What Book Are You Currently Reading? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:40:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate
  Book Reviews and Discussion (Moderator: Torie)
  What Book Are You Currently Reading? (search mode)
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: What Book Are You Currently Reading?  (Read 400818 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2013, 01:09:50 AM »

I haven't been doing too much heavy reading lately, but I just finished The Four Agreements by don Miguel Ruiz, and it's surprisingly good and one of the easiest reads possible.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2013, 07:59:32 PM »

intercourse by Andrea Dworkin (in honor of nathan... jk Wink)
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2013, 12:58:14 AM »
« Edited: December 21, 2013, 12:59:56 AM by Beet »

intercourse by Andrea Dworkin (in honor of nathan... jk Wink)

Good Lord, really?

Have you read it? I don't think I can get through it. It's tough to read literature reviews of other books that I have not read. Why do authors do that? Dworkin sees sex (as practiced) as misogynistic. Misogynistic men also see sex as misogynistic. That suggests maybe she's going too far, sure. But she brings ideas that are more complicated than the caricature and are worth examining at least once in your life if you are ever in the mood.

I'm also reading the bluest eye by Toni Morrison- well I finished it.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2013, 07:46:41 PM »

Native Son by Richard Wright. A surprisingly sophomoric book, but it must have been revolutionary in 1940.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2014, 01:47:42 AM »

I've been getting into throwaway fiction recently.

The Crocodile by Maurizio de Giovanni
The Clinic by Jonathan Kellerman
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2014, 04:35:43 PM »

Inquiry into Human Understanding by David Hume
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2015, 06:28:49 AM »

The Glorious Cause by Middlekauf
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2017, 11:13:32 PM »

The ownerless ruin had, before World War Terminus, been tended and maintained. Here had been the suburbs of San Francisco, a short ride by monorail rapid transit; the entire peninsula had been chattered like a bird tree with life and opinions and complaints, and now the watchful owners had either died or migrated to a colony world. Mostly the former; it had been a costly war despite the valiant predictions of the Pentagon and its smug scientific vassal, the Rand Corporation--which had, in fact, existed not far from this spot. Like the apartment owners, the corporation had departed, evidently for good. No one missed it.
In addition, no one today remembered why the war had come about or who, if anyone, had won. The dust which had contaminated most of the planet's surface had originated in no country, and no one, even the wartime enemy, had planned on it. First, the owls had died. At the time it had seemed almost funny, the fat, fluffy white birds lying here and there, in yards and on streets; coming out no earlier than twilight, as they had while alive, the owls escaped notice. Medieval plagues had manifested themselves in a similar way, in the form of many dead rats. This plague, however, had descended from above.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2019, 04:55:52 PM »

Trick Mirror by Jia Tolentino.
Pages: 1 [2]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies