What Book Are You Currently Reading? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 06:24:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate
  Book Reviews and Discussion (Moderator: Torie)
  What Book Are You Currently Reading? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What Book Are You Currently Reading?  (Read 399436 times)
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« on: July 12, 2014, 08:03:44 PM »

A very controversial book to be sure that shatters a bunch of assumptions even I had about the "good ole days".  A few shockers I've already read:

• 1700's Colonial America was a haven of extreme libertinism that scared many of the Founding Fathers sh*tless.  Hell, there was a large scale gay culture emerging amongst the pirates who docked at many early American cities.
  • Slaves were more sexually liberated on their plantations than the vast majority of white Americans were in the 1800s.
  • The richest women in American society in the 19th century were Madams who ran brothels.  Prostitutes who worked for these Madams were also among the top income earners of their time, earning in some cases ten times as much in a week compared to women who worked in factories.
So far, I definitely recommend a read.

Also reading this:

A pretty fascinating read if you are interested in learning about the Irish military diaspora in the Civil War.  Contains some pretty badass stories, including how Abe Lincoln talked down an irate Tyrone man from a duel after insulting his manhood in a local paper.  Also, the story of a man who got shot like eight freakin times and not only lived but walked back several miles back to his camp in the scorching heat!

One of John Meacham's books, I kind of started this one the other week.  Haven't really read that much of it, given my Kindle ADD.  So far it seems to be doing a real good job of depicting Jackson as a morally flawed man who was passionately and zealously devoted to his friends, his family, and his calling.  The kind of balance the author has achieved is impressive, given the subject.

Another Meacham book that I am about 80% done with.  In my opinion this book does a great character analysis of Jefferson that reveals Jefferson for the pragmatic power seeker that he really was.  Many myths are shattered here, like the idea that Jefferson wanted a radical agrarian republic (lol) or even that he was vehemently opposed to economic nationalism.  In my mind the book helps establish Jefferson more as an "opportunistic conservative" who took advantage of the liberal movements of his time to gain greater power for himself and other more moderate upper class Virginian planters of his time.  Basically, he used the power of government and politicking to create an order that helped retain him and his broseths Madison and Monroe in power until the Election of 1824.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies