Music Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:24:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Music Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 46
Author Topic: Music Megathread  (Read 339896 times)
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: August 29, 2010, 03:07:38 PM »

Ftr, Skinny Puppy are better than Nine Inch Nails.

Yes, Jesus Christ, finally it's been said! Cheers!
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #101 on: August 30, 2010, 03:55:43 PM »

Ftr, Skinny Puppy are better than Nine Inch Nails.

Yes, Jesus Christ, finally it's been said! Cheers!

Who's laughing now?

Unpopular Winston Disraeli Music Opinion .1 - St Anger was better than Death Magnetic
Earth

Political Matrix

« Reply #102 on: August 30, 2010, 09:26:34 PM »
« Edited: August 30, 2010, 09:43:20 PM by Earth »

I agree about that, too. It's just a shame both albums were terrible.

"My lifestyle determines my deathstyle!"

Which band member stole their kid's awful poetry?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #103 on: August 30, 2010, 10:18:59 PM »

Metallica doesn't seem to be a serious band anymore. To be fair, I only listened to a combined total of four songs off those two albums. All Nightmare Long was the only one of those songs that was actually any good, faux badass title aside.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #104 on: August 31, 2010, 09:41:56 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This is actually not that big of an issue.  Imo, at least they tried something different with St. Anger while Death Magnetic was more or less back to basics.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #105 on: August 31, 2010, 05:05:19 PM »

Unpopular Winston Disraeli Music Opinion .2 - A Tribute to Jack Johnson is better than Bitches Brew (Miles Davis)
Earth

Political Matrix

« Reply #106 on: August 31, 2010, 09:27:31 PM »

Unpopular Winston Disraeli Music Opinion .2 - A Tribute to Jack Johnson is better than Bitches Brew (Miles Davis)

Agreed.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #107 on: August 31, 2010, 09:54:57 PM »

Metallica doesn't seem to be a serious band anymore. To be fair, I only listened to a combined total of four songs off those two albums. All Nightmare Long was the only one of those songs that was actually any good, faux badass title aside.

That seems to happen to groups that have been around for a while.  The quality of their music tends to decay.  That is, if they started out with good music.  Lady GaGa and other pop stars will always have bad music, because their music has never been good.

I think major record labels have something to do with it.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #108 on: August 31, 2010, 10:01:02 PM »

That seems to happen to groups that have been around for a while.  The quality of their music tends to decay.  That is, if they started out with good music.  Lady GaGa and other pop stars will always have bad music, because their music has never been good.

The labels have something to do with it yes.  Of course, that mostly goes into "we have to write music that will sell and make us rich/safe from bankruptcy". 

And yeah sure, groups that age tend to lose their artistic spirit as we've seen before, groups that age tend to turn more and more to pop.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #109 on: August 31, 2010, 10:22:19 PM »

I don't know anything about this tribute, though I actually find Bitches Brew to be kind of overrated. I prefer In A Silent Way, to be honest.

The labels have something to do with it yes.  Of course, that mostly goes into "we have to write music that will sell and make us rich/safe from bankruptcy". 

And yeah sure, groups that age tend to lose their artistic spirit as we've seen before, groups that age tend to turn more and more to pop.

Yeah, most bands age poorly. I'm trying to think of older bands that have released an album recently that really outclassed the rest of their discography. Some have had pretty good recent albums, but I don't know of any that have really matched the best of their older material.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #110 on: August 31, 2010, 10:41:51 PM »

Yeah, most bands age poorly. I'm trying to think of older bands that have released an album recently that really outclassed the rest of their discography. Some have had pretty good recent albums, but I don't know of any that have really matched the best of their older material.

I would say that there are almost no bands that have aged over the years that have kept up to a high level of artistic quality (though the Foo Fighters, being 15 years old came out with a pretty damn good album in 07).  A lot of bands seemed to make comebacks around the late 00s though.

Nevertheless, of bands that stayed and aged (however they've broken up) and reached their artistic high point is probably the Beatles (mainly because they quit at their peak).  While other bands start artistic and turn to pop, the Beatles are the archetypal opposite of that (pop to, from what I could gather on Abbey Road and the White Album, a more complex, heavier, prog-like sound)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #111 on: August 31, 2010, 11:01:49 PM »

I would say that there are almost no bands that have aged over the years that have kept up to a high level of artistic quality (though the Foo Fighters, being 15 years old came out with a pretty damn good album in 07).  A lot of bands seemed to make comebacks around the late 00s though.

Nevertheless, of bands that stayed and aged (however they've broken up) and reached their artistic high point is probably the Beatles (mainly because they quit at their peak).  While other bands start artistic and turn to pop, the Beatles are the archetypal opposite of that (pop to, from what I could gather on Abbey Road and the White Album, a more complex, heavier, prog-like sound)

Yeah, it seems like rock bands usually either possess a coherent artistic vision from the start or they never possess one. Jazz groups seem to follow the opposite tack & become more experimental over time. There is strong stigma against this in metal, & you see humorous things, like Megadeth becoming more pop over the course of the 1990s & then returning to an older style in the early 2000s.
Earth

Political Matrix

« Reply #112 on: September 01, 2010, 12:29:32 AM »

There is strong stigma against this in metal, & you see humorous things, like Megadeth becoming more pop over the course of the 1990s & then returning to an older style in the early 2000s.

I think it's justified, certainly. Metallica, Megadeth, Testament, Anthrax, Cryptopsy, all turned into commercial oriented bands, and the music definitely suffered.

On the other hand, a band like Gorguts cemented their legacy by going into a completely different direction, and rupturing eardrums by going more extreme than any death metal act before.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #113 on: September 01, 2010, 01:07:25 AM »

There is strong stigma against this in metal, & you see humorous things, like Megadeth becoming more pop over the course of the 1990s & then returning to an older style in the early 2000s.

I think it's justified, certainly. Metallica, Megadeth, Testament, Anthrax, Cryptopsy, all turned into commercial oriented bands, and the music definitely suffered.

On the other hand, a band like Gorguts cemented their legacy by going into a completely different direction, and rupturing eardrums by going more extreme than any death metal act before.

Well I don't think anybody ever innovated by becoming more commercially-oriented. The wider listening public prefers sounds & structures that are familiar. Doing the same old stuff as everyone else may get you more admirers, but it won't influence anyone. Metallica is much more popular than Slayer, but Slayer has probably had a far bigger impact on other metal bands.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #114 on: September 01, 2010, 02:37:11 PM »

I don't know anything about this tribute, though I actually find Bitches Brew to be kind of overrated. I prefer In A Silent Way to be honest.

My favourite album ever.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #115 on: September 01, 2010, 05:41:13 PM »

Well I don't think anybody ever innovated by becoming more commercially-oriented. The wider listening public prefers sounds & structures that are familiar. Doing the same old stuff as everyone else may get you more admirers, but it won't influence anyone. Metallica is much more popular than Slayer, but Slayer has probably had a far bigger impact on other metal bands.

Nevertheless, in the future Megadeth and Metallica are probably going to influence bands more as they were in the mainstream.  Bands of the next generation tend to do such things, even if the past generation's bands sold out or turned to pop; they keep their reverence for said band and consequentially the band is given a better opinion through history.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #116 on: September 01, 2010, 08:33:32 PM »

Nevertheless, in the future Megadeth and Metallica are probably going to influence bands more as they were in the mainstream.  Bands of the next generation tend to do such things, even if the past generation's bands sold out or turned to pop; they keep their reverence for said band and consequentially the band is given a better opinion through history.

But my point is that bands that go pop have less capacity to influence others because they aren't doing much that is different from anyone else (of course they might have innovated plenty prior to going pop; it really depends on the band).
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #117 on: September 01, 2010, 11:13:29 PM »

But my point is that bands that go pop have less capacity to influence others because they aren't doing much that is different from anyone else (of course they might have innovated plenty prior to going pop; it really depends on the band).

That true.  I guess that's the problem with having a music career; eventually it just becomes playing to pay off the bills (though if it was playing to just have fun I'd respect that a lot more).
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #118 on: September 07, 2010, 03:47:39 PM »
« Edited: September 21, 2010, 04:02:17 AM by tiny cities made of ashes »

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/Jazzrivet/jazzrivets_top_25_albums_of_all_time

My top 25 albums yadda yadda. Hopelessly addicted to alt rock.

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/Jazzrivet/jazzrivets_top_50_albums_of_all_time/
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #119 on: September 07, 2010, 06:45:41 PM »

Year Zero? I would have probably replaced that with Pretty Hate Machine.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #120 on: September 07, 2010, 08:28:11 PM »

Why Definitely Maybe?
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #121 on: September 07, 2010, 08:31:38 PM »

It's edgy and sophisticated to prefer In Utero and Definitely Maybe to Nevermind and (What's the Story) Morning Glory? Tongue
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #122 on: September 07, 2010, 10:41:44 PM »
« Edited: September 07, 2010, 10:46:43 PM by Darth PiT, Imperial Speaker »

I've only listened to Kind Of Blue & In A Silent Way off that list. They're both great albums, though I am not terribly familiar with Kind Of Blue.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #123 on: September 08, 2010, 04:33:43 AM »

It's edgy and sophisticated to prefer In Utero and Definitely Maybe to Nevermind and (What's the Story) Morning Glory? Tongue

Tis my genuine opinion to be honest. Nevermind has some weak spots (I'm sick to death of Smells Like Teen Spirit, and I've never really gotten the point of Polly). Also, the best parts of Morning Glory are the title track and Champagne Supernova - the other songs are pretty standard Oasis fare.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #124 on: September 08, 2010, 04:39:52 AM »

Year Zero? I would have probably replaced that with Pretty Hate Machine.

PHM has good tracks ('Head Like A Hole', 'Sin', 'Ringfinger') but there are a lot of tracks which are kind of bland ('Kinda I Want To' being a good example). I'm actually kind of surprised you said PHM and not Downward Spiral.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 46  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies