Roles Reversed: Would Republicans treat Buchanan, like Democrats treat Nader?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:09:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  Roles Reversed: Would Republicans treat Buchanan, like Democrats treat Nader?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Roles Reversed: Would Republicans treat Buchanan, like Democrats treat Nader?  (Read 3672 times)
Sasquatch

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -8.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 11, 2010, 08:15:48 PM »

Let's imagine that Gore officially "won" Pennsylvania, the deciding state, by 537 votes over Bush. Reform Party candidate Pat Buchanan receives 97,000 votes. Would the Republicans still complain about it 10 years later?

Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 08:18:11 PM »

Establishment Republicans already hate Buchanan even without that having happened.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 08:24:55 PM »

Let's imagine that Gore officially "won" Pennsylvania, the deciding state, by 537 votes over Bush. Reform Party candidate Pat Buchanan receives 97,000 votes. Would the Republicans still complain about it 10 years later?

I think a more realistic scenario would be to have Bush lose FL by several hundred votes. In response to your question, of course the Republicans would be pissed off. However, I think Republicans would be slightly more pissed off if Gore was a two-termer (since then they'd blame him for screwing over our economy) than if he was a one termer.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 09:06:45 AM »

Of course.
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 09:34:06 AM »

Of course
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 09:58:14 AM »

Especially if Gore's brother were gov'r of Florida. If thousands of evangelicals had been mysteriously purged from the voting lists. Et al.
reagan84
Rookie
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 08:54:30 PM »

Buchanan claims that he was a greater spoiler than Nadar on a state by state basis.  Let's take a look at that claim.  The following question was posed:
If Nadar had not been on the ballot, how would you vote?
50% - Gore
30%- Bush
20%- stay home.
As for Buchanan voters, 80-90% would have backed Bush while most of the rest would have stayed home.  Almost none would have supported Gore.
Buchanan likely cost Bush a win in Iowa and Wisconsin (18 EV).  By that I mean Bush wins in a Bush/Gore/Nadar 3 way vote.  New Mexico (5 EV) was also decided by a razor thin margin. Buchanan was not on the ballot but Harry Browne was.   If Florida flips to Gore and the other 3 states flipped to Bush, I believe it would have been a 269-269 tie.  If Nadar was the only 3rd party candidate, that could very well have happened.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 09:47:58 PM »

No, we hated him well before that.  He's a good analyst, but he lost me in the 80's.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 06:55:03 PM »

No, we hated him well before that.  He's a good analyst, but he lost me in the 80's.

I read "Right From the Beginning" by him, and I thought I agreed with almost everything he said. Then, later, it turned out he was a big Paleo-Conservative, and I was wondering "what happened?"
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 12:33:06 AM »

They still complain about losing Illinois in 1960.
Nichlemn

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2011, 07:04:42 AM »

Buchanan claims that he was a greater spoiler than Nadar on a state by state basis.  Let's take a look at that claim.  The following question was posed:
50% - Gore
30%- Bush
20%- stay home.

I've seen this poll cited a number of times and have frequently wondered about it. Who are these Nader>Bush>Gore voters? People who want to punish Democrats, or are there quite a few "consumer safety conservatives" or something?
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2011, 07:51:30 PM »

50% - Gore
30%- Bush
20%- stay home.

I've seen this poll cited a number of times and have frequently wondered about it. Who are these Nader>Bush>Gore voters? People who want to punish Democrats, or are there quite a few "consumer safety conservatives" or something?

A lot of Muslims counted I knew in 2000 had preferences of Nader > Bush > Gore.

People don't vote on ideology 100% of the time.
Nichlemn

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2011, 10:33:58 PM »

50% - Gore
30%- Bush
20%- stay home.

A lot of Muslims counted I knew in 2000 had preferences of Nader > Bush > Gore.

People don't vote on ideology 100% of the time.

Ah that's right, he's Lebanese-American.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2012, 01:55:29 PM »

50% - Gore
30%- Bush
20%- stay home.

Conservative-leaning non-interventionist/peace types, and people concerned about the effects of corporations on small town America.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies