Music Megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:27:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Music Megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Music Megathread  (Read 340002 times)
vanguard96
United States

« on: August 10, 2017, 12:40:50 PM »

Peter Gabriel - Solsbury Hill is stuck in my head right now.  Smiley

I listened to Genesis' debut album for the first time just recently. I am not a huge Gabriel fan, BTW. It's serviceable as a light psychedelic album in a sort of Procol Harum way. And there weren't any Space Oddity type stunners or The Court of the Crimson King that would really say these guys are heads and above the rest even though they have some really nice arrangements and guitar playing. I am not a prog for complexity sake type of person but of course their debut is nothing like Selling England by the Pound or Lamb Lies Down on Broadway that's for sure. The band themselves do not like it - is it the lack of passion - what is it in particular?

Interesting speaking of the band - first post-Gabriel album Wind and Wuthering of course and another famous collaborator with Gabriel - Kate Bush, I've got her first album - The Kick Inside on repeat these days - I actually prefer "Moving" to "Wuthering Heights" though and really like Andrew Powell's arrangements in addition to his Alan Parsons Project work, and Gilmour/Floyd connection he had a hand in key releases for Cockney Rebel and Be Bop Deluxe, two of my favorite acts.

In some ways I feel that aspects of art rock / art pop including Gabriel, Robert Fripp solo, Kate Bush and such were just as progressive in the true sense of the word than prog rock especially in the days of punk, reggae, & disco when the long album length tracks and mystical space / castle rock of early and mid-70's had fallen out of favor.

I am trying to give Gabriel a re-evaluation. I am not a fan of So (overhyped hit singles) but appreciate those 2 big mid-70's Genesis albums before he left the band considerably. With that in mind I am working my way through the other Genesis Gabriel albums to eventually get to Gabriel's string of self-titled solo albums from the late 70's - around the same time that Kate Bush debuted.

It was an interesting time as the prog format was moving on and aside from punk and disco so much else was going on that would shape the direction of things to come in the 80's and beyond.

I can really see with Kate's debut how it must have appealed so much to many visionary artists like Gabriel, Prince, and Bowie.

Are there any projects or collaborations you think I should seek out given I like those 2 prog albums and artists like Kate Bush, Eno, Bowie, King Crimson, Roxy Music, Prince, and so on?
vanguard96
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 01:41:22 PM »

The Roger Waters Us + Them tour is awesome. Went to the one in DC on August 4th. Love all classic rock, big Pink Floyd fan.

I grew to like PF from when I was in TN and they had an independent classic rock station that would play their longer album tracks as well the usual ones like the Wall Pt 2 and a few tracks from DSOTM. Yes, they played a bit more Southern rock than I liked - but they mixed it up a bit and didn't seem like the precursor of XM radio's generic channels.

It sort of hurt their rep to limit such a great band to so few songs just like mainstream US classic rock radio had done to post Ziggy, pre-Let's Dance David Bowie (same 3 songs over & over again). Fleetwood Mac is reduced to about 4-5 songs, Heart to maybe 3 songs, Led Zep, Sabbath, Rush, Yes same thing. Sad.

I wish I had been able to get overseas broadcasts from England, Europe, or even more independent programs I've heard about in places like NYC or Cleveland or Chicago from years' past.

vanguard96
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 08:29:31 AM »

I got the Purple Rain 3CD + 1 DVD special edition the other day. I still have not watched the DVD yet but the from the vault CD has some good ones on there from the key 1983-84 time frame. I wish they could have added the non-Prince music from the movie as well but that's another release I suppose.

Did anyone else get it?

Would you like to see any other Prince CDs get this kind of treatment - like Sign 'O' the Times for instance?
vanguard96
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 03:30:45 PM »

Listened to Genesis' Trespass the other day - definitely passion was missing from their debut on top of prog instrumentation. Much better and definitely worth a deeper dive.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies