Senator Hunter S. Thompson?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:37:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  Senator Hunter S. Thompson?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Senator Hunter S. Thompson?  (Read 533 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 16, 2012, 09:10:30 PM »

While flipping through the end of "Fear and Loathing: On the Campaign Trail '72" as part of research for a paper on Nixon, I discovered this little bit:

"After two years on The Edge, involuntary reitrement is a hard things to cope with. I tried it for a while, in Woody Creek, but three weeksk without even a hint of crisis left me so nervous that I began gobbling speed and babbling distractedly about running for U.S. Senate in '74. Finally, on the verge of desperation, I took the bush-plane over to Denver for a visit with Gary Hart, McGovern's ex-campaign manager, telling him I couldn't actually put him on the payroll right now, but that I was countin on him to organize Denver for me.

He smile crookedly but refused to commit himself...and later that night I heard, from an extremely reliable source, that Hart was planning to run for Senate himself in 1974.

Why? I wondered. Was it some kind of subliminal, un-focused need to take vengeance on the press?

On me? The first journalist in Christendom to go on record comparing Nixon to Adolph Hitler?

Was Gary so blinded with bile that he would actually run against me in The Primary? Would he risk splitting the "Three A's" vote and maybe sink us both?"

Interesting tidbit I was surprised to find. While in all likelihood, any campaign Thompson went on wouldn't be as successful or as serious as some might like it to be, but suppose we suspend dis-belief and have Thompson run for Senate from Colorado in '74, win the primary and the general (with Hart as his manager, of course) and actually become a Senator?
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 10:07:27 PM »

A Senator Thompson would be...interesting to say the least Wink.  I'm going to try and read some of his books over the summer, but from what I read on Wikipedia, I cringed a bit.  (In terms of his political beliefs, anyway.)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 06:53:58 PM »

A Senator Thompson would be...interesting to say the least Wink.  I'm going to try and read some of his books over the summer, but from what I read on Wikipedia, I cringed a bit.  (In terms of his political beliefs, anyway.)

I don't agree with his beliefs anyway. Rather, what I value is his general attitude or outlook on life, put now on a large scale as a friggin' U.S. Senator. From there, Hell, he could probably try some half-assed presidential bid just so he could write about it. The ultimate sequel to "On the campaign trail '72".
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 09:52:30 PM »

I don't agree with his beliefs anyway. Rather, what I value is his general attitude or outlook on life, put now on a large scale as a friggin' U.S. Senator. From there, Hell, he could probably try some half-assed presidential bid just so he could write about it. The ultimate sequel to "On the campaign trail '72".

My stamp of approval.  Do it!  Wink
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies