What Book Are You Currently Reading? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:45:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate
  Book Reviews and Discussion (Moderator: Torie)
  What Book Are You Currently Reading? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What Book Are You Currently Reading?  (Read 400227 times)
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« on: August 15, 2012, 06:15:56 PM »

The Odyssey for college. I had all summer to read it and with six days left I've read about 60 pages.

Wait, what?  You have summer reading in college?
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 10:40:20 PM »
« Edited: August 18, 2012, 10:44:47 PM by patrick1 »

The Odyssey for college. I had all summer to read it and with six days left I've read about 60 pages.

Wait, what?  You have summer reading in college?

I'm about to attend one of the most difficult colleges in the country where it is mandatory to write a thorough and original thesis for you undergrad. I can't believe I used to be proud of myself for receiving an acceptance letter from this den of academic sadism...

@Tweed it's for a class (which is basically Reed's signature as an institution) that all freshman are required to take so I can't get out of it. I'd much rather be reading Crime and Punishment or the latest Yanis Varoufakis book.

Interesting.  I had a mandatory 20 credits of Development of Western Civ. They had us read Iliad and Odyssey and C&P but it was more of read this by X date when they gave you the syllabus.

Best of luck and enjoy yourself.  It does seem stressful at the time but looking back you will likely miss it immensely.

Oh, I dusted off an old collection of the Harvard Classics.  Jumped into The Imitation of Christ. I don't think its working.....
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 06:20:53 PM »

The Red Scarf Girl by Ji-Li Jiang, a memoir of a child growing up during China's Cultural Revolution between 1966-76.

EDIT:  I finished this book today.  I read it because I am going to teach a contemporary Chinese culture course soon, and am starting my coverage in the Cultural Revolution.  The book is mostly representative of the "scar literature" gene of the period.  But for those who have not read personal memoirs of the CR, I would highly recommend this book.  It is terribly depressing, especially because it comes from the perspective of someone who was a child at the time, but it has very, very valuable lessons.  It's not a hard read, but it's a difficult one; you will not want to find out what happens at the beginning of the next chapter as you make your way through it, but, if interested in 20th century China, please read it.  It puts a lot about China today, and our own blown-out-of-purportion political experience, very much in perspective.

Thanks for the recommendation.  For such an important event, I realize that I know almost nothing about the cultural revolution.  My only real exposure is from the incredibly depressing Xiu Xiu: The Sent down girl and the snippets from The Red Violin.   Maybe I'll audit your class Wink

Just started reading some Cavalli-Sforza books on human population genetics.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies