What Book Are You Currently Reading? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:27:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate
  Book Reviews and Discussion (Moderator: Torie)
  What Book Are You Currently Reading? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What Book Are You Currently Reading?  (Read 399837 times)
Lurker
Norway
« on: November 05, 2013, 03:34:58 PM »

Now that you mention it, this is true among people who I know as well. I don't know why that might be and I don't particularly feel qualified to theorize about it. It's definitely strange. Murakami's women have always struck me as very female-as-baffling-other-as-seen-by-self-absorbed-straight-male, especially in Sputnik Sweetheart, which one might think wouldn't have this problem but which, if it was intended not to, backfired horribly.

I haven't read Murakami myself, but I also know many women who love his books. Could the answer be that Murakami actually understands women better than you think (or, understand them better than you do?)? Obviously, that may be totally wrong - and not having read his books I can't tell - but I kind of doubt that a writer with such a poor understanding of women could have such a large female fan base.
Lurker
Norway
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 05:38:21 PM »
« Edited: November 05, 2013, 05:40:10 PM by Lurker »

Interesting. I really should read some Murakami.

Extremely impressive that you can understand the original versions of Japanese litterature, Nathan - how did you learn the language so well?

Also, I have to say this thread is quite impressive too. Seems like the Atlas is very high-brow when it comes to litterature, to put it mildly (not that I would have expected many Dan Brown or El James fans to show up here).
Lurker
Norway
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 04:16:58 PM »

I'm always impressed/surprised how (very!) "highbrow" this forum is in its reading habits. Though of course those reading high-brow litterature are probably more likely to post about it here
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies