Everything You Need to Know About Bill Brady
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:16:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Everything You Need to Know About Bill Brady
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Everything You Need to Know About Bill Brady  (Read 7898 times)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2010, 06:44:23 AM »

So far we have gotton Rasmussen polls on this race mainly and Survey USA has shown much more favorable poll numbers in the past towards the Dems. Quinn already said the tax increase would fund educational purposes not for new programs, I think that message has yet to get out to the voters. But Cohen doesn't help being on the ticket. The last PPP and R2K poll had it 3 or 4 pts well within the margin of error.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2010, 07:17:43 AM »

So far we have gotton Rasmussen polls on this race mainly and Survey USA has shown much more favorable poll numbers in the past towards the Dems. Quinn already said the tax increase would fund educational purposes not for new programs, I think that message has yet to get out to the voters. But Cohen doesn't help being on the ticket. The last PPP and R2K poll had it 3 or 4 pts well within the margin of error.

He says that the taxes would support education, but the tax legislation that he supports does not commit the proceeds to education. A version from two years ago did, but that was during Blago's years. There is a lot of mistrust in the state, and Quinn merely saying it will go to education is not as comforting in this cycle as it might be under other administrations.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2010, 07:27:35 AM »

Okay Quinn wants to increase taxes for people earning more than 50K a year, Brady wants to cut taxes for the people making over that. That tax increase doesn't touch lower middle income earners and Brady wants to lower the minimum wage to where it is at the federal level just like Judy Baar Topinka.

The Blagojevich trial is taking place and Quinn has separated himself from Blagojejvich, once the verdict comes out, that mistrust will diminish and won't be used so much in the fall.
Obscure
Rookie
United States

« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2010, 06:49:53 PM »

Okay Quinn wants to increase taxes for people earning more than 50K a year, Brady wants to cut taxes for the people making over that. That tax increase doesn't touch lower middle income earners and Brady wants to lower the minimum wage to where it is at the federal level just like Judy Baar Topinka.

The Blagojevich trial is taking place and Quinn has separated himself from Blagojejvich, once the verdict comes out, that mistrust will diminish and won't be used so much in the fall.

Thanks for reassuring me that Brady is the right choice Smiley
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2010, 09:35:31 PM »
« Edited: August 01, 2010, 09:38:07 PM by Lunar »

Other than Michigan, I'd love to see Illinois elect a Republican governor. Their current gun laws desperately need to be changed. And Brady seems to be the only one who cares about passing a shall issue law for carrying concealed weapons. The fact of the matter is their crime will not decrease until such a law has been passed.

You're aware that there's this thing called a legislature, right?

And your statement seems severely flawed.  Crime will not decrease until concealed carry laws are passed?  NYC crime has gone down over the law decade without said laws passing.  Just because, in your view, crime is guaranteed to go down if concealed carry laws pass, doesn't make them the necessary catalyst for any sort of crime reduction?  Crime is a complex outcome based on hundreds of variables. 
Obscure
Rookie
United States

« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2010, 09:38:07 PM »

Other than Michigan, I'd love to see Illinois elect a Republican governor. Their current gun laws desperately need to be changed. And Brady seems to be the only one who cares about passing a shall issue law for carrying concealed weapons. The fact of the matter is their crime will not decrease until such a law has been passed.

You're aware that there's this thing called a legislature, right?

Yes, that will need to be changed as well. But seeing as how governor has the final say, it's necessary to first elect someone who's pro-gun.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2010, 10:41:16 PM »

Crime is a complex outcome based on hundreds of variables. 

Only if you hate freedom. More guns = less crimes, always and forever.
Obscure
Rookie
United States

« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2010, 11:59:44 PM »

Amen to that
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2010, 06:18:34 AM »

Actually, his generalization was worse than that.  He said expanding gun ownership was the ONLY way to reduce crime.
Obscure
Rookie
United States

« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2010, 10:09:51 AM »

Actually, his generalization was worse than that.  He said expanding gun ownership was the ONLY way to reduce crime.

Have you SEEN Chicago?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2010, 10:44:41 AM »

Yes. 
Obscure
Rookie
United States

« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2010, 12:58:35 PM »

Gun control has more of an influence on crime than you think it does. There are many other factors but they are irrelevant. The fact of the matter is only you can protect yourself. No real criminal is afraid of law enforcement. What they are afraid of is you, another citizen, who could be carrying a potential life saving device.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2010, 01:23:57 PM »

This is why Massachusetts has the worst crime rates in the country.
Obscure
Rookie
United States

« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2010, 03:34:56 PM »

And how many of those crimes could have been prevented if the victim had a loaded firearm on his/her person at the time of attack?
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2010, 06:42:01 PM »

You know, more crimes are prevented every year with the use of guns, than the total number of deaths per year due to firearms.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2010, 06:46:52 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Bill_Brady_(Illinois_politician)&oldid=375749550

22:55, 27 July 2010 BradyforIllinois (talk | contribs) (8,359 bytes) (This page misrepresented Bill Brady, (R) Candidate for Governor. It has been changed to reflect the truth about Bill Brady by his campaign, Brady for Illinois.)

LOL. Epic fail on Brady's part.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2010, 07:36:04 PM »
« Edited: August 02, 2010, 07:38:32 PM by You were once a gentleman »

This is pretty harsh: http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Bill_Brady_%28Illinois_politician%29&action=historysubmit&diff=375817013&oldid=375811555

Check out the revised article at the bottom. It reads like it's from his direct campaign site. He's now going to be vandalism-bait for a long long time.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2010, 07:45:51 PM »

And how many of those crimes could have been prevented if the victim had a loaded firearm on his/her person at the time of attack?

I have no idea. I have to say I've never thought of our low violent crime rates as a sign we were doing something wrong, though, and that we should learn from states with much bigger problems. I guess I'm closed-minded that way.
Obscure
Rookie
United States

« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2010, 07:55:23 PM »

I have no idea. I have to say I've never thought of our low violent crime rates as a sign we were doing something wrong, though, and that we should learn from states with much bigger problems. I guess I'm closed-minded that way.

You obviously are when the FBI and other respectable crime organizations have the numbers to prove it.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2010, 09:07:13 PM »

You obviously are when the FBI and other respectable crime organizations have the numbers to prove it.

This wouldn't be John Lott's numbers, would it?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2010, 09:25:27 PM »

Yeah, those numbers don't exist.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2010, 01:37:50 PM »

Yeah, those numbers don't exist.

Even if solid data doesn't exist, the number of crimes prevented by the use of firearms is likely much higher than the number of deaths every year because of guns.

Banning them for the sole reason that they cause deaths is absurd in itself.  Using the same nanny logic, we should ban cars or swimming in the ocean.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2010, 01:44:54 PM »

It sounds like you're making facts up just to justify your position on the issue.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2010, 04:24:49 PM »

It sounds like you're making facts up just to justify your position on the issue.

I'm not.  It's a fact that guns can prevent crime.
Obscure
Rookie
United States

« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2010, 04:27:03 PM »

I'm not.  It's a fact that guns can prevent crime.

Not to mention they keep us protected from the government. Anyone wanna experience 1984? I sure don't.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies