Music Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:22:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Music Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 46
Author Topic: Music Megathread  (Read 339857 times)
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #975 on: July 28, 2020, 06:18:17 AM »

Google MacArthur Park and you will get the unexpected result that it's a 1968 song written by Jimmy Webb and recorded by Richard Harris.

Of course, Donna Summer's version (the only one I know) stayed at #1 in the US for three weeks. THe song has the interesting, if dubious, distinction, of having been #1 around the time of the Jonestown massacre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2YcU24Wsf0

Need I say? I love this song.
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

« Reply #976 on: July 30, 2020, 08:33:58 PM »

Elton John - Tower of Babel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAA0YrzZzaY

Electric Light Orchestra - Bluebird is Dead
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rLRBwWg4tc

Sly Stone - Man Does Not Live
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2trPimOUpd0

George Harrison - Art of Dying
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqLf2vgrymU
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

« Reply #977 on: August 09, 2020, 03:51:08 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiqoknOr4z4

She fell in love, she saw a million racks

Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #978 on: August 13, 2020, 08:00:02 PM »

Have you listened to Juice's album? I thought it had some good songs like Man of the Year, but I was overall disappointed.
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

« Reply #979 on: August 14, 2020, 06:19:00 PM »

Have you listened to Juice's album? I thought it had some good songs like Man of the Year, but I was overall disappointed.

I liked it overall. Might be a bit biased since he died
Florian Geyer
Chadpotkin
Rookie
United States

« Reply #980 on: August 20, 2020, 02:10:43 PM »

Trouble - A Sinners Fame
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slfj5rqUT2U&list=PLyzAN1jEY7xuApSgzHi8_e0oZLtMG8s0W&index=4&ab_channel=Trouble-Topic
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #981 on: September 13, 2020, 01:48:19 PM »

Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band dropped a new single this past week, "Letter To You" (linked below), & will be releasing an accompanying album of the same name on Oct. 23rd:

It includes 9 new songs & new recordings of 3 legendary (widely bootlegged but never officially released) songs from the '70s, so it should be really interesting to see how those early '70s songs are gonna sound side-by-side with the new stuff.

I've been waiting for a new record with the E Street Band for so long (nearly 7 years & counting now!), so it's really good to hear that classic E Street sound in the studio again (though, of course, it's just always good in general to have new Bruce, & especially so in our current climate).
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #982 on: September 14, 2020, 08:25:38 AM »

Good new song by a German DJ and Indy grouping:

Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #983 on: September 17, 2020, 09:55:19 AM »

Between the Buried and Me is a perfect mixture of progressive death metal, classic rock, science fiction movie and carnival music. (Yes carnival music)
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #984 on: September 28, 2020, 12:19:27 AM »

Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P
« Reply #985 on: September 28, 2020, 01:10:56 AM »

That is an absolute bop.

I don't know about you, but I'm getting "farewell album" vibes from that video and what we've heard so far. Which makes me really, really sad.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #986 on: September 28, 2020, 01:45:11 PM »
« Edited: September 28, 2020, 03:31:16 PM by brucejoel99 »

That is an absolute bop.

I don't know about you, but I'm getting "farewell album" vibes from that video and what we've heard so far. Which makes me really, really sad.

Eh, I don't think he'll ever plan a last album. Hell, I think it's more likely that the man will literally die on stage before he retires. And after all, Bruce said in the recent Rolling Stone article that he has a lot of projects in the works:

Could this be the last E Street Band album? "I think what he has come to realize is, it could be," says Van Zandt. "Confronting one's mortality is both truthful and realistic, and it can assist people who are in that frame of mind - who may be leaving, or who had someone pass right now that they love. And by the time this comes out, it could be 200,000 of us. It could be cathartic for those people. It could also be literal. At this point, if you have something to say, you better say it now! Don't wait too much longer! Because who knows? I don't think he meant it literally. And if it is the last album, y'know, we went out swinging. And if it's not, we're gonna have to come back, and we're gonna have to beat it!"

Springsteen acknowledges that "no tomorrows are guaranteed," but that's as far as he'll go on the subject. And it's probably worth noting that the chorus of "Ghosts" finds him practically screaming, "I'm alive!" "I plan," says Springsteen, "to have a long road in front of me.... Some of my recent projects have been kind of summational, but really, for me, it's summational for this stage of my work life. I've got a lot left to do, and I plan to carry on."

Basically, he's realizing (or, rather, conceding) that both he & the band are old now, but I don't think that precludes him from making music 'til the day he dies. The vibe I've been getting (both from this article & the songs thus far) isn't so much a farewell album but more of a transitional album: finally coming to terms with being old & the deaths of his friends, moving on from the last decade of his work & into his later years with the hope to enjoy as much of it as he can with his friends - the E Street Band.

"Letter to You," for example, is a summation/thesis statement of what he tried to do with all of his work. It's not necessarily soul-stirring, but it's moving. Bruce speaks directly to us, which is unusual for him, given that he often hides behind characters & personas. And "Ghosts" seems to be an affirmation of life as Bruce struggles to understand his place as an aging rock-star who's seen not only his band members but his lifelong friends pass away as his very art form becomes less culturally significant. Yet he & the band assert "I am alive!" because he still has something to say, & he'll carry on because he has made promises to those that came before, & not just for himself, but for those ghosts that visit him: specifically George Theiss from his days with The Castiles, but also Clarence & Danny too.

Moreover, the article describes a "third album in the can" from 2012 (allegedly the so-called "Gospel Album") & Tracks 2 consisting of lost/unreleased full-albums, & Patti has indicated that he wrote more material this past summer during the pandemic (& him actually having the inspiration for new music & songs is notable, given that he experienced a significant period of writer's block after the early-2010s writing sessions that resulted in Wrecking Ball/Western Stars/the unreleased Gospel Album), so we certainly haven't seen the last of what's to come. I think we can confidently predict that, if he's healthy, then he'll be continuing to put out new music & tour (though not 'til 2022 at the earliest re: the latter).
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #987 on: September 28, 2020, 06:41:55 PM »

That is an absolute bop.

Eh, I don't think he'll ever plan a last album. Hell, I think it's more likely that the man will literally die on stage before he retires. And after all, Bruce said in the recent Rolling Stone article that he has a lot of projects in the works:

Could this be the last E Street Band album? "I think what he has come to realize is, it could be," says Van Zandt. "Confronting one's mortality is both truthful and realistic, and it can assist people who are in that frame of mind - who may be leaving, or who had someone pass right now that they love. And by the time this comes out, it could be 200,000 of us. It could be cathartic for those people. It could also be literal. At this point, if you have something to say, you better say it now! Don't wait too much longer! Because who knows? I don't think he meant it literally. And if it is the last album, y'know, we went out swinging. And if it's not, we're gonna have to come back, and we're gonna have to beat it!"

Springsteen acknowledges that "no tomorrows are guaranteed," but that's as far as he'll go on the subject. And it's probably worth noting that the chorus of "Ghosts" finds him practically screaming, "I'm alive!" "I plan," says Springsteen, "to have a long road in front of me.... Some of my recent projects have been kind of summational, but really, for me, it's summational for this stage of my work life. I've got a lot left to do, and I plan to carry on."

Basically, he's realizing (or, rather, conceding) that both he & the band are old now, but I don't think that precludes him from making music 'til the day he dies. The vibe I've been getting (both from this article & the songs thus far) isn't so much a farewell album but more of a transitional album: finally coming to terms with being old & the deaths of his friends, moving on from the last decade of his work & into his later years with the hope to enjoy as much of it as he can with his friends - the E Street Band.

"Letter to You," for example, is a summation/thesis statement of what he tried to do with all of his work. It's not necessarily soul-stirring, but it's moving. Bruce speaks directly to us, which is unusual for him, given that he often hides behind characters & personas. And "Ghosts" seems to be an affirmation of life as Bruce struggles to understand his place as an aging rock-star who's seen not only his band members but his lifelong friends pass away as his very art form becomes less culturally significant. Yet he & the band assert "I am alive!" because he still has something to say, & he'll carry on because he has made promises to those that came before, & not just for himself, but for those ghosts that visit him: specifically George Theiss from his days with The Castiles, but also Clarence & Danny too.

Moreover, the article describes a "third album in the can" from 2012 (allegedly the so-called "Gospel Album") & Tracks 2 consisting of lost/unreleased full-albums, & Patti has indicated that he wrote more material this past summer during the pandemic (& him actually having the inspiration for new music & songs is notable, given that he experienced a significant period of writer's block after the early-2010s writing sessions that resulted in Wrecking Ball/Western Stars/the unreleased Gospel Album), so we certainly haven't seen the last of what's to come. I think we can confidently predict that, if he's healthy, then he'll be continuing to put out new music & tour (though not 'til 2022 at the earliest re: the latter).

Good analysis. I hope you're right.
A gospel album is interesting - I can't imagine he means that in the literal sense as he's not  particularly religious, although he is spiritual to some extent and Catholicism is a regular theme throughout his career.
I'll certainly be here to listen to as much music and as many albums as he wants to put out in the future. I wish we could say the same for Billy, but I guess he decided he had nothing else to say musically Sad
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #988 on: September 28, 2020, 10:10:10 PM »

That is an absolute bop.

Good analysis. I hope you're right.
A gospel album is interesting - I can't imagine he means that in the literal sense as he's not  particularly religious, although he is spiritual to some extent and Catholicism is a regular theme throughout his career.
I'll certainly be here to listen to as much music and as many albums as he wants to put out in the future. I wish we could say the same for Billy, but I guess he decided he had nothing else to say musically Sad

Yeah, think along the lines of "We Take Care of Our Own," "Shackled & Drawn," & "Rocky Ground" from Wrecking Ball & "This Is Your Sword" from High Hopes, as they're all supposedly songs that originated from the project's sessions.

And as for Billy having nothing else to say musically, yeah, I think he unfortunately made his thoughts on the matter perfectly clear with the last song on his last album:

Tongue
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #989 on: October 08, 2020, 09:14:19 PM »

I've been on a major Prince kick lately. He was Kanye before Kanye. He used to be my absolute favorite when I was in middle school. I was not a popular kid.

Spoiler alert! Click Show to show the content.

exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #990 on: October 21, 2020, 03:36:25 PM »

Any RB fans out there?

Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #991 on: October 21, 2020, 06:30:15 PM »

You mean R&B? I like a few artists; Emotional Oranges would be my favorite.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #992 on: October 21, 2020, 06:43:30 PM »

No, I meant the band Royal Blood but I do like some R&B here and there now that you mention it. 😁
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #993 on: October 21, 2020, 09:40:16 PM »

No, I meant the band Royal Blood but I do like some R&B here and there now that you mention it. 😁

Oh, shoot, I thought that was your sig 😆 Royal Blood is pretty awesome though.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #994 on: October 27, 2020, 05:25:56 AM »

For something Halloween themed:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jtCGODjuRq0
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #995 on: November 23, 2020, 10:48:49 PM »

Believe it or not, Peter Cetera sang an acid rock song.

Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #996 on: December 30, 2020, 11:29:29 PM »

Fully convinced that this is the best rap song of the past 10 years. It's such a bop. (NSFW)

Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #997 on: January 11, 2021, 11:42:42 AM »

Addicted to this song lately.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #998 on: January 12, 2021, 12:41:34 PM »

Fully convinced that this is the best rap song of the past 10 years. It's such a bop. (NSFW)

Since it has now been more than 10 years since Ye's Gorgeous, you may be right.

I could also make arguments for Schoolboy Q's John Muir, Common's The Neighborhood, and Mick Jenkins' Jazz but none had anywhere near the impact.

Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #999 on: January 12, 2021, 12:43:27 PM »

Now playing

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 46  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies