it, because Obama is not giving it.

You were "officially" affiliated with a denomination? How does that work? Did you have to fill out a form or simply divulge your feelings on religion in an interview with Brian Williams to comfort those whose business it is not? Secondly, good enough for you? I would think that one's level of faith is determined by what they consider "good enough" for the deity of their choosing and not what's good enough for political junkies (such as yourself and I) and people who hang teabags from their hats and accuse the President of being several diametrically opposed ideologies at once. In short, perhaps the President's religion is none of our business and is a non-issue either way. This is the most likely explanation of why he hasn't held a joint press conference with Jesus.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies