Music Megathread

<< < (2/230) > >>

Storebought:
When I was younger, if it wasn't classical then it wasn't music.

Now I don't listen to much music at all. I've heard all that I've liked and I just prefer the silence.

k-onmmunist:
Stuff I've Discovered - 1:

I've been getting back into my grunge stuff lately and I've come to the conclusion that Nirvana are, while still being a great band, probably the worst of the grunge four (Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains and Soundgarden). Listening to Facelift by Alice in Chains and Superunknown by Soundgarden made me realise they're underrated compared to the other two. I think it may be due to the more metal based sound of both bands, especially AiC.

At the same time, I've been looking at some of the stuff by lesser known grunge bands. I downloaded Temple of the Dog's self-titled album and it was a pretty well made record - sort of like a less angsty Pearl Jam.

opebo:
Quote from: HardJump on August 07, 2010, 08:26:52 PM

And I adore Edith Piaf. I like "Milord" and "Non, je Ne Regrette Rien" There is also Charles Aznavour. I actually acquired him through my mom. "La Boheme" and "Emmenez-Moi" are my favorite.

You have interesting taste.  Have you ever listened to Charles Trenet?

As for myself I was first a fan of New Wave in my youth, then punk, then 'alternative', nowadays I also love disco and the stranger old hippy music.. and obviously those of you who visit the 'what are you listening to at the moment' thread know I love to explore non-Anglo-Saxon pop, rock, and jazz.. 

(to be honest I'm not sure I have the names of genres just right)

Citizen (The) Doctor:
Completely ignorant of music at one point in my life.  Not any longer.:D

I actually got into rock when I watched Wrestling; it introduced me to rock songs I wouldn't normally have heard on lite rock radio.:P

Anyways, I was then exposed to post-grunge bands and the sort; not exactly great artists, but still good nonetheless.  Then, I was exposed to Lostprophets and via that, alternative rock.  Around this time, I also bought Rock Band and was amazed at the great songs on it that I hadn't even heard of.

Moving on with my newfound liking of alternative rock, I moved through several bands, Fuel, Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Rise Against, the Offspring, and the list goes on and on.  Soon afterwards, I started to re-listen to the Beatles (from my younger years, I was aware of them but didn't really get into them later), and I loved their songs and delved a bit into classic rock.

Then, through a friend's recommendation, I listened to The Killers, Radiohead, then Muse, fascinated by the strange type of songs they put out.  Soon after, I heard "Happiness is a Warm Gun".  I loved the proto-prog structure it had and went with that, listening to Pink Floyd, Yes, Genesis, and Porcupine Tree (which became an instant favourite of mine).

Now, I write songs and am trying to form a band with my friend.  I play rhythm guitar and in charge of lyrics.  I'm more prog/alternative-leaning, while the other is more thrash/metal-leaning.

Oh, and when I discovered LPs, I was stoked and couldn't get enough.:D

Current tastes include Alternative, Prog, Classic, Punk, Jazz (smooth and normal), some Pop, some Hip-Hop (this is pretty much Gorillaz and De La Soul territory).

k-onmmunist:
Quote from: HardJump on August 07, 2010, 08:26:52 PM

Then there is anything in between. I really love any kind of song as long as it is not a) boring and it over 5 min generally. If it is over 5min I have to be doing something. B) it can not, CAN NOT be metal.

A - I have a 47 minute long song on my iTunes :P
B - Define metal :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page