What Book Are You Currently Reading? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:20:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate
  Book Reviews and Discussion (Moderator: Torie)
  What Book Are You Currently Reading? (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: What Book Are You Currently Reading?  (Read 397077 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« on: October 26, 2010, 06:08:20 PM »

Atlas Shrugged
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 07:49:36 AM »

oh, you're like clay to be molded.  Don't take this forum so seriously.

By the way, once you get past the first five hundred pages, it actually starts to get interesting.  You'll fly right through next five hudred pages. 

1) What makes you think I'm a clay to be molded? I don't agree with everything in the book. It's not like I'm going to convert to atheist/objectivism, and tell William Buckley he's "much too intelligent to believe in God".

2)You're right abour the first five hundred pages. I'm on page six-hundred-something, and it's a heck of a lot more interesting than some of the incredibly boring back story and stuff that you read in the first five hundred pages.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 02:04:57 PM »

By the way, once you get past the first five hundred pages, it actually starts to get interesting.  You'll fly right through next five hudred pages. 

1) What makes you think I'm a clay to be molded? I don't agree with everything in the book. It's not like I'm going to convert to atheist/objectivism, and tell William Buckley he's "much too intelligent to believe in God".

2)You're right abour the first five hundred pages. I'm on page six-hundred-something, and it's a heck of a lot more interesting than some of the incredibly boring back story and stuff that you read in the first five hundred pages.

I said that to a friend one time about twenty years ago, that stuff about the last five hundred pages being more interesting than the first five hundred, and he laughed, like I was joking. Like, how can a book be a thousand pages long.  Anyway, I got into Ayn Rand after I found out she was one of Niel Peart's influences.  I was a big RUSH fan back in high school and college.

I was just ribbing you about being easily influenced, and I meant more by the posts of the posters on this forum than by any book. 

I actually started reading this book before I ever heard anyone outside of my dad mention it. He brought it home one day from like the salvation army or a garage sale. I only read a couple of pages, then I pikced it up about a jonth or two ago and decided to keep reading.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 08:17:30 AM »

I'll still read Atlas Shrugged, but I've recently received Life by Keith Richards, so I'll be reading that too.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 03:23:04 PM »

Me?  I just started another Tony Hillerman novel, Hunting Badger. 

when Dagny Taggart had sex with John Galt I could no longer pretend to take the whole thing seriously.

I haven't reached that part yet...Sad
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 08:42:33 PM »

I hated that book!
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 09:17:42 PM »

I've got a lot on my reading plate also, but it doesn't include Saul Alinsky. this is a recap of stuff I've posted previously as well as other books:
The Choice by Bob Woodward (almost half-way)
Atlas Shruggedby Ayn Rand (over half-way)
Life by Keith Richards (about one fifth or fourth done)
Known and Unknown by Donald Rumsfeld (Like a tenth done)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 08:39:00 PM »

Goldwater, the memoir of Barry Goldwater written by Barry Goldwater and Jack Casserly

Cool. I'd like to read it.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 03:35:10 PM »

Just finished "The Choice" by Bob Woodward yesterday.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 03:39:43 PM »

I had to read that for school. Yet another pointless book that English teachers assign. Tongue
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2011, 07:10:40 PM »

One of the many books I'm currently somewhere in.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2011, 07:56:12 PM »

I'm getting sick of everyone hatin' on neocons!!
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2011, 11:24:58 AM »

I got "Giants: the parallel lives of Frederick Douglas and Abraham Lincoln" for Christmas.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 05:32:56 PM »

Finished "The Godfather" at like 12:30 this morning.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2012, 05:09:36 PM »

My history teacher gave me an extra copy of a Jefferson biography that he was given. One I'm done with "Fear and Loathing: On the Campaign Trail '72" I guess I'll start it.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2012, 08:05:48 AM »

Great Choice! Grin

As for me, I just finished Dr. Thompson's "Fear & Loathing: On the Campaign Trail '72". Now I'm on to a huge book on Thomas Jefferson.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2012, 10:53:29 PM »

Looks awesome.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2012, 09:54:58 PM »

I should read it someday. Apparently it's at my library.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2012, 06:46:10 PM »

Finally finished "Thomas Jefferson: A Life" by Willard Sterne Randall! Wonder what my next reading project will be.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2013, 05:37:21 PM »

Having finished "Return of the King", I've moved onto another great trilogy, "The Divine Comedy" starting with "The Inferno". "The Purgatorio" is located in my room, though I haven't seen "The Paridisio" for a good number of years...
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2013, 06:48:09 PM »

Finished "The Inferno". Hoping to get through at least "The Purgatorio" before Easter, given the holiday around which the entire Comedy happens...
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2013, 08:41:40 PM »

Finished "The Purgatorio" a while ago. I'm in the midst of "The Aeneid" and am struggling to read "The Paradiso".
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2013, 04:06:24 PM »

I read the first two books of "The Iliad" last night. Picked it up at the library today. Among other books I picked out are "The Paradiso" by Dante which I still have yet to finish, "Cancel Your Own Goddam Subscription" by William F. Bucklkey, Jr., and "The Last Temptation of Christ" by Nikos Kazantzakis. I intent on at least finishing "The Paradiso" and the Buckley book before I have to return them.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2013, 07:59:34 AM »

Just finished "The Paradiso", meaning I've completed the entire Divine Comedy.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2013, 08:52:51 AM »

Currently, I'm hoping to complete "The Last Temptation of Christ" before I leave for school on the 20th, which I think is likely. The prospect of also getting through "Paradise Lost" in that time is, however, less likely. I recently finished "The Screwtape Letters", which included in it "Screwtape Proposes a Toast", both of which were fine satires. Makes me want to investigate some of Lewis' more serious works, as well as make a brief return to Narnia for a spell.

A fantastic work. Naturally, "The Inferno" was the most entertaining and was read the quickest. However, I was determined to press on, and "The Purgatorio" was pretty interesting and arriving in the Earthly Paradise was pretty cool. "The Paradiso" dragged on for quite a bit, and at what point I think I returned it to the library before eventually completing it. When I went at it a second time, it was a much easier read, and some of the sights in it--the massive crucifix in Mars, for examples--were amazing. As I neared the end I was reading it more manically. Quite the read, in all.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies